Wednesday night on a quiet May evening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
Only seven boats in Fossil Bay. Yes, it's cool, damp and a little windy, but...I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 102
I know it's not the same as being able to see Russia from your front porch...but you can see Canada from your bow! Looks beautiful.

...but you can see Canada from your bow! Looks beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Ray
We can see Canada from the bow. That is when the clouds part and the seas get low enough.

Marin must be right...that sounds like a miserable place to cruise:). Have a good one.

Ray
Here are a few more from yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 108
Looked like a shallow bay and I looked it up on my i-pad w Navimatics and indeed it is shallow. I almost anchored there once but it looked like too many boats already there. I'll need to get used to that as most of the time up here I'm all alone in anchorages.

Beautiful country down there Carey.

Hopefully we'll be out there with Carey come Saturday.

Fossile Bay is a pretty average anchorage for here, Eric. But like the other bays on Sucia, Fossile has a lot of park buoys in it. Boats have decent anchoring room in the outer half of the bay but the inner half to 2/3 is pretty much taken up by two rows of park buoys.

As you probably know there is a nightly fee for using a marine park buoy or dock. So far as I know there is still no fee for anchoring out in the marine parks. However, anchoring is "discouraged" in water less than 30 feet deep around here because of the potential damage to the eelgrass beds. I seem to recall there is even a "no anchoring" zone just outside Cap Sante marina in Anacortes for this reason although I may be misremembering that.

All the park buoy anchors used to be big concrete blocks but they have all been replaced by screw anchors that hold the buoy mooring line off the bottom. Same reason--- protect the eelgrass beds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom