Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made the move to all can beer on the boat. More compact that glass, less space to store the empties, and no risk of breakage in rough weather. I also go with nothing but plastic liquor bottles.

You can find some very good local beer in cans these days. :thumb:
Me too. All cans, except AA.......

John’s fish has lice = fresh caught.
Tom’s fish don’t = fresh bought.

Last edited:
Dang busted. Other folks know about Costco at Lagoon Cove....?

The rapids went well this morning. The timing was perfect. Even the big boys wait until slack.

Attachments

• 20170904_101153.jpg
    20170904_101153.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 66
Sunset in Gorge Harbour B.C. Canada. Finally cooling off! This Alaskan polor bear was melting....

Attachments

• 20170904_203350.jpg
    20170904_203350.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 68
Yep!
Went from 55 and raining to 90 and Hot in 8 days. Oh well, the Admiral is happy to be heading south. Now if we can get a nice weather window to get down the coast, it will cap a great trip!
Day 144 and 2,906.4 NM or 3,345.26 Statue Miles for Pairadice

Cheers!

Wow the Northwest is really on fire. Left Gorge Harbor this morning heading to Comox. Hardly any wind and visibility is maybe 1.5 miles or less.

Attachments

• 20170906_100347.jpg
    20170906_100347.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 58
All summer...worst year on record in BC.

Murray

Some years ago I worked and lived in the Central Interior. At that time they were saying that in the late 50s the fires went unabated until fall. No summer rains and late snow.

In talking with some forestry people a few years ago the pine beetles became a topic of "fires and a cold winter" being the cure. This is a long dry spell in BC for sure. Is moisture in your area for the year ahead or behind average? Sidney air quality is poor the past few days. Rain this weekend hopefully.

Do you suppose Mother Nature is getting even on the Pacific Coast for the wet winter and spring?

Do you suppose Mother Nature is getting even on the Pacific Coast for the wet winter and spring?

Tom, I think you nailed it. The wet winter and spring were responsible for a LOT of underbrush that thrived on the additional moisture. Then when the moisture stopped coming the weather turned hotter. This caused the heavy underbrush to become tinder for the fires we're experiencing now.

There have been a few mornings that we couldn't see the other side of the Columbia from our home. Couldn't see it at all.

I can't wait to get back down to your neck of the woods.

Murray

Some years ago I worked and lived in the Central Interior. At that time they were saying that in the late 50s the fires went unabated until fall. No summer rains and late snow.

In talking with some forestry people a few years ago the pine beetles became a topic of "fires and a cold winter" being the cure. This is a long dry spell in BC for sure. Is moisture in your area for the year ahead or behind average? Sidney air quality is poor the past few days. Rain this weekend hopefully.

Kitimat is on the west side of the Coast Mountains so we haven't had any fires in our area. The spring season here was unseasonably cool and damp...much like Ketchikan. There is still snow in the south facing bowl of Mount Elizabeth (starting at about 6000'') so it's been a pretty cool summer here as well.

I'm no authority on this stuff, but I'll take a stab at it...

The pine beetles in the interior of BC have historically been held in check by long cold snaps during winter...but it just hasn't been getting cold enough for long enough to kill them off for well over a decade now. A lot of the dead wood was logged, but much remains.

The interior of BC (the lands between the Coast Mountains and the Rocky Mountains) didn't get much snow and had a dry spring. The dry weather kept going into summer, and it was windy, with dry lightning storms. Grim combinations.

I believe the record for forest fire damage was broken in mid August...which is really bad because that's a little over half way through the fire season.

Last edited:
Do you have "hazard reduction", the deliberate lighting of fires in (supposedly) safe calm conditions under the controlling supervision of fire authorities, to reduce underbrush type fuel thus preventing wild fires taking hold?
Lots of recent activity here, Sydney was blanketed in smoke from "burning off" of material. Hard to tell if it works, I suppose it does. Can`t be good for the wildlife but neither is a full on bushfire(as we call them).

Do you have "hazard reduction", the deliberate lighting of fires in (supposedly) safe calm conditions under the controlling supervision of fire authorities, to reduce underbrush type fuel thus preventing wild fires taking hold?
Lots of recent activity here, Sydney was blanketed in smoke from "burning off" of material. Hard to tell if it works, I suppose it does. Can`t be good for the wildlife but neither is a full on bushfire(as we call them).

The PNW has been suffering the consequences of past forest management practices. Too much fuel in the forests due to the dense second growth and spending all the forestry efforts at putting out and preventing small fires. After enough time, we get very large fires.

As I understand it, the forestry practices are now beginning to change but it will take time and money. Neither of which we may have enough of.

We do, in a limited sense.

Interestingly, both Australia's and BC's indigenous peoples used fire in a way that kept these massive fires from happening so often.

We (European immigrants/settlers) viewed forests as a revenue and/or tax generating product that needed protection from fires, which resulted in forests with lots of debris on the forest floor.

Indigenous peoples had a massive area to hunt in, so would periodically burn selected areas when safe (so it wouldn't get too big) which would explode in lush new growth the following spring. Makes sense to have game go where you want instead of searching your whole territory for it.

Doing that for thousands of years must have resulted in a patchwork of various aged stands resistant to massive wildfires.

Last edited:
Australia has the advantage of skilled volunteer staffed Bushfire Brigades and Rural Fire Services. Equipment is generally provided by fundraising and by Government. There are regular Fire Services too.
The services get involved in hazard reduction work as well as firefighting. Reduction fires sometimes get out of control. An ex Prime Minister was famously involved as a volunteer in his local Brigade in northern Sydney.
Interestingly,some native vegetation species actually need fire to regenerate. While forests are logged for lumber from time to time,much forestry is in National Parks and left alone. Land clearing does occur for farming to help feed a growing world population, but we like and preserve our forests, as no doubt does BC.

Heading to Nanimo today. Comox is a nice town. Marina was good too. Still a little smokey. Looking ahead for weather windows is not looking promising. We will check in at Friday Harbor in a few days and re-evaluate. If it looks bad for a week or so, then we may go to Oak Harbor for cheap fuel and moorage.

John / Tom......We're running somewhat parallel to you. On the mainland side, in Pender Harbor tonight, crossing over to the Gulf Islands tomorrow and then home to Bellingham. Received word of a family emergency yesterday so we've got to make tracks and get home asap. Luckily we're at the end of the trip and fairly close. It was great to meet John and Tracy In Shearwater. We're going to Sitka next summer. John said they weren't going up, but how about you, Tom? I'd still buy you an Alaska Amber.....unless you caught fish at the spots I gave you near Lagoon Cove. In which case, you're buying!

I think I will be buying my friend...Good luck on you emergency.

Kitimat is on the west side of the Coast Mountains so we haven't had any fires in our area. The spring season here was unseasonably cool and damp...much like Ketchikan. There is still snow in the south facing bowl of Mount Elizabeth (starting at about 6000'') so it's been a pretty cool summer here as well.

I'm no authority on this stuff, but I'll take a stab at it...

The pine beetles in the interior of BC have historically been held in check by long cold snaps during winter...but it just hasn't been getting cold enough for long enough to kill them off for well over a decade now. A lot of the dead wood was logged, but much remains.

The interior of BC (the lands between the Coast Mountains and the Rocky Mountains) didn't get much snow and had a dry spring. The dry weather kept going into summer, and it was windy, with dry lightning storms. Grim combinations.

I believe the record for forest fire damage was broken in mid August...which is really bad because that's a little over half way through the fire season.

Murray- I believe you have stated the case and cause near perfect. Well stated. As to Ketchikan rain:
Quote:( “We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin’ rain, and big ol’ fat rain, rain that flew in sideways, and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.” – Forrest Gump

That quote from the movie “Forrest Gump” is a pretty apt summary of Ketchikan’s weather since June 1.

That’s when “summer” starts, according to the National Weather Service. And it ends Aug. 31.

At the time of this story, August isn’t quite done. And it’s still raining. But that doesn’t matter. The summertime rainfall record is busted, but good. Here’s Wes Adkins, with the Juneau-based National Weather Service.

“We have eclipsed 45 inches of rainfall for the entire summer for Ketchikan.

So, let’s break that down by month. June got 10.97 inches.

“That is 66 percent above normal,” Adkins said.

July, we got 11.17 inches.

“That’s 70 percent above normal.”

And then, we had August. Remember the first 11 days of August were dry. Lots of sunshine, warm weather, sunburns.

“And then you got to day 12,” Adkins said. “And you had the rest of the month. All told, Ketchikan received 22.9 inches of rainfall for the entire month.” So far.

“So, that was 133 percent above normal.”

Adkins said part of that was the fault of a typhoon, the remnants of which hit Ketchikan Aug. 21 and 22, when nine inches fell, causing flooding and damage.

The grand total for the year so far is more than 104 inches. Ketchikan’s average annual rainfall is 150 inches.

Ok, so summer has been wet. What about fall?

“Ketchikan and Southeast Alaska in general tends to get wetter towards October, so unfortunately for a lot of us, that is not the best news,” Adkins said. “But, looking at climate predictions, we’re not seeing a lot more rain than normal.”

And normal for October is around 20 inches.

But, last October, it was unusually dry in Ketchikan. So, maybe it will do that again this year?

“I would not bet on it. Unfortunate to say,” Adkins said. “Yeah, that would be a Las Vegas style gamble.”

Anyone willing to calculate the odds?

Spent 2 days in Montague Harbor. A very nice anchorage with lots of room. Unlike Nanaimo that was crazy and very crowded. No we did not get to the Hummingbird pub. We will save that for next time.

Attachments

• 20170908_141147.jpg
    20170908_141147.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170908_175024.jpg
    20170908_175024.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170908_141130.jpg
    20170908_141130.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170908_141155.jpg
    20170908_141155.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 82
Just crossed over and are back in the USA. Thank you and goodbye Canada. Friday Harbor seems to be full, but they said they would try to find us a spot.20170910_110057.jpg20170910_100454.jpg

The best part of the journey is behind you. Be safe on your way back around to the Columbia and home to your dock.

The best part of the journey is behind you. Be safe on your way back around to the Columbia and home to your dock.

Thanks Bud.

Anchored in Blind Bay on Shaw Island, if we can get moorage at Friday Harbor tomorrow, we will play like tourists. If not were heading to Oak Harbor for a weather window. Nothing even close yet for the next 10 days.

Good thing we are retired, got no schedule.

Cheers all!

Well sad to see them go. ASD and Pairadice split off today. Looks like a weather window for me on Friday or Saturday. I only need 12 hours to make it from Neah Bay to the bar, so our travel around the horn is differant than Pairadice. Sad....

Attachments

• 20170911_110251.jpg
    20170911_110251.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 65
Blog has been updated with two new entries: Time to Catch up and Back to the USA. Lots of pics....

We're sitting it out here in Oak Harbor. Possible short window that might work for Tom & Kay for this weekend. We move too slow, and should it get a bit tight to travel, we have no desire to wait it out for 7-10 days or more somewhere along the coast. Having made this trip a few times now, we have learned to wait it out in a good location like Oak Harbor.
We may take the opportunity to visit family over in Eastern Wash. as we were planning on visiting them once we got back to Portland.
A big thank you to all the followers of this trip, it has been a blast to travel with good friends and to meet so many TFer's along the way, as well as so many other cruisers.

Day 151 and last count was over 3100 NM

We need to see others out their that are actually using their boat and enjoying the travels to places right around the bend or an extended cruise. So please post your travels!

Cheers, Crusty

Back
Top Bottom