SF to Seattle in April/May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi all, I am considering taking my boat up the coast in the April/May timeframe if anyone is interested in joining as a buddy boat.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm doing the trip, but can't leave until late April at the earliest.
I have not spent much time looking at the pilot charts yet.
If April was significantly better than May, I'd make an effort to start sooner, but I doubt that's the case.

I'm doing the trip, but can't leave until late April at the earliest.
I have not spent much time looking at the pilot charts yet.
If April was significantly better than May, I'd make an effort to start sooner, but I doubt that's the case.

Hi Richard, I'll ping you as we get closer to making the trek. Thanks!

Hi all, looks like I'll be making the trip north from the Bay Area to Anacortes in late May (weather permitting). Just an update in case anyone is thinking about doing the same.

You won’t be alone. When we brought Hobo down, we ran into a fleet of north bound boats. Some were the go fast-20 plus knots, 10-15 knot boats and then the rest of us. The groups would get holed up waiting on the weather usually for a few days. It’s an annual north bound migration. The boats were pretty well split between delivery skippers and owners getting to the PNW and SE AK for the season. You should have a fun trip.

Last edited:
You won’t be alone. When we brought Hobo down, we ran into a fleet of north bound boats. Some were the go fast-20 plus knots, 10-15 knot boats and then the rest of us. The groups would get holed up waiting on the weather usually for a few days. It’s an annual north bound migration. The boats were pretty well split between delivery skippers and owners getting to the PNW and SE AK for the season. You should have a fun trip.

Thanks Larry! Good to know we may have company. I was considering bringing it up myself, but I am just not familiar with the coast heading north, and I have zero experience crossing bars, and didn't want to chance it.

Crossed the Columbia River Bar last week and currently in the San Juans!!

Thanks Larry! Good to know we may have company. I was considering bringing it up myself, but I am just not familiar with the coast heading north, and I have zero experience crossing bars, and didn't want to chance it.

If you have all the time in the world, the water will be smooth as glass and you will never cross a bar. If you are on a dead line, the trip will be scarier than hell.

You have probable heard horror stories about Cape Mendocino. It seems to be a storm magnet. Use predict wind and wait for a break in the wind at Mendocino. Once you clear the cape it is an easy series of one day jaunts up the coast. I like to run for 24 hrs then take a night off, Bodega to Crescent, Crescent to New Port, and New Port to Neah Bay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom