Princess Louisa Inlet in Feb 2019??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep Ken, Sat phones/devices are the only usable means of communication in PL!
I don’t have a Sat Phone though, just the Inreach?

Keep me posted, Sue! February and April are looking pretty busy, but March just might work!

A few years ago when we went up to PLI for New Years we ran into the outflow winds. Thankfully it was (barely) warm enough to keep the spray liquid. Ice build up on the boat was a real concern! Safe Harbour | To Princess Louisa Inlet! – Slowboat

I am wanting to return to PLI in May or June to see the waterfalls from spring snowmelt, I have been told that is worth the trip! Any advice on best timing for that trip?

We were there in August and had a great time, but some smoke too.

Well, as you say, the waterfalls tend to be more active and numerous early in the season, but on the other hand, the weather is usually better (sunshine) in mid-July to mid-September. You have to pick one or the other :)

Yep Ken, Sat phones/devices are the only usable means of communication in PL!
I don’t have a Sat Phone though, just the Inreach[emoji4]
Well not communication, but I was able to get a DirecTV at PL with my KVH 7.....

Sorry, I am canceling the PL trip for this year. Getting some boat work done instead... I hope to make the trip next year though !

February is starting with a frigid bang here, so it should be gnarly in the mainland inlets down south as well.

Tomorrows forecast is for -18C (0F) and 45 knot northerly outflow winds.

Should calm down in a week or two :thumb:

February is starting with a frigid bang here, so it should be gnarly in the mainland inlets down south as well.

Tomorrows forecast is for -18C (0F) and 45 knot northerly outflow winds.

Should calm down in a week or two :thumb:

In these conditions, Chatham Sound just above Prince Rupert gets hammered by outflow winds from Portland and Pearce canals. The Green Island lighthouse will be rocking and rolling.

The Polar Vortex is basically an outflow and we in the NW should get a bit of it but we have a lot of mountians to minimize it.

Sadly, I had to cancel this trip because I never came up with a buddy boat. I do hope to put it together next year!0

Probably a good thing. Cold snap in BC's interior is resulting in bad outflow winds today:

Last edited:
If you do it next year, in March and preferably latter in March (better chance of benign weather) I would be happy to be a buddy boat, from Secret Cove and North with you. My boat is in Comox, so while you will be journeying North, I would be cruising South to meet up with you. So if you are travelling solo, you'd be on your own till past Vancouver.

My boat is in refit right now, getting a complete make over, re-powered, and davits and RIB/engine added. The boat is not a Trawler and I won't bother to tell you the make as you've never heard of it. Visually it is close to a Chris Craft, I'll give you a link to it and hope it is still available to see. Its 50 years old this year. Although it is 29 feet, its displacement is closer to a 32 foot boat as it is old glass over wood hull (original construction) and is built like a tank.

PS: I was at the boat show and took the ferry from Horseshoe Bay, the day after the above video. By then, the old barge had been removed and a new barge installed. My old Catalina 27 sloop was still moored there, making it through now three serious incidents 1) Queen of Oak Bay plowing into Sewell's docks 2) the big blow we had a number of years ago which took many old trees down in Stanley Park, the large sailboats with self furling Genoes had their sails rip to shreds, and 3) now this.

I didn't respond to your request for this year as my boat is in parts right now.... lol.. and is in the ugly stage, much like a house after a massive demolition, in the ugly duckling stage.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/222498835044761/?surface=product_details

Sounds good! I was aiming for February because there is often a weather window then, but I could do March... since the pacing item looks to be status of your refits, why don’t you contact me by PM next fall/early winter and give me an update. Ok?

You are relying on an older brain memory cells for me to PM you. Just advertise for a boat buddy for PLI in the late fall and I will respond. I will probably have it up on the hard as of Nov 1, next early winter but the stuff done then is nothing to what is happening now, so I will be off the hard by 1 March 2020 - probably earlier. I love off season boating but trust me, February into March can be a crap shot, beautiful or not, and I'm a coward and want to go with the best odds... lol.

My son wants to go into Jarvis Inlet and the area once the boat comes off the hard so by then I'll have lots of Jarvis Inlet and PLI experience.

Wow that's beautiful! I"d be interested next March - best of luck with your work this year. It's no problem being alone northward to N Vancouver. Let's stay in touch and see who wants to go in early 2020.

So I'm thinking of a modification of the original plan. And I would join you in Vancouver for this. So the final destination would be Princess Louisa Inlet, but meet up in Vancouver, but make some stops in that area and play tourist even though I did live there for 43 years.

There is an area that some refer to as the poor man's Desolation Sound, called Indian Arm. You proceed under the Lions Gate bridge and follow the fjord, keeping to your left and you will end up at the end of the Inlet which has a Royal Vancouver Yacht Club outpost (I'm not a member), but there is decent anchoring there.

From there we could do one or two nights in False Creek and you can stop there for some good food and grocery provisions, purchasing form the market, a good place to shop except on the weekends, then it is suicidal with all the people there.

After 2 - 4 nights in the two areas, then on up to Jarvis Inlet and PLI. Indian Arm is the lowest, most southerly fjord in North America. To view it on Google Earth, type in my old house address, then pull out and you will see the whole area.

4534 Cove Cliff Road
North Vancouver
British Columbia

Sounds interesting, although I generally go up the other side of the Straits and then cross at Nanaimo. I will google that, thanks!

There is an area that some refer to as the poor man's Desolation Sound, called Indian Arm. You proceed under the Lions Gate bridge and follow the fjord, keeping to your left and you will end up at the end of the Inlet which has a Royal Vancouver Yacht Club outpost (I'm not a member), but there is decent anchoring there.

Indian Arm looks interesting, and so close to Vancouver. We actually hope to make it to Princess Louisa this summer (stopping in False Creek before or after), but it will have to be after our daughter's last day of 2nd grade, which is June 14. Hopefully, we'll get up there to PLI before the fires start up again!

Indian Army is called the poor man's Desolation Sound as it is totally accessible to those in the Greater Vancouver area without the cost of time, fuel and moorage. And it is a fjord just as Jarvis Inlet, Desolation Sound and the Broughtons are.

Here's a video to wet your appetite:

Here's a pic looking aft from the pilothouse Feb 22, 2008, anchored in Bedwell Bay, Indian Arm.

You take your chances that time of year.

Attachments

• DSCF0750.jpg
    DSCF0750.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 73
That looks amazing - let's stay in touch and look toward planning some version of that early 2019. Thanks!

Our home moorage is just outside Indian Arm and it is a favourite day trip.

We make multiple trips all year but obviously get to choose our days in winter, especially. We can do a run to the top of the Arm and back in 4 hours at 7 kits and often stop in Bedwell for lunch or just to kick back.

Love the descriptor “Poor man’s Desolation Sound!”! Not a bad backyard....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom