Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
SF Bay/CA Delta Cellphone Coverage

I've had ATT for many years and have never had any real problems with coverage except on the Delta Loop. Now that my daughters have left the nest, I am looking into changing cellphone companies for Meg and me (and my tablet). I am looking for the company with the best coverage in the SF Bay and CA Delta waters.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best coverage and price? So many plans out there are offshoots of the main 3 - ATT (Cricket), TMobile (MetroPCS, GoSmart), Verizon and Sprint (Boost, Virgin). I presume they use the same cell tower network as the parent company and have phone compatibility. For this reason, I'm leaning toward Cricket, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide in this search!

Edited for correction

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The coverage maps by zip code are pretty accurate these days. MetroPCS is T-Mobile by the way. The T-Mobile based plans are generally the best bargains these days. Plus their Sims work in Att phones. If their coverage works for you, also look into brands like Lyca Mobile (T-Mobile based) or Red Pocket Mobile (available on all four networks). Rather than get an additional plan for your tablet, enable your phones as wi-fi hot spots. If you have any further questions, give me a PM, I've been in the biz a long time.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The coverage maps by zip code are pretty accurate these days. MetroPCS is T-Mobile by the way. The T-Mobile based plans are generally the best bargains these days. Plus their Sims work in Att phones. If their coverage works for you, also look into brands like Lyca Mobile (T-Mobile based) or Red Pocket Mobile (available on all four networks). Rather than get an additional plan for your tablet, enable your phones as wi-fi hot spots. If you have any further questions, give me a PM, I've been in the biz a long time.
You're right....MetroPCS and GoSmart are TMobile, not Verizon. Can't read my own writing!

Thanks for the offer. Lots to read and compare...

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
omc

City: Antibes
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
I'm boating there sometimes,
Areas : SF, Bay Bridge, GG bridge, Sausalito, Tiburon, Angel Island, San Pablo bay, Delta, etc.. I didn't have any issue so far with coverage on my TMobile 415 #.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
We use Verizon for our smartphones, tablet, and hub. Talk, text, email, internet, have all worked without issue, so far, in the areas we go.

My wife is working most of the time on the boat, so phone/email/text, is really important for her.

Not the least expensive.

MB
Old 02-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I've had ATT for many years and have never had any real problems with coverage except on the Delta Loop. Now that my daughters have left the nest, I am looking into changing cellphone companies for Meg and me (and my tablet). I am looking for the company with the best coverage in the SF Bay and CA Delta waters.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best coverage and price? So many plans out there are offshoots of the main 3 - ATT (Cricket), TMobile (MetroPCS, GoSmart), Verizon and Sprint (Boost, Virgin). I presume they use the same cell tower network as the parent company and have phone compatibility. For this reason, I'm leaning toward Cricket, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide in this search!

Edited for correction
I have sprint and coverage is spotty in the delta, so you can cross that one off. I have a verizon phone as well but havrnt been able to test it around the loop yet.

Scott

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote