Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom

What is your route? Should you be coming past us please let me know so I can get out my camera. We are on the North end of Saltspring Island, opposite Conover Cove on Wallace Island. You can transit Houston Passage, then aim for Dodd Narrows instead of staying in Trincomali all the way up. Thus you will go past our home and be photo ready.
I tried to find your location and could not find it. Working....

Dinner at the Dinghy Pub tonight.....I'm on track for slack tide at Dods

Looking up Trinchomali Channel 1494100455457.jpg

Ok why are our pics double and sideways. These are from my phone.

Anchor down in Gowlland Harbour, across the bay from Campbell River, nice trip up today. Gonna spend a few days here, if they dont have to rescue another drunk from the Dingy Pub, it should give ASD a chance to catch up.
Captain has announced Happy Hour, CHeers!

Anchor down in Gowlland Harbour, across the bay from Campbell River, nice trip up today. Gonna spend a few days here, if they dont have to rescue another drunk from the Dingy Pub, it should give ASD a chance to catch up.
Captain has announced Happy Hour, CHeers!

How do you find the Gowland anchorage? Never tried it. BTW. Saturday night is a busy one at the DD Pub. Tom and Kay may just survive unless the locals start buying.

John, looks like you guys are having an eventful trip. I am so looking forward to getting back to the PNW.
Have fun,
Pat

Had a great time at the Pub. The anchorage is crowded with a rough blow boat just 40 feet from my bow. Calm now, so no worries. Scotch and cigar break. Long run tomorrow, 90 miles to catch Crusty.1494123697121.jpg1494123705261.jpg

Ok what do I have to do to my phone to make these pics come out right without the doubles?

Looks like you need to take the picture holding your phone in landscape orientation not portrait orientation. See your post #100 for an example, seems to be a common problem with phone and there encoding of photos.........Having fun yet?

How do you find the Gowland anchorage? Never tried it. BTW. Saturday night is a busy one at the DD Pub. Tom and Kay may just survive unless the locals start buying.

We stayed here a few nights last year on a recommendation from a fellow boater we met over in Cortez and really like it here. Real quiet and the locals are friendly. We're the only boat at anchor in the harbor.
Watched the Log boom handlers for a little bit this evening, man are they good! Marin would be impressed.
We had Gourmet burgers for dinner, cocktails for a nice sunset are in order next.

Cheers all, wish you were here!

Also know that the app has had this "double post" bug for a long time. I find if you don't panic and refresh the thread the double disappears. Typically nobody sees the double but you although occasionally one will stay.

Another awesome scene from the bow.

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 86
Hey Crusty- a story: Years ago here in Ketchikan, when we were served by 'Prop' aircraft from the lower 48', the fear of overcrowding in population coming to Alaska particularly Ketchikan, the local chamber of commerce started a program where all business men who traveled to Seattle were required to wear rain coats and rain dress hats. If you recall the trend then was full around billed business hats. Here the business men wore a plastic version. Very stylish. anyway those were also required wear. Upon deplaning in Seattle wearing the rain coats and having the plastic hats even though it was sunny and bright, carrying umbrellas. The message was that Ketchikan was so wet and windy that nobody should come or move up here.
The reason for this story Crusty, is after the followers of this thread see all the damn photos of the sunsets, the glory and beauty of the country, the freedom of movement, the lack of crowds, the good fishing and such, WE MAY HAVE TO START DOING THIS PROGRAM AGAIN:lol::lol::rofl::rofl::D

Al-Ketchikan

Al,

Jeeezzzz, another friggin wardrobe? Please dont tell the Admiral, she has already got damn near every storage area on the boat stuffed with her rain gear, cold weather gear, sweaters, more boots than any women should own and then even more shoes.
At this rate, I'm gonna have to buy a bigger boat so she can store more stuff.
Good story though, and sunny and bright in Seattle? Must be talking about the famous 2 week summer they have.

Cheers!

Al,

That story that it rains all the time did'nt work for Seattle, LOL

Underway to Campbell River. Little choppy.1494168780823.jpg

Attachments

• 1494168780823.jpg
    1494168780823.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 86
According to Windyty is should start to settle down as you head up the strait and look the photo is the right orientation.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

According to Windyty is should start to settle down as you head up the strait and look the photo is the right orientation.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Took the photo on the down side of a wave!:lol:

ASD and PoD

Johnstone Strait is forecast unusually quiet for the next four days. With the favorable current at Seymour in very early AM or later PM you should have a potentially good run for a few days. Cape Caution likewise is forecast for benign weather at least through Thursday. Good fuel in Port McNeil or Port Hardy if you need it.

Weather this good can be followed by a drop in pressure and gales, the Gulf of Alaska weather buoys and GRIB files will start to tell that tale by Tuesday AM. Happy cruising!

Seas have flattened out, sunshine. Perfect cruising day. Just passed Comox. 40 miles to Campbell River and an adult drink. John is buying.

Attachments

• 1494188799602.jpg
    1494188799602.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1494188820165.jpg
    1494188820165.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1494188841518.jpg
    1494188841518.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 82
Yep! Flat calm here in the Harbour! Lots of boat traffic on the bay. We will cherish nice days like this, they are few and far in between.
Tom and Kay, Tracey is makin a pot of chili for dinner, so no cooking for you guys, we got some drinkin to catch up on!

Question for TFs on VTS. Victoria Traffic is on ch 11. Are they also on ch 71? If so when do you switch.

Yep! Flat calm here in the Harbour! Lots of boat traffic on the bay. We will cherish nice days like this, they are few and far in between.
Tom and Kay, Tracey is makin a pot of chili for dinner, so no cooking for you guys, we got some drinkin to catch up on!
Kay has 22 bottles of wine and 2 boxes.(yes it was reported to customs for those worried about it. 2 hrs out my friend.

Almost together at 4:15PM have fun..........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.14.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 4.14.14 PM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 83
All tied up in Gowlland Hbr.....Pairadice and ASD together again!!!

Attachments

• 1494200441926.jpg
    1494200441926.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 1494200481265.jpg
    1494200481265.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 1494200512290.jpg
    1494200512290.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 96
Tom:

I obviously got my head stuck at 8 knots. Your speed takes my breath away. You will get to slow down and enjoy the scenery once you have caught up with John. Have a great adventure, and thanks for having us along.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom