Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #41
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
We enjoy Telegraph Harbor on Thetis Island. Nice walks, a super honor system grocery, a ferry to Chemainus and peaceful. Two marinas to choose from, one with a pub and good food and one with more family facilities and Great ice cream. A dinghy ride between them in a protected harbor too. We also like Silva Bay and seeing the petroglyphs on Gabriola Island. There is bus service around the island and we also hitch hike and feel safe. Lots of places to anchor out it the Gulf Islands as well.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Laguna beach
Vessel Name: Stormy
Vessel Model: Grandbanks 46 europa
Last year we had just bought our boat and kept it in Bellingham. Because we live in so cal, we were only able to do 3 4 day weekends and one 8 day trip. We finished up leaving the boat in Sydney. Over those trips, we learned the boat by cruising through the san Juan's and southern Gulf Islands. I would recommend staying in those two areas and save going north for at least a two week trip. You can experience anchoring, mooring, or docks. You can experience some quiet areas or towns. A great way to learn along the way. Just go do it! Leaving the dock is the hardest part. We found many helpful people along the way when we needed advise. Good luck....we'll be on the water next August /sept.

Gbonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #43

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Members,

Thanks to the thoughtful input of many contributors here, we are ready to depart for this exciting adventure. We have hired a captain to provide us with some twin engine training tomorrow, and we'll head to the Gulf Islands on Saturday. Several things have changed, including the boat. The 39' Californian has mechanical problems, so Anacortes Yacht Charters has replaced her with Destiny - a 42' Navigator. Destiny has the advantage of bow and stern thrusters (plus many other upgrades) so we're quite satisfied with the substitution.

We have scaled back our plans considerably based on the feedback here, and we're already glad we did. Researching the new itinerary has shown us how many wonderful spots we would be passing by! We do not have a fixed schedule, but have general intentions to at least visit Ganges, Princess Cove, Nanaimo, Butchart Gardens, Victoria, Sidney Spit, Maple Bay, Ladysmith, Telegraph Harbor, and Annette Inlet. We have plenty of other great options on the list if any or all of these don't work out.

If any of you are out on the water, please keep an eye out for Destiny. I'll be the guy with the big smile wearing the Trawler Forum t-shirt!

Thanks so much for all of your help,
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:01 AM   #44
Guru

City: Sidney
Hmmmmm...

You still out there somewhere?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #45
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Ganges is a zoo. Also, Silva Bay has been ruined by mooring buoys. Otherwise the rest should be excellent.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Ganges is a zoo. Also, Silva Bay has been ruined by mooring buoys. Otherwise the rest should be excellent.
Perceptions vary. True, Ganges is something of a zoo but we find it an interesting and fun sort of zoo. Granted, we have never been there during the summer as we won't cruise during that time (other than to our property in the San Juans) because the whole region is a zoo with way too many boaters out there for our liking. So our visits to Ganges have allwys been in September/October.

Silva Bay is another one of our favorites. We find the vessesls on the buoys to be pretty interesting and unique sometimes. We always stay at the marina because we like supporting the local businesses in the islands. So we eat at their very good restaurant and walk the docks looking at the local boats. I suppose if we were trying to anchor in the bay it could be frustrating, however.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Hmmmmm...

You still out there somewhere?
If you're referring to me (the OP), sadly no. We had one small incident during our training. The port transmission shift cable broke while trying to shift into reverse on our VERY LAST docking exercise of the training. We hit the dock but fortunately nobody was injured. Other than that, the trip was truly exceptional. I was amazed by the amount of control that we had with twin engines, although I did use the thrusters if I felt it was prudent. All four of us got experience at the helm, chart plotting, navigating, docking, anchoring, dingy launching, the whole nine yards. We also had a great variety of moorings, anchorages, and marinas, and we got to see lots of nature and some great cities too. The only thing we didn't get was whales

Unfortunately my photos are not on my computer here at work, but I do have one sunset photo that I took from Princess Cove.

Thanks for helping me recall the trip!
BD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess Cove.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	42351  
Old 07-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
If you're referring to me (the OP), sadly no. We had one small incident during our training. The port transmission shift cable broke while trying to shift into reverse on our VERY LAST docking exercise of the training. We hit the dock but fortunately nobody was injured. Other than that, the trip was truly exceptional. I was amazed by the amount of control that we had with twin engines, although I did use the thrusters if I felt it was prudent. All four of us got experience at the helm, chart plotting, navigating, docking, anchoring, dingy launching, the whole nine yards. We also had a great variety of moorings, anchorages, and marinas, and we got to see lots of nature and some great cities too. The only thing we didn't get was whales

Unfortunately my photos are not on my computer here at work, but I do have one sunset photo that I took from Princess Cove.

Thanks for helping me recall the trip!
BD
That’s it?

Part of becoming a seasoned sailor is sharing knowledge and experiences which was done for you here. I would even go so far as to suggest some of the comments prevented you from being the next season of Survivor.

“Hit the dock…trip was exceptional…no whales.”

A good time to add some seasoning perhaps?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #49

Fair enough - there are plenty of experiences to share. I'll post a couple when I'm not on my employers dime.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Fair enough - there are plenty of experiences to share. I'll post a couple when I'm not on my employers dime.

Thanks.

It will be fun to see how it went and just how far you actually got in 8 days. And of course what happened before-during-after the Harvey Wharf Banger episode and the multitude of lessons learned in that 15 minutes.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post

It will be fun to see how it went and just how far you actually got in 8 days. And of course what happened before-during-after the Harvey Wharf Banger episode and the multitude of lessons learned in that 15 minutes.
To start I feel like I should add a little color to the docking experience. My wife has a very real and rationed anxiety about driving (actually about crashing) big expensive boats. However, she has always insisted that she learn and participate fully, and she has done admirably. In fact, that afternoon our skipper had given us all kudos for our performance with twin engines, but specifically mentioned that she was doing the best.

The whole day long the shifting on the portside had gotten stickier and harder, and I had already told the skipper that we wouldn’t be taking the boat until they did something about that. As I previously mentioned, we had all made it through the full day of docking and maneuvering training, and (of course) my wife was the last one. It was a tough one, with a tight slip and wind blowing you onto the dock but she had it nailed. All she needed to do was reverse to stop the boat and I was ready to step off and cleat it. But instead one engine remained in gear as the cable broke , and we drove straight into the dock. There was definitely some damage to the dock but the boat was okay, and thankfully nobody was injured. She was horribly shaken though and honestly I thought it might be the end of the trip as her very worst fears had just been realized.

We had plenty of time to process the incident as we waited for repairs to come. After a couple hours she acknowledged that it could have been any of us at the helm, and that she had done nothing other than follow the instructions of the skipper. To her credit she backed the boat out after it was repaired and took us back to the charter base.

One good thing that came of this event was that we had time at Cap Sante while we waited for repairs, and there was a Nordic Tug rendezvous that weekend. While walking around admiring the boats, my strategically purchased Trawler Forum t-shirt worked its magic! A nice young man noticed and asked me what my Forum ID was. I was lucky enough to make introduction with forum member Retriever, who is a Waggoner Guide editor! He was at the dock preparing for leading a flotilla up to Alaska, and he was busy making preparations. It was a very nice meeting, and he was a very impressive fellow – I was pleased to have met him.

We had favorable conditions and made Friday Harbor about an hour before sunset. We made fast in our slip without consequence, and celebrated the beginning of what we hoped to be a wonderful adventure . If we only had known how wonderful it would be! I’ll share more details about the other days but I promise to not blather on so long anymore.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
I’ll share more details about the other days but I promise to not blather on so long anymore.
Nice start, thanks and don't worry about blather.
You write and we can decide to read...or not.