Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Radar reflector

This morning, while westbound in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, i n patchy fog, I was warily working my way through swarms of little, 16 to maybe 22 foot sportfishers. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the little buggers made a decent primary radar target at about 3 miles.

I couldn't perceive characteristics that made some weak to invisible, but the most remarkable was a 19-footer who didn't show up til a quarter mile. As he passed, I noted he had one of those cylindrical reflectors, i.e. a 24-inch plastic tube with little metal vanes inside. It was mounted on his bow pulpit like a jackstaff.

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
I thought those had to be mounted horizontal and well above deck.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I thought those had to be mounted horizontal and well above deck.
Every one I've seen was mounted vertically, but I did some reading, and vertical is the manufacturer's ' intent. Height improves range, of course, but isn't really part of the functionality.

They seem to be a bad bargain, even at $25/
Old 07-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
They were showing up so well because most were metal boats. IKt's the low profile wooden and fiberglass that are hard to spot.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Practical Sailor published a test of various radar reflectors, years ago. That unit finished last.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Practical Sailor published a test of various radar reflectors, years ago. That unit finished last.

Yup. Not a good reflector and located at the worst possible location.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Every one I've seen was mounted vertically, but I did some reading, and vertical is the manufacturer's ' intent. Height improves range, of course, but isn't really part of the functionality.

They seem to be a bad bargain, even at $25/

Thanks for clearing that up. I agree it's not worth the effort for such little return even at $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
They were showing up so well because most were metal boats. IKt's the low profile wooden and fiberglass that are hard to spot.

I'm going to line my boat with aluminum foil and put a foil hat on it. LOL

I'm planning to use some foil-faced insulation in several places on my boat. I wonder if that would be picked up on radar. Some will be horizontal like in the cabin roof. Some will be vertical like around the engine box. Being that my boat is small, I wonder if that would be enough to bounce the signal around and give the transmitting boat a good image. Nothing better than being around 30 feet long and giving off the radar signature of a small destroyer.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Interesting possibility. I didn't "filter" my observations for that variable, but there was an awful lot of plastic out there.

Fortunately, the vis was about half a mile, they were all trolling and I was poking along at seven knots. No surprises
Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
T-Tops, towing arches and outboards all give pretty good returns....the newer (post 2005) RADARs on small boats are pretty impressive themselves.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I conducted a radar reflector test a few years ago at the Brownsville marina during a yacht club cruise when the dock discussion turned to radar reflectors. And of course who had the best.

To settle the argument, I had a kid take a variety of radar reflectors out in a 10 foot fiberglass dinghy, one at a time. We had him motor out one mile, slowly and stop at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 mile. We had him hold the reflector up in the proper orientation when stopped.

We were on Sandpiper and used both the 4 kw and 11 kw Furuno radars, one at a time.

The best was the Rozendal Associates Tri Lens followed by the Echomax and Davis Echomaster. The Tri Lens was noticeably more visible consistantly as the dinghy bobbed and turned in the waves. The Echomax and Echomasters image on the radar would get smaller and bigger but never disappeared.

The Mobri and Firdell disappeared completely once in a while and their outlines on the radar were noticeably smaller as the image grew and shrank.

Those were the only reflectors available. There were several participants in the test looking at the radars, voting on the results.

The Davis Echomaster was the one that most club members carried on their power boats. Mobri and Firdell was second most popular and there were two Echomax and one Tri Lens.

We had the kid repeat the test with no reflector aboard the dinghy. The radar picked him up fine but the dinghys radar image was small and disappeared for multiple sweeps of the radar as he got further out.

Practical Sailor conducted a more thorough radar reflector test a while back and the results were similar.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
There have been at least 5 radar reflector tests, some of them quite scholarly and done with very expensive DOD equipment comparing the returns on the water and in an anechoic chamber. At least one in response to the run-down and loss of a vessel including all on board. The result of all of them is that most of the radar reflectors sold are pretty much useless. Only a very large microwave lens type meets the SOLAS regs (barely), do not depend on the smaller ones and particularly the little cylindrical ones to do anything at all. If you want to be visible, you need a transponder such as the SeaMe or EchoMax. These are active transponders, receiving then retransmitting a response. Or consider yourself to be invisible, the safest policy.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We have a Lundberg Lens type of reflector on our boat. It was top rated by Powerboat Reports when it was in business. I have not seen our boat on radar so I am not sure how well it works, but I guess it canít hurt.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 PM   #13
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have a Lundberg Lens type of reflector on our boat. It was top rated by Powerboat Reports when it was in business. I have not seen our boat on radar so I am not sure how well it works, but I guess it canít hurt.
Friend and I drove each others boats so we could see what our boats looked like on radar. I upgraded my radar reflector shortly after the experiment.

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote