Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ken E. said:
On the way down, I was going to try it, but instead tried the south end of Farrant island nearby. It was dynamite action on big coho, some of the best fishing of the trip.

Ken,
That's great that you got into the fish in that area. We were around there last year and had some amazing fishing. Went back to the same spot this year and it was quite dead ( 3 days earlier than last year ). That was the last week of August.

When were you there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

Weather window looks good for this weekend. We hope to make the long slog into Astoria on Saturday, if the weather holds. May leave Oak Harbor Wednesday. We just got back to the boat this afternoon, and a bit tired from traveling.
Sure is a lot different driving 10X faster than the Boat, LOL!
Better burn rate too!! If ypu want to skip the Astoria Marina, there is a really nice anchorage behind Tougue Point and right across from the USCG/Navy docks. I think it is called Louis Island. Nice and quit. Crane coming Friday morning to temove shed, so you should be able to side tie to us. I have 30amp and water for you. Don't forget to pickle you WM.

We were in the Hartley Bay / Gill island area in mid-August this year. The fish are on the move and can literally be here today, gone tomorrow.......we've seen that many times. For the season as a whole in SE AK and BC, for us I'd say we had good fishing but not great. Days of hot action and many fish caught mixed in with slow days. Did well on halibut and really well on prawns this year. A few king salmon, biggest 30 lb but mostly coho....big ones in August. Can't wait to return to Alaska.

Better burn rate too!! If ypu want to skip the Astoria Marina, there is a really nice anchorage behind Tougue Point and right across from the USCG/Navy docks. I think it is called Louis Island. Nice and quit. Crane coming Friday morning to temove shed, so you should be able to side tie to us. I have 30amp and water for you. Don't forget to pickle you WM.

Tom,
Looks like the weather is going to be better for a Sunday run down the coast. The plan as of now is head to Port Angeles on Thursday, Nea Bay on Friday, La Push on Saturday and cross the bar late Sunday afternoon, if not, we will pull into Grays and do the bar Monday. Rather do a Flood Slack then an Ebb Slack.

Anyway, we plan to stop by your place on the way up the river for a night at least. Picked up some AA today, see ya soon.

Cheers!

John, have a safe trip and be sure to pick up some Klondike Bars if you want Tom to put you up at his dock.

John, have a safe trip and be sure to pick up some Klondike Bars if you want Tom to put you up at his dock.

Mike,

That guy is a Klondike eating machine, that Tapeworm of his can flat put down some chow! LOL

We hope to be up the river next year, for sure your neck of the woods. When's the best time to do the upper area? Even though we want some warmth instead of the friggin rain and wind, we dont want to be in the excess heat. We're thinking May-June time frame.

Cheers

Mike, don't let John fool you he loves Klondic Bars as much as I go. I have caught him with his hand in my freezer a few times. Dockage fee will be 1 Klondic per night.....

Finally on the way.
Left Oak Harbor this morning at 8:30, got to Deception Pass a few minutes early. Had a nice push all day.
Was a gorgeous day for cruise to Port Angeles. An 8 hour run today, and another 8 hr tomorrow to Nea Bay with a push all day if we can leave by 7am.

It's now Beer O'clock, Cheers ?

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpg
    IMG_2519.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 46
Mike,
We hope to be up the river next year, for sure your neck of the woods. When's the best time to do the upper area? Even though we want some warmth instead of the friggin rain and wind, we dont want to be in the excess heat. We're thinking May-June time frame.

Cheers
It can be pretty windy here in March, April and sometimes into May. That starts to taper off as May passes and it's generally pretty decent in June. July starts to get hot (100*+) and can continue into August.

If you're coming this far you should consider heading up the Snake River. It's about 155 miles up to Lewiston, ID.

You'll pass through 4 dams between Portland and here (Bonneville, The Dalles, John Day and McNary) and 4 more going up the Snake. We usually plan about 2.5 days between here and Portland but we take it pretty easy. It's about 135 miles.

We're going to be out of the country from about June 7-22 so if you want to get together, we won't be here during that time frame.

Lets hope it stays that way. We get to spend the day with the wrecking crane tomorrow. Have fun tomorrow.

Cheers to you to.
I've always been a little slower than everyone else.
We are seconding the "beer thirty" but in Blind Channel, BC.
Not much company here, actually, just us and a closed restaurant. So, we decided to cook a little halibut.
Glad to meet both of you and seems you had a great trip, in spite of the windlasses.
Good to not be in a hurry and mess up right at the end.

Ken

Well our shed is gone and everything with it to include titles, wills and birth certificates. It was sad. We will rebuild and end up taking the owner of the boat to court. Sucks, but feel better that it is finally gone.

Attachments

• 20170922_115811.jpg
    20170922_115811.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20170922_115818.jpg
    20170922_115818.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 81
Well our shed is gone and everything with it to include titles, wills and birth certificates. It was sad. We will rebuild and end up taking the owner of the boat to court. Sucks, but feel better that it is finally gone.

Had no idea all your titles, wills and birth certificates floated away or to the bottom or were destroyed. Didn't cross my mind. Those things require major effort to recover and I'm sure if they were there, you had other documents you hate losing.

We had a great trip across to Port Angeles. Water was like a pond all day long
We tied up at Boat Haven and we're surrounded by big boys. Sure made us feel dinky.
A nice sunset to cap the day with a couple well deserved cocktails. We pulled out at the crack of dawn and we're greeted with an awesome sunrise.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 68
We left for Neah Bay yesterday and caught the outgoing tide for a nice push from Port Angeles. Set the hook in the bay at 2pm and cracked open one of my last cold ALaska Ambers. Wind picked up a couple of hours later and between that and boat traffic, was a bit rolly. Watched a couple movies, quick dinner and even watched another great sunset.

Left this morning at 8:30 for the 6 hrs run to La Push. The humps we're playing right outside the entrance but we were on a time schedule to make La Push early afternoon. The Admiral never gets tired of this little Village.
We're off for Grays Harbor early and hope to cross the Columbia Bar Monday evening.
Since we are limited on speed, we are taking advantage of the nice weather and doing short runs instead of a nonstop like when we came up this year.
Up early tomorrow.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 63
So.........

Weather window for Monday wasn't looking so good, so we opted to leave La Push this morning at 3AM and beat feet for Astoria. Made the Bar crossing a bit early, got a bit of a push across a pretty calm Columbia Bar and safely tied up at the Astoria Marina, went out and had a great dinner with friends....( the one that called the Coast Guard in Alaska) now were back on the boat for a much needed rest before we leave again tomorrow for ASD's home port in Longview.
Tom has promised us his famous Ribs, and has stocked up on Alaska Amber. Looking forward to resting up a couple days with friends before heading to our winter port on Hayden Island.
Thanks again to all that have followed both ASD and Pairadice on this amazing trip.
Cheers,

You guys, including all you met along the way, have demonstrated the pleasure of cruising in the most positive light. You've made is both proud to share this forum with you. You've handled challenges with class and kept smiling. It is pleasure boating and you've shown how much pleasure it can be. You've reminded us why we come here, to hear experiences of those who cruise, learning of new cruising grounds and being reminded of those which have given us great memories.

Our sincere thanks to all the cast of this thread.

You guys, including all you met along the way, have demonstrated the pleasure of cruising in the most positive light. You've made is both proud to share this forum with you. You've handled challenges with class and kept smiling. It is pleasure boating and you've shown how much pleasure it can be. You've reminded us why we come here, to hear experiences of those who cruise, learning of new cruising grounds and being reminded of those which have given us great memories.

Thank You! Its not yet finished but getting close.

Once we get settled in at our home port in Portland, Ill put together a trip summary and lessons learned, much similar to the one I did last year.

Cheers All!

Can't wait until Pairadice side ties to me at my dock. The celebration will begin with AA and slow cooked ribs....

Attachments

• 20170925_131536.jpg
    20170925_131536.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170925_131528.jpg
    20170925_131528.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170924_131649.jpg
    20170924_131649.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 64
and lessons learned,

I think the biggest lesson for all of us from your trip is patience and enjoying oneself regardless. If weather or need for parts forces you to stay put, then just enjoy where you are. Don't let annoyance over the wrong part being shipped wreck your pleasure. You all adjusted regularly and made the most of everything.

About four years ago we were heading back home and on the Gulf Coast and weather "stuck" us in the Destin area for a week. Not our plans, but we had a blast that week. I don't think either of you or others around and in and out of the story ever forgot that it's "pleasure boating" and the emphasis on pleasure. We also got extra time in Apalachicola our first time there due to rough seas and I think my wife has made it clear how we love it there.

I think the biggest lesson for all of us from your trip is patience and enjoying oneself regardless. If weather or need for parts forces you to stay put, then just enjoy where you are. Don't let annoyance over the wrong part being shipped wreck your pleasure. You all adjusted regularly and made the most of everything.

About four years ago we were heading back home and on the Gulf Coast and weather "stuck" us in the Destin area for a week. Not our plans, but we had a blast that week. I don't think either of you or others around and in and out of the story ever forgot that it's "pleasure boating" and the emphasis on pleasure. We also got extra time in Apalachicola our first time there due to rough seas and I think my wife has made it clear how we love it there.
Good points. I will also do a final points write up too. Sad the trip is coming to an end. I have really enjoyed this summer with the Admiral and John and Tracy.

:hello:BandB- Well played, Sire, well played!!:thumb: As one who had the pleasure of meeting both Tom, Kaye and John and Tracy, no two better down to earth characters could one ask to make acquaintance. A couple of "A-Shucks" fellows.:facepalm: An acquaintance that will continue long after the introduction.:angel:
Thank you for your observation, I am sure you speak for many who have been following this tabloid duel.:lol:

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Al.......Many thanks go to you, helping many of us resolve boat problems in Ketchikan. I hope I can return the favor sometime. We'll be up your way again next summer. Might see you around Naha Bay?

Al.......Many thanks go to you, helping many of us resolve boat problems in Ketchikan. I hope I can return the favor sometime. We'll be up your way again next summer. Might see you around Naha Bay?

Write it in your log book:flowers:

Al

Our good friends John and Tracy on the Pairadice side tied for the last time at our winter dock. I guess this officialy is the end of the Alaska Cruise 2017.

Attachments

• 20170926_081906.jpg
    20170926_081906.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170926_081936.jpg
    20170926_081936.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
Final Thoughts and Numbers for ASD

Final Thoughts and Numbers

Hard to believe the 2017 cruising is over. This was an awesome year, due mainly to our cruising partners John and Tracy of the M/Y Pairadice.There is a sense of security when you are traveling together.Each Capt. brings their expertise to the game.Moreover, we made some lifelong friends. Actually Tracy started calling us roommates!!

Lessons:

· Columbia River Baro Never, ever cross the Bar on an Ebb.You will be met with hell!It’s also dangerous for you and your crew.Honestly, I took the chance because we had a guest on board and we wanted to show her the San Juans.Ended up, we got stuck in Friday Harbor because I damaged the generator. Timing is critical for a smooth safe crossing.

· Weather
o Always check the weather from “multiple” sources. We got our asses handed to us crossing Dixon Entrance.All our weather apps we used were ALL WRONG!John used Windty exclusively and I used PredictWind.On this day we didn’t bother to check Environment Canada, because “They are always wrong!”Well when we were hit by west 35kt winds and 7-foot swells from the SW, it sucked!Turns out Environmental Canada was right on with Gale warnings, but we didn’t check it.

· Group Decisions
o As Tracy states “Team Meetings.”Discuss the days cruise with EVERYONE on board this way everyone feels like they have input, but most importantly don’t be afraid to express your issues during these meetings.This maybe a little awkward at first, but in the end better decisions are made.We had a rule that stated anyone of the group could veto the weather window.

· Breakdowns
o You WILL break down!It is part of the cruising experience.Getting all mad and upset won’t change it.Deal with the issue and work the problem.This is when having a cruising partner is valuable, especially if you have to be towed in.This never happened to us, but when our windlasses broke we supported each other.Yep it would have been easier to leave the moorage and let your friend deal with it, but then again there is payback.I stuck it out for John and he did for me.It .was only after my insistence did John leave Ketch for the only weather window in a week.Besides, I was faster and could catch up.It also gave John and Tracy alone for a while.

· Anchoring
o To this day, I still get nervous about anchoring in close quarters.Choosing a space so you are not encroaching on someone else or swinging into someone still scares me.How much rode do I let out?How far are you from someone if you start dragging?Sometimes, I would get dink out and look at the situation. I still need practice.I have all the right equipment and the 77lb Rocna NEVER failed to stick.

· It’s all about the cruise and not the destination:
o Don’t place yourself on a schedule.We had to remind ourselves that we were retired and didn’t need a schedule.Well with the exception of family and friends visiting.Don’t be afraid to advance or delay your cruise due to weather or it is just a great moorage for a few more days.We witnessed cruiser pull into a bad in the evening, then leave in the morning, complaining there was no wildlife.We stayed in Red Bluff Bay for 5 days and saw all kinds of bears, up close.

· Pot Puller
o 600 feet of leaded line.Pulling by hand SUCKS!!!!! Pot puller is now on the list of upgrades.

THOUGHTS:
All in all, this was a great summer. We explored new places and returned to old places.As this was our second time to Alaska, we felt like we were home again.Yes, the weather sucked in Alaska.John would say “If one more person tells me this is the worst weather they have ever seen, I will………”Funny thing SE Alaska broke all kinds of records for weather.From June 1st to September 1st, SE received over 45 inches of rain.Normally the average is less than 20 inches in the summer.Weather played a big role in our cruise this year.It made crossing open water a little frustrating.On the other hand, the time we spent in Chatham Straits was awesome.The rain calmed the strait and we had flat seas. Almost unheard of in Chatham.

We actually saw whales and Orcas! Up close and personal at times.We actually saw a male Orca chasing Pairadice as they were looking at a pod ahead of them.

Ketchikan was the noisiest, while Angoon was the biggest disappointment. The Gorge Harbor, B.C., was nicknamed “The Pond” by the Admiral and they had the worst insect, flies of the cruise. It was also the hottest place at 100f.
Trawler Forum (TF) members were seen throughout the cruise. It was like a big family. One member though was exceptional.

Ketchikan Al (and Carol) went out of his way to make sure we had the parts and services we needed during our breakdowns. He and Carol always were welcoming and made us feel at home, even when John and I were challenged.You will never find a nicer couple anywhere in the PNW!Thank you, Al, for your friendship, help and of course AA.Kay and I feel we have made life-long friends.

We did fulfill our mission statement! We killed a lot of fish!!

This will be our last post on the blog for a while. We will be working on the boat and the dock mess at the winter dock.At this point we may not do any cruising next year due the amount of funds it is taking to clean up this mess.

FINAL NUMBERS for ASD:

· Total Days of Cruise: 143
· Total Miles: 3649
· Moorage Costs: $3774 (includes 5 weeks at Ketchikan)
· Total Fuel: $7263
· Average Cost Per Gallon: $2.91
· Average MPG: 1.5
· Average Burn Rate: 5.94 gph (Includes Genny)

Attachments

• IMG_9274.jpg
    IMG_9274.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9275.jpg
    IMG_9275.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Wow, that's for the great wrap up write up. 143 days on the cruise. I am sooooo jealous.

So, if I asked you what the biggest "AHA moment" was from your journey, what would that be?

Great summary, Tom. The one topic that really resonated with me, in addition to weather predictions, is that things WILL break and you WILL have equipment failures, machines being what they are, with so many systems in play, and for a trip of that scope. Even for well-maintained boats, there will be problems of some nature. The takeaway from that, speaking for myself, is to not get bummed out when something goes haywire, but to roll with the punches and just work to resolve it. Carrying lots of spares and tools helps, as well as assistance from great guys like Al in Ketchikan. I literally work on my boat all winter to get it ready for the Alaska trip, but some things inevitably fail anyway. Hell, it's a boat. Hope to see you up Sitka way next summer. And I still have some Alaska Amber.........

Last edited:
Wow, that's for the great wrap up write up. 143 days on the cruise. I am sooooo jealous.

So, if I asked you what the biggest "AHA moment" was from your journey, what would that be?

143 for us, Pairadice was a little longer.

Biggest AHA moment: That's a hard one.

There were actually 2:

1. Warm Springs Alaska. They have 3 bath houses with hot spring water that are open on one end so you can enjoy the water fall. I was getting a little warm, so I stood up, in my birthday suit and there it was. A small cruise ship with all these people on the bow, all looking at me! What could I do? I waved and smiled.
  2. When Pairadice and I were at the point of no return crossing Dixon Entrance heading north. We had 35kts winds from the west and 6-7 foot rollers from the south west. I think it was John who called me (one of the few times he talks on the radio) to say do you think our weather apps were just a little off? 2 foot seas were projected.
  3. There is a 3rd, but I will let John tell that story....."Sécurité, sécurité, sécurité Motor vessel Pairadice, this is USCG sector Juneau".....

Back
Top Bottom