Go Back   Trawler Forum > Cruising and Events > Cruising and Events - West Coast

Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
City: Santa Fe, NM
Verizon coverage in Southern Gulf Islands ?

Next week, I embark on a 10 day cruise through the Southern Gulf Islands. I have planned stays at Poet's Cove in Bedwell Harbor and at the marina in Ganges. Other than that, I plan to stay flexible.

During the cruise, I will need to have internet access for some business issues. My plan has been to use my Apple iPad Air (with a Verizon plan) as a hotspot to obtain internet access on my computer. Of course, for this plan to work I will need to have access to Verizon's digital network while cruising.

Is there anyone who has recent experience in accessing (or failing to access) Verizon's digital network in the Southern Gulf Islands? I'd love to confirm that it is available before I depart.

Thanks very much!

Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Next week, we'll be up in the Canadian Gulf Islands as well. Verizon will switch to Telus mobility once you cross the 49th parallel. Coverage is spotty at best when you're on the water. Talk with Verizon about your data plan when roaming in British Columbia. I work up there every month. I believe my Verizon plan charges me $25 for every 100mb of data. Anyway, you may have to search for a good signal when you aren't in one of the touristy areas (Ganges, Sydney etc...)
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote