Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's where my bottle of booze is! Damn the hitch-hicking monkey's.!

Pairadice is safe in PR. He did the short cut in the dark!! He has bigger balls than I do.....

Pairadice is safe in PR. He did the short cut in the dark!! He has bigger balls than I do.....

At least there probably weren't fast fishing boats passing and waking him. I don't like going through there in daylight, much less in the dark.

We are now tied up to the breakwater dock at Cow Bay. Foggy bay had a pretty full anchorage. Thanks to the info from our friends aboard Gladiator, they saved us some time from going in. We entered Metkatla just as the sun set. Easy trip through, no traffic other than Gladiator behind us.
Radar was a big help as several of the Bouys had no lights, could of really done some damage there.
The decision to press on may have saved us a rather nasty crossing of Dixon, if we had stayed in Foggy Bay. But all is good for now. A cold beer and a warm bed are calling.
Tom thanks for the updates and hope you guys can catch up with us soon.

Cheers All.

Best we excuse the absence of photo evidence.:D

Next time while I'm monitoring depth, dodging unlit bouys and trying to get all the instrument lights as low as possible .....I'll try to get a screen shot for ya. Was too dark for photo's.

Cheers

Hi John...zipping south or meandering?

If you're taking the inside passage (as opposed to the "outside" inside passage) suggest nosing into the end of Khutze Inlet, then making a left before Klemtu to visit Kynoch and Mussel Inlets.

Have you hiked the seven beaches at Pruth Bay on Calvert Island?

Last edited:
Hi John...zipping south or meandering?

If you're taking the inside passage (as opposed to the "outside" inside passage) suggest nosing into the end of Khutze Inlet, then making a left before Klemtu to visit Kynoch and Mussel Inlets.

Have you hiked the seven beaches at Pruth Bay on Calvert Island?

Murray,

We like Khutze a lot, great crabbing but might be all crabbed out by now. We did Kynoch and Mussel last year with another Selene (Sea Badger) had a great trip.

Dont know if we have hiked all seven beaches, but have been in Pruth several times. Its our anchorage of choice to make the crossing at Cape Caution.

Wish we had time to make it to Kitimat this trip, but were quickly running out of time.

Cheers Bud!

So Typhoon Banyan is the reason for this crappy weather.....

Tom

Consider going to Pond Bay on Duke Island as an overnight stop before crossing Dixon. It's a little further to Dundas from there and doesn't get the traffic. You should be able to get there even with bad weather in Dixon as it is protected from the west.

Tom

There is reported an unmarked rock off the reef on east end of Dog Island where the chart notes 7 fathoms of water.

There is reported an unmarked rock off the reef on east end of Dog Island where the chart notes 7 fathoms of water.
:thumb:

The whole Cat/Dog area is a rock pile heaven if there ever was one, to the unknowing. :ermm:

Al-Ketchikan

Well looky here. He returns.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1503250146241.jpg
    FB_IMG_1503250146241.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 59
Saw Pairadice leave PR this morning with a parade of cruisers heading down the trench. Looking to catch up to Pairadice in Kutz or Shearwater.

Now in Hartley Bay. Spent last night in Lowe bay, great spot. If you anchor in front of the waterfall in the back corner, the flow kept Pairadice facing the waterfall all night.
Will stay here for a couple nights.
Have cell service and WiFi for weather.

Cheers

Tom, did ya get the new Gypsey yet? And did it solve the problem?

Due here by 5 PM today!!! Just waiting. Weather window looks good for a Thursday departure out of Ketch.

Go catch a few fish.

Got the new chain gypsy today and after 3 weeks in Ketchikan ASD is now FMC!! (Fully Mission Capable) Thursday still our shot as tonight.

KUDOS to a Local Business

I want to give a shout out to a local business in Ketchikan.

Frontier Shipping and Copy Work. If you need to receive a package have it sent here. Follow your tracking and when it arrives its a short walk down to the mall to pickup your package. There is a $1 handling fee. Both Pairadice and ASD have had rather large parts delivered and there were never any issues. Much more reliable than the USPS.:thumb::thumb:

Frontier Shipping and Copy Works
2417 Tongass Ave
Ketchikan, AK 99901
(907) 247-2705

I have no connection with this company. Just wanted to report great service.

John...we just rolled into Shearwater. Are you still in the Hartley Bay area? We'll be here for a few days. Still have Alaska Amber at the ready. Since Tom is behind you, he may miss out.

We leave Hartley in the morning. Will shoot for Bottleneck, then on to Shearwater Thursday. The tentative plan is get around Cape Caution on Sunday. Dont know if Tom and Kay (ASD) will catch up with us by then, but a tentative weather window looks good for Sunday.

For ASD a weather window opens up for Dixon Entrance tommow. Although not ideal, it is doable. Looks like I will be catching up in the Broughtons.

Thanks Tom and Kay for a fun and delicious happy hour last night aboard Alaskan Sea-Duction! They even ordered up a few minutes of sunshine between storms. Sure hoping the weather cooperates tomorrow.

One of the things Kay and I love is meeting other boater. Their is a group of folks that were leading a flotilla of boats through SE. I watched and read their blog with a lot of interest. I read about Red Bluff Bay and Warmsprings and after talking to Pairadice we made these our stops too.

Sam, of Safe Harbour and Laura and Kevin of Airship has formed a blog called "Slow Boat." Kay and I enjoyed thier company for cocktails last night. What else is there to do during a storm while waiting on a weather window?

Their blog is worth reading and Laura has some great recipes.

http://slowboat.com/

Attachments

• 20170822_194602.jpg
    20170822_194602.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
For ASD a weather window opens up for Dixon Entrance tommow. Although not ideal, it is doable. Looks like I will be catching up in the Broughtons.

I wish we had a speedy boat like you. We'd be crossing tomorrow too. For us at 7 knots it's a bit far from Ketchikan, especially because winds are predicted to pick up in the afternoon. We were going to get going today and stage up at Duke but it's kind of snotty out there.

9.5" of rain since Sunday and counting, Jeez!

Back
Top Bottom