Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
There are a lot of great resources others have mentioned. Still the seminar has one advantage and that's the interaction that you can have there. I think though that with all the available reading you can pick up what you need. You just have to do it and that's another plus of the seminar, you're forced to spend the time.

We didn't do the seminar, but we did have someone with us with a lot of knowledge of the area.

As to Glacier Bay. There are so many glaciers you'll see and love. So many different ways to see them. We did the float plane fly over and the small tour boat close up look and the freestyle look. For Glacier Bay we anchored near and got an early start and were ready to check in when they opened. We enjoyed one very full day there and then found an anchorage nearby outside for the night.

Enough people have cruised and written about the area that getting information is easy. Sorting through it all, digesting it, retaining what you need is another challenge and requires some review throughout as you plan the next day.

There's enough to see for years of exploration so you're not going to ever run short of new experiences. Quite an experience for city folk like us.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
My first experience was 2003. I had two whole seasons of boating under my belt.

I plotted and planned every inch of my route.

100% unnecessary.

My second inside passage trip was 2012.

This time I made was less apprehensive.

Personally I think the cruising guides are great entertainment, and will provide a great reference on where to go see things.

You will not have cell based internet for much of the journey, so having a guide makes allot of sense.

Charts alone are not so much fun finding civilization. We had satellite internet and phone so it was a piece of cake for us to make decisions.

I wouldn't spend the money on a seminar myself.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I plotted and planned every inch of my route.

100% unnecessary.

I wouldn't spend the money on a seminar myself.

I always plot a route before I leave, even for short hops, though it's really easy with Coastal Explorer. If necessary I move the route around when I'm travelling, but I pretty much stick to it. It forces you to pay attention to hazards before you set off. Plus, in combination with the auto pilot, it's more efficient.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thanks Retriever! I will be looking for you.

I used to boat for many years in Prince William Sound (PWS) in Alaska. Glacier Bay is second rate when you compare it to those in PWS......I will say the ice is great in adult drinks!!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Thanks Retriever! I will be looking for you.

I used to boat for many years in Prince William Sound (PWS) in Alaska. Glacier Bay is second rate when you compare it to those in PWS......I will say the ice is great in adult drinks!!!
We did take a cruise/tour to Columbia Glacier in PWS. It was an incredible experience. It was especially nice because we'd see a couple of glaciers by then, including Glacier Bay but then seeing the Glacier there just took it to another level. If I recall correctly there was something like a million tons of ice released per day. Plus all the sea life you see in that area.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote