Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We fueled up in Friday harbor with a possilbe weather window Saturday. Here are my numbers from Shearwater to Friday Harbor.

Miles: 468
Hours: 59.7
Fuel: 259.3
Price: $2.97
Burn Rate (includes genny): 4.3 gph
MPG: 1.8

Tomorrow we start the last leg of our 2017 adventure. We will leave Port of Friday Harbor and make the 87 mile run to Neah Bay. Anchor over night then bright and early make the 190 mile run to the Columbia River Bar. We will then stay in Astoria or anchor out near the John Day river. Should be back at the winter dock on Sunday.

Then the work begins to clean up the mess there....Here is a nice sail boat in Friday Harbor.

Attachments

• 20170914_160950.jpg
    20170914_160950.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 69
The forecast looks great. Safe travels, and thanks for sharing the adventure.

Tom and Kay,

Fair winds and lite following seas.

Al and Carol

Great story to go along with your great journey. Thanks to all for taking us along and sharing your tales and photos.

Heading out through Cattle Pass at Sunrise.

Attachments

• 20170915_072237.jpg
    20170915_072237.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 52
Made it to Neah Bay. Good run today, around 87 miles. Kay saw some Prcas and we had 3 humpies surface in front of the boat. We leave here at 6 AM for the Columbia River Bar. Slack is 6:51 PM. Pic of Neah Bay.

Attachments

• 20170915_171257.jpg
    20170915_171257.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 55
Made it to Neah Bay. Good run today, around 87 miles. Kay saw some Prcas and we had 3 humpies surface in front of the boat. We leave here at 6 AM for the Columbia River Bar. Slack is 6:51 PM. Pic of Neah Bay.

All the way to the bar? No stop in Grays Harbor on the way?

The fog is finally lifting. I can see a couple of miles now. 4 foot swells at 12 seconds ain't too bad. Just have to watch for old crab pots.

Attachments

• 20170916_073700.jpg
    20170916_073700.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 64
Happy Trails Tom and Kay,

We hope the trip is a smooth one.

Thanks. Further south we get the better gets. Flat out here.

Crossed the bar at 6:35 pm. 12 hours from Neah Bay to the bar. 90% of of the trip was in fog with visability 3/4 of a mile or less. Most of the time less.

Attachments

• 20170916_183142.jpg
    20170916_183142.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 61
Hi Crusty. I see you were in Oak Harbour. What's the price of diesel there? We went their last year specifically to buy fuel.

Jim

Anchored out for rhe last time in ASD's great cruise this year. There is a very nice bay at Louis Island. We have a 4-5 hour run today to rhe winter dock.

Attachments

• 20170917_083317.jpg
    20170917_083317.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170917_083328.jpg
    20170917_083328.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 60
Welcome back to ASD's winter home. You guys (and gals!) all had a helluva trip. Yes, it had its ups and downs, but what an experience.

Hi Crusty. I see you were in Oak Harbour. What's the price of diesel there? We went their last year specifically to buy fuel.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Diesel is $2.69, .05 per gal. Discount For 100 gals or more. Cant beat the moorage fees either. Great place to wait it out for a weather window.

Cheers

Anchored out for rhe last time in ASD's great cruise this year. There is a very nice bay at Louis Island. We have a 4-5 hour run today to rhe winter dock.

Glad to see you guys made it back safe and sound. Hope to see ya in a week or so. Just might stop by and suck up some of that shore power if ya have it fixed by then.

Cheers!

John, when do you think you'll be able to make a run for it, down the coast? Blustery today here in Bellingham. Glad that Tom got past the Bar ok.

Welcome back to ASD's winter home. You guys (and gals!) all had a helluva trip. Yes, it had its ups and downs, but what an experience.

:banghead:Referencing the anchor issue- Good catch!!:flowers::thumb:

Thanks Crusty. The price has gone up from last year. I believe it was $2.09, after the discount. Not sure if that included taxes.

Jim

Glad to see you guys made it back safe and sound. Hope to see ya in a week or so. Just might stop by and suck up some of that shore power if ya have it fixed by then.

Cheers!
Believe or not, i have the big cooler. I will clean it up for you.

Thanks Bud, How's the rest of the clean up going?

We have electric and water to the boat. The frig that was floating is now at the dump along with the first truck load. Kay spent the day with her camera taking pics of everything. So the dock will be clear of debris in the next day or two. Waiting on the crane company to call me back. I will also be wiring in a second boat electrical box this week, so my "guests" will have power.

We are still in the shock stage, although I am still pretty angry over it. We have an appointment on Wednesday with an attorney. Just bust my balls having to go through all this. Then I look at our friends and fellow TF folks in Florida and don't feel quite as bad.

You leaving Oak harbor on Thursday? What's your schedule look like?

Tom,

Weather window looks good for this weekend. We hope to make the long slog into Astoria on Saturday, if the weather holds. May leave Oak Harbor Wednesday. We just got back to the boat this afternoon, and a bit tired from traveling.
Sure is a lot different driving 10X faster than the Boat, LOL!

Tom.....you and John did well on halibut in the Hoonah area. We're going to Sitka next year and I'd like to detour north of Peril Strait to try fishing up the east side of Chichagov island. Was any particular spot around Hoonah particularly good? I'm starting to plan the trip already.....gets me through the fall and winter months. I'm also installing a second freezer so we aren't so strapped for fish storage at the end of the trip.

You've mentioned fishing with some locals around Promise Island near Hartley Bay. On the way down, I was going to try it, but instead tried the south end of Farrant island nearby. It was dynamite action on big coho, some of the best fishing of the trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom