Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I can't get the picture to load correctly for some reason.

With just one thumb, the pitchers fall to the side. If it had been your right thumb, it would have tipped to the right.

BTW, that is a pretty big smile for a guy with a hook through his thumb.

Well good news and bad news.

Got my windlass today! But it is the wrong one!!!!

Before ordering it, I called Maxwell Windlass and asked them which model number was a direct replacement for the old V-1000. She told me the VWC-1000.

WRONG! The direct replacement is the VWC-3500 according to the tech rep. I will have to cut a larger shaft hole.

So one is shipping tomorrow and I have to ship this one back and of course this is all on east coast time. Early morning tomorrow. Don't expect the new windlass until Monday.

I am so bummed.

Well.........
At least several bars are close and we still have nice weather for more fishing!

I can think of worst places to be stuck for another week!

Cheers! Crusty

Well.........
At least several bars are close and we still have nice weather for more fishing!

Cheers! Crusty

Chief, Nothing about cost difference? :whistling: Man you are such a gentleman.:hide:

Al:rofl:

Well.........

Cheers! Crusty

Wifey B: Your attitude is a lesson for others. I've never quite figured out why people supposedly doing pleasurable things turn them the opposite by how they react to things, making themselves and others miserable. It's like sports for fun and guys almost come to blows and fight or bridge. Bridge has to be the worst, people playing a card game and yet one person screws up and everybody just loses it. I don't get it. It's pleasure boating. We must keep that in mind. So, YAY, Crusty. :dance::dance:

Reactions: Al
Wifey B: Your attitude is a lesson for others. I've never quite figured out why people supposedly doing pleasurable things turn them the opposite by how they react to things, making themselves and others miserable. It's like sports for fun and guys almost come to blows and fight or bridge. Bridge has to be the worst, people playing a card game and yet one person screws up and everybody just loses it. I don't get it. It's pleasure boating. We must keep that in mind. So, YAY, Crusty. :dance::dance:

Well thank you!

Toms Windless is inbound and with nothing but Sunshine and time on our hands, it was a great fishing day. We brought back 6 Salmon today, 3 Pinks and 3 Silvers. Might even go back tomorrow, gotta give Tom a chance to redeem himself cuz he only got one of the six.
Freezer is almost full. If we catch anymore, might have to use up some Glacier Ice. Problem there would be the dent in the liquor locker........

Cheers all!

Chief, Nothing about cost difference? :whistling: Man you are such a gentleman.:hide:

Al:rofl:

Well Sir, Ive learned the Gentelman part from you.

Thank you Al for all your help!

Well thank you!

Toms Windless is inbound and with nothing but Sunshine and time on our hands, it was a great fishing day. We brought back 6 Salmon today, 3 Pinks and 3 Silvers. Might even go back tomorrow, gotta give Tom a chance to redeem himself cuz he only got one of the six.
Freezer is almost full. If we catch anymore, might have to use up some Glacier Ice. Problem there would be the dent in the liquor locker........

Cheers all!

Crusty has not told the whole story here, we all know how navy exaggerates!

We trolled for 3 hours! 3 hours without a bite, hit, nudge, NOTHING!

So I as a highly trained Alaskan in the movement and habits of the salmonoid species, I determined, based on tides, water temp, wind, salinity of the water, speed of the fishing boat, I was able to put Crusty on top of his prey!

Well OK, the fish were jumping in that area and where there are jumpers, there are fish. The ONLY reason he beat me at the number of fish is that he wouldn't LET ME FISH! He would get the fish in the boat, I would set him up on the downrigger at 30ft and before I can get mine set up, I would hear: " Fish On!!" WTF! Can't even allow me to get in the water! He was able to play this for a while, until the rip tide came in and we had to leave......:banghead::nonono:

It was a lot of fun! Great way to eat up some time while we wait on the new windlass. Maxwell is now sending me the correct model and should be here Monday afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_7995.jpg
    IMG_7995.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7996.jpg
    IMG_7996.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7998.jpg
    IMG_7998.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7999.jpg
    IMG_7999.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 56

Cheers all!
Dang, what a horrible problem to be faced with! :facepalm:

It sounds like you two are having a great time despite some minor set backs with windlasses and such.

Please keep sharing the photos and tall tales, err, I mean true stories. I'm enjoying the heck out of your travels.

Playing Tourista

So today's mission is to play Tourist. It will start raining this evening, so off we went.
First stop is the Saxman street Totem display.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 72
A few more

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 50
Here are a few more. Admiral and I started out fishing, got too windy, so now we are tourist.

Attachments

• 20170811_113617.jpg
    20170811_113617.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170811_113637.jpg
    20170811_113637.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170811_113642.jpg
    20170811_113642.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170811_152415.jpg
    20170811_152415.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170811_152510.jpg
    20170811_152510.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 68
Hi Guys,
I've been following your trip since day one. It has been a great story, We are so looking forward when we will be able to follow in your wake.
Hopefully it will be next year.

Pat

Rest Stop

Enuff of the Tourist Thing, time for Adult Beverages.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 52
Hi Guys,
I've been following your trip since day one. It has been a great story, We are so looking forward when we will be able to follow in your wake.
Hopefully it will be next year.

Pat

Thanks Pat! Don't put it off, just do it!

After a hard day as a tourist and a few adult drinks, things do tend to get out of hand

Attachments

• 20170811_174908.jpg
    20170811_174908.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 57
John, we've been off the grid the last 10 days on the lower west side of Prince of Wales. Just got into Prince Rupert after crossing from Cape Chacon. Sorry to hear about the latest windlass fiasco. You guys have had your share of headaches. Are you headed down soon? I've still got all this Alaska Amber that's been aging. I'm going to drink it soon if we don't connect.

Dont Bogart the AA, we still have another month or so.
Toms Windless should be in on Monday, bad news is the weather is gonna get crappy....
Oh well, might have to try a few other bars out, damn the bad luck.

Dry humping fiberglass bears?! Hope the windlass arrives soon.:)
Are you "stuck" in Ketchikan?

Dry humping fiberglass bears?! Hope the windlass arrives soon.:)
Are you "stuck" in Ketchikan?

"Stuck" ?

Hell,the local fisherman know us as "Lost Locals" , We are getting tired of helping everyone that's heading south Tie up, only to help them untie a few days later.

Cheers, Crusty

Well I have updated the Blog with 3 new entries:

1. Angoon to Coffman Cove
2. Misty Fjords
2. Ketch Again

This was yesterday. 1 to 2.5 inches expected. This is fun...

Attachments

• 20170812_141031.jpg
    20170812_141031.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 66
Well, all I can say is "aint that neat". All these "fun" photo's are hurting my eyes. Tom, what is the weather system you have in the photo (I can't read the name at the bottom of the device)? We're still in Montana. Hopefully, we'll be heading back to the boat soon. Fires down here are extremely bad again this year. Most of the cow work is ending. Going to take a couple of pack trips (fishing) unless the Woods Boss closes the forest. Adios, folks. Tell Kay hello from us.

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is "aint that neat". All these "fun" photo's are hurting my eyes. Tom, what is the weather system you have in the photo (I can't read the name at the bottom of the device)? We're still in Montana. Hopefully, we'll be heading back to the boat soon. Fires down here are extremely bad again this year. Most of the cow work is ending. Going to take a couple of pack trips (fishing) unless the Woods Boss closes the forest. Adios, folks. Tell Kay hello from us.

Hi guys!!! I take it caving went well.... :thumb:

Hold your seats. The weather device is NOT marine approved! Meaning it didn't cost much. I bought it at Lowes for $60. The only thing it doesn't do is tell me the direction of the wind. I have bow flags that does that job..

Safe journey home my friend.

Hi guys!!! I take it caving went well.... :thumb:

Hold your seats. I have bow flags that does that job..

Enough of them to qualify the boat as a 'motor sailor'. John mentioned that Tom his radar on at all times to see where he is due to flag etiquette abandonment. So the story goes.:hide:

Al-Ketchikan

Just another flutter in the wind!!

Back
Top Bottom