Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatnow View Post
What are thoughts on the minimum time you would want to go from Anacortes to Desolation Sound and the same question for Princess Louisa?

We're doing a 10 day charter in September and are just starting to kick around some ideas.

Thanks!
10 days is just about right to go to pli and back from wa. Desolation sound would be too far for that amount of time.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

We went to Princess Louisa from Anacortes a couple of years ago. We averaged around 9 knts. Took one day to Nanaimo, one day to Pender Harbour, and one day from Pender to PLI. That gives you a maximum of 4 days at PLI.

Two things can add time to the trip. If Georgia Strait kicks up, you could end up waiting on one side or the other for a day or two. You also have to plan your entrance to the inlet for close to slack tide. That might add another day. I know a NT 42 can cruise faster than 9 knots if your willing to burn the fuel, so your planning may be a little different.

I think it's one of the most beautiful places in the Northwest, maybe in the world, so it's worth the effort of getting there.
Lyle

Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #23

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
This discussion is making me highly motivated to get my spring maintenance done! We just moved the boat to Anacortes so can't wait for the summer season to start
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #24

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
10 days is just about right to go to pli and back from wa. Desolation sound would be too far for that amount of time.
Actually, the distance from Pender Harbor to Malibu Rapids is almost identical to the distance from Pender Harbor to Sarah Point (the entrance to Desolation Sound). Therefore, distance isn't the issue.

This issue is what to do when you get there. When you go to PLI, there is only one place to go. Could be done comfortably in 10 days, including a couple of reserve days in case the Strait of Georgia acts up.

Whereas, Desolation Sound has many, many great places to go, and you'll probably want to spend at least 10 days just there alone.

For me, 10 days to PLI is OK. Desolation Sound, nothing less than 14 days. But, not because of distance.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Here s a link to a blog we wrote a couple of years ago about cruising to PLI and the Gulf Islands that might give you some spots to consider.

Princess Louisa Inlet 2010
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
Here s a link to a blog we wrote a couple of years ago about cruising to PLI and the Gulf Islands that might give you some spots to consider.

Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

I read in your blog that you paid $144.46 duty on extra wine brought into Canada. Wow, that's a lot! Was it a lot of wine, or just a couple of bottles? I realize you may not want to answer that and I understand.

The reason I ask, is because we're taking some friends with us in a couple of months and they're wine drinkers and will want to bring their own. I have no idea what to expect duty wise..

Also, how do you pay for the duty? Will they just accept a credit card? And, if there's no agent on duty (most of the time for us it's this way), will they just accept the credit card by phone as well?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #27
Guru

Hello,

Well, on the wine duty it was all done over the phone. We carried enough for 3 weeks and it was mostly higher end wine. They asked how much each bottle costs and the guy freaked out when I told him the prices. He said what is your cheapest bottle and I told him $14.00, He said lets calculate the duty at this price or else you will pay a huge amount of duty. I don't think they normally do it that way. We paid by credit card over the phone. All in All it was a good experience. I always went with the honesty policy to avoid any issues and thanked him for his courtesy in the matter. We checked in at Bedwell on the phone. I do not remember what the amount is for each person so that can help if there are a few people on board to declare the number of bottles. I think we carried something like 16 bottles or so... It was/is a special trip and the wine was perfect for the evening dinners as you probably read.

Keith
Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Just a note on taking wine to British Columbia. Eastern B.C. is a lot like Eastern Washington state and they produce some very good wines there. If you are stopping someplace like Nanaimo on your way north, save yourself the duty and buy some B.C. wines.

I've had some very good B.C. wines over the years and enjoyed getting to know about their wines. Some have been good enough that I've wished they were easy to find at home.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Hello,

Well, on the wine duty it was all done over the phone. We carried enough for 3 weeks and it was mostly higher end wine. They asked how much each bottle costs and the guy freaked out when I told him the prices. He said what is your cheapest bottle and I told him $14.00, He said lets calculate the duty at this price or else you will pay a huge amount of duty. I don't think they normally do it that way. We paid by credit card over the phone. All in All it was a good experience. I always went with the honesty policy to avoid any issues and thanked him for his courtesy in the matter. We checked in at Bedwell on the phone. I do not remember what the amount is for each person so that can help if there are a few people on board to declare the number of bottles. I think we carried something like 16 bottles or so... It was/is a special trip and the wine was perfect for the evening dinners as you probably read.

Keith
Oops! I forgot to compliment you on your blog! And, hopefully you'll finish your Desolation Sound one also!

At any rate, thanks for the answer!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Buy it in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
I read in your blog that you paid $144.46 duty on extra wine brought into Canada. Wow, that's a lot! Was it a lot of wine, or just a couple of bottles? I realize you may not want to answer that and I understand.

The reason I ask, is because we're taking some friends with us in a couple of months and they're wine drinkers and will want to bring their own. I have no idea what to expect duty wise..

Also, how do you pay for the duty? Will they just accept a credit card? And, if there's no agent on duty (most of the time for us it's this way), will they just accept the credit card by phone as well?
If I were you I would not take much wine into Canada. I would take the opportunity to buy your wine in Canada. It avoids the problem all together. That said here is the link to Canada Customs Travellers - Alcohol and Tobacco Limits. It looks like it is two (2) bottles per drinking age adult.

Have fun on your trip!

Shawn
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #31

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Or, just crack each bottle and take a sip from each one before entering. Then it just becomes bar stock. I do it every time I return from the US.
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA.
Thanks for the blog link Keith. Good info.
goboatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #33
Guru

Thanks for reading the blog. We also do buy wine in Canada, but have yet to find something close to what we really prefer. Paying duty was not a huge deal to us, it became part of the trip. We like cruising in Canada and find the Canadians to be very friendly especially the Customs people we have dealt with over the years. Our biggest gripe with Customs is re-entering the US. They just seem so grumpy and lacking some in the people skills department. Yes, they have a job to do and I am glad they do it, but a little kindness goes a long way. Ahh, but that is another thread.......
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #34

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Do you happen to remember what the duty rate was. I too am thinking of going this route also. I like that Sleemans Honey Brown, but $60 for 24 beer, is pretty steep. Thks.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Do you happen to remember what the duty rate was. I too am thinking of going this route also. I like that Sleemans Honey Brown, but $60 for 24 beer, is pretty steep. Thks.
Price in the liq.store is better now..........

SLEEMAN - HONEY BROWN LAGER | BC Liquor Stores
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #36
Guru

I am sorry but I do not remember the duty rate.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #37

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Thks roche and kolive. I can live with that price.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #38

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesy View Post
Indeed if you can make it to Montague, the hummingbird pub and the bus are an absolute must!
Agreed! The bus ride was hilarious, especially for our kids!
Don't forget to take some pocket change along, the bus ride was free but the driver makes his living off the tips.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #39

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Quote:
Thanks for reading the blog. We also do buy wine in Canada, but have yet to find something close to what we really prefer. Paying duty was not a huge deal to us, it became part of the trip. We like cruising in Canada and find the Canadians to be very friendly especially the Customs people we have dealt with over the years. Our biggest gripe with Customs is re-entering the US. They just seem so grumpy and lacking some in the people skills department. Yes, they have a job to do and I am glad they do it, but a little kindness goes a long way. Ahh, but that is another thread.......
I did the trip to PLI two years ago, and am thinking about Desolation this year. I didn't stop over in Nanimo, but really liked Pender and Telegraph. Great trip. You can see from the second picture where the TF banner picture was taken.

As you said, the Canadian customs folks were quite friendly, and I was expecting a bad experience on the US side (I didn't buy a sticker ahead of time). I cleared customs at Friday Harbor and found them to be equally friendly. It was a pleasant surprise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6689.sized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	29200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6691.sized.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	29201  

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote