Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
What's the predominant bottom composition in the south sound? Mud, rock? Skinny muddy bottoms I'm completely comfortable with, rocky may be a bit different.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
I think the slugs get bigger the closer you get to Olympia
If you want to see the REALLY large slugs, wander around the halls of the Capitol buildings.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
What's the predominant bottom composition in the south sound? Mud, rock? Skinny muddy bottoms I'm completely comfortable with, rocky may be a bit different.

The bottom is mostly mud. There are a few sandy and rocky areas, but predominantly you will anchor in a mud bottom.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Yup stay away from the south Sound. The last time I was in Budd Inlet I ended up waiting out the tide in the mud. South of Priest Point in Budd Inlet there is very little water at low tide. In my defense, that trip was a bit before GPS and the fog was the arm's length variety.

In addition to being narrow and shallow, Hammersley Inlet has some pretty good currents.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #25

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Definitely stay in the marked channels in Budd Inlet. It's tempting to travel right down the middle, but there are shallow places. I've seen local sailors out in the middle but they probably know where the shallow spots are. The South Sound has some beautiful scenery and Olympia has one of the best farmer's markets we've been to. I think it's an area worth seeing, if only one time.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We spent the better part of a summer cruising the south sound and Hood Canal shooting video for our WA State Marine Parks Cruising Guides (Volume 2). It is quite a departure from the more familiar and desirable cruising grounds in the islands and beyond, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time down there. For one thing it was like being on a lake most of the time. And all the larger boats we encountered were heading north.

We always recommend visiting Hope Island State Park (the southern one, not the one up by Deception Pass). Only an hour out of Olympia, it has some historical features (and old farmhouse) and a very nice, long walk around the island. Very peaceful, yet so close to the state capitol.

The other thing we recommend for south sound cruising is belonging to a yacht club. The reciprocal opportunities are very good from Seattle south. Because we were "working", it was nice to be able to grab a slip every third day or so and have computers running all day to get caught up.

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote