Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're operating out of Craig for the next little while. Where's the ASD gang headed next?

Attachments

• IMG_3525 A_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3525 A_edited-1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 67
We went from Angoon to Cannery Cove in pybus bay. Killed a few fish. Then back over to Portage Bay. John killed a few halibuts. He won't tell me his secret bait. I think he is just kissing that herring on the lips.

Today is a long run from Portage Bay to Coffman Cove. Just cleared Wrangell narrows. This is what it looks like.20170719_114026.jpg

Just to let everyone know we are in Coffman Cove until Sunday or Monday due to bad weather. Small craft today and tomorrow. Not much here.

Blowing like hell on the West side of Prince of Wales too. We're hunkered down in Craig until it let's up. Way too rough to fish today.

Tell the girls at JT Brown's that Brother Dave says hi and my Nadezda is tied on the main finger of South Harbor if you're out walking around....grin.

Blowing like hell on the West side of Prince of Wales too. We're hunkered down in Craig until it let's up. Way too rough to fish today.

Same here in Coffman Cove! Settles tomorrow.....

For anyone that is interested. The blog has been updated with 3 entries:1) Hoonah to Wrangell, 2) The 4th in Wrangell, 3) Wrangell to Angoon.

John, are you guys on your way down now.... Coffman Cove to Ketchikan and across to Rupert etc. ? I've got a bunch Alaska Amber I've been saving that I will have to drink myself! No, I'll save it in case we see you guys in BC as we travel south. We are going to cross Dixon leaving from Cape Chacon in about a week or 10 days, or when a weather window presents itself. If you have time, be sure to fish the Bella Bella area on your way down, particularly Cultus Sound which can be dynamite for big August coho. Caught kings there too. We're hitting Noyes Island hard the next couple days with a guest that flew in today.

Clarance Straits is good to us today.

Attachments

• 20170723_101737.jpg
    20170723_101737.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 73
Safe and sound in Ketch. Friday we are being joined by friends and family. Then we are on a short 5-day cruise to Misty Fjord....

Tomorrow, boat maintenance and wash job!

John, are you guys on your way down now.... Coffman Cove to Ketchikan and across to Rupert etc. ? I've got a bunch Alaska Amber I've been saving that I will have to drink myself! No, I'll save it in case we see you guys in BC as we travel south. We are going to cross Dixon leaving from Cape Chacon in about a week or 10 days, or when a weather window presents itself. If you have time, be sure to fish the Bella Bella area on your way down, particularly Cultus Sound which can be dynamite for big August coho. Caught kings there too. We're hitting Noyes Island hard the next couple days with a guest that flew in today.

Ken,
Day 101, with almost another 70 days to go, maybe more.

We are in Ketchikan doing boat maintenance, reprovisioning and guest arrivals on Friday. We will be doing Misty Fiords until around the 3rd. Then look for weather window to Prince Rupert. The plan is to spend a few days in Hartley Bay to kill some more fish. We really need to target Kings and Coho as they have been very elusive critters this year in AK. I met a great local in Hartley last year and he has promised us another "Fishing Feast" on our return. From there we work our way south to the Broughtons for hopefully some sunshine and warmer weather. The Admiral cant seem to have enough layers to stay warm!
This has been a pretty wet and cold summer for SE AK. But have had an awesome trip.
I can see why so many people enjoy this area year after year. The whale sightings both Humps and Killer were fantastic. The Glaciers to die for. Halibut fishing has been a blast and although the crabbing and prawns were somewhat scarce, we still were able to have many meals from our catches.
The freezer is almost packed. To make room for any more fish we will have to sacrifice some glacier ice......Hmmm, guess we need more adult beverage so the ice wont be wasted.
The list of TF members we have met this trip is growing, and we still have a couple more months to go!
Murray, if you and your family can take a couple days off, maybe we can meet up somewhere around Hartley bay?

Cheers TF Members, wish you all were able to see this fantastic cruising area.

Murray, if you and your family can take a couple days off, maybe we can meet up somewhere around Hartley bay?

Our paths might cross :thumb:

In a few days we're going to be "zipping" to Pruth Bay on Calvert Island and staying for about a week. Plan is to explore the ten or so beaches north and south of the main beach as well as trails to high points of land. Then we'll meander back to Kitimat (tending towards the mainland inlets) by mid August.

Internet access will be rare and we don't have AIS, so we'll see if we bump into each other :D

Restocking the boat. My daughter flys in on Friday, then we do Misty Fjord tour.

Attachments

• 20170724_135149.jpg
    20170724_135149.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170724_134647.jpg
    20170724_134647.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170724_134639.jpg
    20170724_134639.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65
The next few days is dedicated to boat maintenance, cleaning and washing. Oil and filters for the main engines.

Attachments

• 20170725_083056.jpg
    20170725_083056.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 61
:thumb:

Don't forget to check the engine zincs ;)

Wish we were boating...

:thumb:

Don't forget to check the engine zincs ;)

Wish we were boating...

Good catch!!:thumb: Too often forgotten. After being made aware of my zincs in this boat I set up a six month schedule of change out. Wrong!! It has to be five months. I buy two each time and place a date of change on a piece of masking tape-taped to the valve cover along with a piece each for oil change hours,oil filter, fuel filter fan belt. Then each time I check the engine, these reminders are staring me.:socool:

Al-Ketchikan

In a few days we're going to be "zipping" to Pruth Bay on Calvert Island and staying for about a week. Plan is to explore the ten or so beaches north and south of the main beach as well as trails to high points of land. Then we'll meander back to Kitimat (tending towards the mainland inlets) by mid August.

Internet access will be rare and we don't have AIS, so we'll see if we bump into each other :D

Murray- Happy to hear!!:flowers: Sounds delightful, I make it about 180 miles as the crow flies. This amounts to quite a voyage for us little fellows. Keep us posted on your return.
Al-Ketchikan

One of our guests caught a pretty good king west of Craig.

Attachments

• IMG952017072595122410.jpg
    IMG952017072595122410.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 63
So it is the end of July and WE HAVE TO RUN A HEATER!! What the heck.....

Attachments

• 20170726_210244.jpg
    20170726_210244.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 48
That was file footage. Just like this one.

Weekend is shaping up to look pretty good. Rain, winds to 25 knots seas to 5 ft in Clarence St. The real translation of that forecast is full rain gear is needed to get to the parking lot and the seas will be at least 7 feet.

Tom

Attachments

• P1030060.jpg
    P1030060.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 53

Murray, when you're exploring the beaches near Pruth Bay, be aware of the wolves on that island, especially if you have dogs with you. The wolves aren't a threat to humans but they are to dogs. There was a big black one hanging around the conference center buildings last year. In the Bella Bella area and especially near Shearwater, dogs have been attacked in broad daylight with humans present. Wanted you to know.....

Guests are coming onboard soon and we have decided to get out of Ketch asap. A storm is coming in tomorrow and if we get into Behm Canal this afternoon we can get ahead of the weather. 20 plus knots and snotty seas tomorrow and Sunday in Revillagigedo channel. IF we dont leave Ketch today, we are stuck here till Monday.
Be back with an update in 5 days.
Cheers!

My daughter has arrived.

Attachments

• 20170728_131244.jpg
    20170728_131244.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 51
New captain for ASD! My daughter Sam. Heading to Misty Fjords.

Attachments

• 20170728_153352.jpg
    20170728_153352.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
Thank God she took after her mother in beauty!!:flowers::angel: Would be an extremely ugly woman otherwise:hide::hide::peace::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::D

Back
Top Bottom