San Juan's in March?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marine forecasts around here usually are changing up until the last one. Many times they improve.

Should be a nice trip. The current will change direction in Rosario around the time you will be leaving crossing. If the forecasts hold true you will have an East wind against a South running current. Which on the face of it shouldn’t be bad but Rosario can be surprising.

Maybe a 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor? I would sit tight in Friday Harbor on Friday given the forecast. Keep an eye on the currents. You don’t want to be caught out with the current and wind opposing each other.

Dave, would you share your weather sources? You already mentioned Windy, so we know that one.

Dave, would you share your weather sources? You already mentioned Windy, so we know that one.

I find windy is great. I also use an app called Live Marine that gives current bouy and weather station data. So I just called it up and it tells me that Smith Island is currently reporting 10 kts North wind with gusts to 13 kts.

I have Sirius weather on the boat, but find the Windy app to be more useful if I have a good cell connection.

Marine forecasts around here usually are changing up until the last one. Many times they improve.

Yeah, I often find that actual condition in the different straits are better than forecast. The problem of course if that if the forecast calls for 15-20, you can’t count on it being less than forecast.

Small craft advisory now. Looks like we may be staying in Anacortes tonight!

Great advice guys, things I could never know on my own. Thank you so much!

Right now the forecast for the next few hours doesn’t look bad for going to Friday Harbor, more importantly the weather stations in the area are currently reporting much less wind than forecast.

I would probably make the decision to leave for Friday Harbor if you can leave around 3pm. Of course, I make lousy decisions a lot of time.

This is good stuff guys. The son and I are headed up to the 'Juans for his spring break, 2nd week of April. Weather sure is a mixed bag, but having the freedom of easily finding a slip is worth it.

Our checkout skipper gave us the same advice - go before 3. Made Friday Harbor with zero problems. Of course the ability to do 17 knots helped a couple of times! Really glad we took the chance. Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks a million for all of the help and advice. It really is helpful and appreciated.
BD
PS - we'll have to check into Vinny's now.

Our checkout skipper gave us the same advice - go before 3. Made Friday Harbor with zero problems. Of course the ability to do 17 knots helped a couple of times! Really glad we took the chance. Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks a million for all of the help and advice. It really is helpful and appreciated.
BD
PS - we'll have to check into Vinny's now.

Great. I'd be curious as to what the conditions in Rosario were. I wasn't able to watch the weather but I don't think it would have been too bad. Have a great time!

About 2 feet, well spaced. Some current but nothing difficult. We did about 16 knots through there though. Just wanted to get it behind us.

About 2 feet, well spaced. Some current but nothing difficult. We did about 16 knots through there though. Just wanted to get it behind us.

Excellent. Thank you!

I asked only because it is easy to view reported conditions and the known currents and surmise what the conditions are, but it is much better to get first had reports. Your description matches my expectations which is very reassuring.

Something that impressed me the last time I was in the Chesapeake Bay Area was the number of buoys they had that reported conditions. The Salish Sea is sorely lacking that in that area, particularly in regards to sea state. I’d love to see some of the those types of buoys deployed in the PNW.

Well what a great day this was. From Friday Harbor we went up to Jones Island and spent some time hiking around. Really enjoyed that. The haul across to Speiden Channel was a bit rough because they were on the beam, but nothing to be concerned about. Stayed at Roche tonight because of the forecast but tomorrow we should be at Sucia and Reid. Either way we got to walk the sculpture garden and have a great lunch so no regrets stopping here. So different than what we expected from the forecast!

Glad you had a good time. So often the weather is less than forecast. The problem is, once you start expecting it, then the forecast turns out to be correct.

Headed out to Inati Bay on Lummi Island for the night. Great little anchorage.

Headed out to Inati Bay on Lummi Island for the night. Great little anchorage.
I anchored there just once.. and lost my anchor!:facepalm: Some time ago, with my 33' Monk cruiser. I told my dad who used to tow logs all over Puget Sound and he said oh sure, that bottom is fouled with all manner of log raft building stuff, rope, wire, chains. No wonder. Never again.

Prevost and Reid Harbor today and now we're on a ball at Sucia. Love watching the seals swarm around us. Beautiful day. Turns out March is a great time for the San Juan's!
BD

It can be, or it can just plain suck. You got lucky, enjoy. Good you are on a fast boat, to see so much so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom