Pnw summer cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
Finally got around to organizing my pix from this summer's 11 weeks of not going very fast nor very far. Basic mission was to entertain a lot of friends and family and get comfortable with the boat in preparation for next year's trip to Prince William Sound, Kenai Fjords, and Kachemak Bay.

https://williambutler.smugmug.com/FF17/CRUISE2017/

Last edited:
Great pics.
Looks like you got right down into Coal Harbour.
I used to live a few blocks from there on a fifth floor of an apt bldg. 1831 Robson st. Don’t know why I remember. That was about 1972. My boat at the time (a 17’ Bryant mahogany plywood mini-cruiser w 35 Johnson) was at Ladner on the mouth of the big river.

Great pics.
Looks like you got right down into Coal Harbour.

Yep. You can't get any farther; we were in the last slip, next to the Stanley Park seawall. Choice real estate--good bar at the Rowing Club too.

Thanks for taking us on the ride, and I'm glad you enjoyed Canada's multiculturalism :thumb:

Thanks for taking us on the ride, and I'm glad you enjoyed Canada's multiculturalism :thumb:

I find it fascinating, and the pics are just the tip of the reality. We were seated in the midst of a group of dark- complected folk whose provenance was a matter of speculation ... until the Iranian contingent came into view. Then all doubt was removed. Truly a great parade honoring a great society.

Complected - another new word...thanks!

Thank you for sharing. A great summer adventure, lots of happy visitors! You proved that one does not need to go far to enjoy a great boating experience.

Bill, thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I can't wait until we're able to make that trip. We've done the San Juans twice but only for a couple of weeks at a time.

I'd be interested in hearing what mix of anchoring out vs docked somewhere you did.

Bill, thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. ...

I'd be interested in hearing what mix of anchoring out vs docked somewhere you did.

Probably something like half 'n' half, but you have to consider that I had a lot of lubbers aboard. During the four weeks I was solo, it was probably more like 2 anchor to one dock.

I used yacht club reciprocity for a total of eleven free nights and three discount nights over the course of the summer, most when I was alone. Paid my dues at Totem YC for the next few years.

Last edited:
Bill, that's about what I figured we would be doing when we spend the summer up there.

BTW, I looked and Totem is a reciprocal of our club, Clover Island YC. If you ever end up heading up the Columbia be sure to plan a stop over with us. We're known as the friendliest club on the Columbia and we work hard to maintain that reputation.

Great shots and great fun on that trip. Thanks!

Bill: Those pix will remind you for years of the great times you and your friends were able to have, boating relatively close to home, yet seeing new and memorable things every day.

Your record of this voyage makes me want to revisit lots of old and frequent haunts, spend a little more time closer to home.

You have also reminded us all of the great diversity of our Canadian culture, and of how proud we all can be of the inclusive society we have built. Thank you.

... how proud we all can be of the inclusive society we have built. Thank you.

Even your Egyptian/Armenian neighbor, Raffi! Meeting him in Ganges was a very special event. He walked us around the market, showing us where the best stuff was.

Even your Egyptian/Armenian neighbor, Raffi! Meeting him in Ganges was a very special event. He walked us around the market, showing us where the best stuff was.

My kids all grew up on Baby Beluga and other favourites (they are 34, 37 and 40 yrs old) and we have provided the full set of Raffi tunes to our grandkids.

My kids all grew up on Baby Beluga and other favourites (they are 34, 37 and 40 yrs old) and we have provided the full set of Raffi tunes to our grandkids.

Both of mine, 35 and 19. My wife was buying books for my grandsons when she met Raffi. My 19 y.o. daughter maintains that smug indifference common in the young, but she flipped out: (soto voce) "Dad, it's HIM!"

Back
Top Bottom