Seine Net Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Driving home from our boat yesterday we drove through the tiny town of Bayside.* Bayside is the home of the Rozema Boatworks http://www.rozemaboatworks.com, a company that specializes in aluminum utility boats like crabbers, oil skimmers, etc.* They've also built a few recreational boats based on their commercial boat designs.

These two brand new seine net boats were sitting in their yard.* These are the very powerful boats carried on the sterns of purse seiners that are launched to pull the net around a school of fish.* The net is paid out from the net drum on the seinger and the net boat hauls it around in a big circle back to the seiner.* Needless to say, these ilttle boats are very powerful.* Big automotive gas engines used to be the powerplant of choice* but I believe all the ones built today are diesel powered.* I don't know what's in these two.

The underside of the boat is designed so they can literally run over the net without fouling the net or the prop and rudder.* Some net boats have "normal" rudders.* These are the first ones I've seen that use a Kort nozzle for steering.

Great examples of form following function in the purest sense.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 02:10:29 AM

Attachments

• net boat 6.jpg
    net boat 6.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 263
  • net boat 5.jpg
    net boat 5.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 223
  • net boat 4.jpg
    net boat 4.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 505
  • net boat 2.jpg
    net boat 2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 283
  • net boat 1.jpg
    net boat 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 423
Very interesting!* I imagine they aren't very fuel-efficient, but then they don't need to be.

The only seine boats I've heard running have been gas-powered ones going between the commercial basin in our marina and the fuel dock though our part of the marina. It's a bit like watching a Stearman crop duster, the ones that had their original engine replaced with a much more powerful one. You hear this immense noise (the seine boat's I've seen running seem to be totally unmuffled) and then this boat creeps into view. They are built purely for power as I imagine a seine net is extremely heavy let alone all the drag it has once it's in the water. Speed and fuel efficiency are irrelvant in this application.

Rozema has built some pretty nice boats, including a couple oil spill response boats I work on in Juneau.* They are well built, sturdy, and handle quite well.* A few years back they built an aluminum yacht.* No wood or paint on the outside, but very nice inside.............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:
Rozema has built some pretty nice boats, including a couple oil spill response boats I work on in Juneau.* They are well built, sturdy, and handle quite well.* A few years back they built an aluminum yacht.* No wood or paint on the outside, but very nice inside.............Arctic Traveller
JeffRozema has built three yachts that I know of, including one about 45', and a 46' based on the oil skimmer, named "Raven". Raven belongs to good friends in Friday Harbor and is currently for sale. Asking in the high $500k range. Single engine 660 hp Cat. She will cruise 20 knots, but has been run closer to 10 knots for economy. Very nice boat. The last pleasure boat I know of out of Rozema is a 55' version of Raven.
http://wolfemarine.com/privatelabel...d=100&ftid=&enid=&city=&spid=146&msint=&ps=30

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 11:05:08 PM

The usual term for these is "Power Skiff"; used in the salmon and herring fisheries in Ak, BC and Wa.* Some restrictions apply--for example in the BC salmon fisheries they can only be used in Juan de Fuca (Area 20).* 165 hp is typical.* In Ak, they can use the power skiff but cannot use a drum on the stern.* The net is towed out by the power skiff and is used to hold the shape of the net in a crescent during the tow and to assist in the closing of the net prior to the pursing operation.* During the pursing operation, the skiff tows on the main vessel to keep the overall shape of the closed net.

Attachments

• img_1388.jpg
    img_1388.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 154
  • img_1392.jpg
    img_1392.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 180
  • img_1396.jpg
    img_1396.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 175
Back
Top Bottom