SF Bay/CA Delta Cellphone Coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've had ATT for many years and have never had any real problems with coverage except on the Delta Loop. Now that my daughters have left the nest, I am looking into changing cellphone companies for Meg and me (and my tablet). I am looking for the company with the best coverage in the SF Bay and CA Delta waters.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best coverage and price? So many plans out there are offshoots of the main 3 - ATT (Cricket), TMobile (MetroPCS, GoSmart), Verizon and Sprint (Boost, Virgin). I presume they use the same cell tower network as the parent company and have phone compatibility. For this reason, I'm leaning toward Cricket, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide in this search!

Edited for correction

Last edited:
The coverage maps by zip code are pretty accurate these days. MetroPCS is T-Mobile by the way. The T-Mobile based plans are generally the best bargains these days. Plus their Sims work in Att phones. If their coverage works for you, also look into brands like Lyca Mobile (T-Mobile based) or Red Pocket Mobile (available on all four networks). Rather than get an additional plan for your tablet, enable your phones as wi-fi hot spots. If you have any further questions, give me a PM, I've been in the biz a long time.

The coverage maps by zip code are pretty accurate these days. MetroPCS is T-Mobile by the way. The T-Mobile based plans are generally the best bargains these days. Plus their Sims work in Att phones. If their coverage works for you, also look into brands like Lyca Mobile (T-Mobile based) or Red Pocket Mobile (available on all four networks). Rather than get an additional plan for your tablet, enable your phones as wi-fi hot spots. If you have any further questions, give me a PM, I've been in the biz a long time.

You're right....MetroPCS and GoSmart are TMobile, not Verizon. Can't read my own writing!

Thanks for the offer. Lots to read and compare...

I'm boating there sometimes,
Areas : SF, Bay Bridge, GG bridge, Sausalito, Tiburon, Angel Island, San Pablo bay, Delta, etc.. I didn't have any issue so far with coverage on my TMobile 415 #.

We use Verizon for our smartphones, tablet, and hub. Talk, text, email, internet, have all worked without issue, so far, in the areas we go.

My wife is working most of the time on the boat, so phone/email/text, is really important for her.

Not the least expensive.

MB

I've had ATT for many years and have never had any real problems with coverage except on the Delta Loop. Now that my daughters have left the nest, I am looking into changing cellphone companies for Meg and me (and my tablet). I am looking for the company with the best coverage in the SF Bay and CA Delta waters.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best coverage and price? So many plans out there are offshoots of the main 3 - ATT (Cricket), TMobile (MetroPCS, GoSmart), Verizon and Sprint (Boost, Virgin). I presume they use the same cell tower network as the parent company and have phone compatibility. For this reason, I'm leaning toward Cricket, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide in this search!

Edited for correction

I have sprint and coverage is spotty in the delta, so you can cross that one off. I have a verizon phone as well but havrnt been able to test it around the loop yet.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom