Pairadice and ASD Alaska Adventure 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it unseasonably cold and wet there?

I could see my breath this morning, fresh snow came down to the 4,500' mark on the mountains around town, and we're into our second crop of mushrooms which normally appear in the fall.

You'll know it's bad if the locals are complaining.

Last edited:

I could see my breath this morning, fresh snow came down to the 4,500' mark on the mountains around town, and we're into our second crop of mushrooms which normally appear in the fall.

You'll know it's bad if the locals are complaining.

Spoil Sport!!:banghead::banghead::facepalm:

Then on the other hand, Ketchikan has been extremely dry for this time of the year. Locals here are complaining over the lack of rain We have only had about estimated 15 inches this month so far. In fact, if it doesn't rain to day it is going to miss a chance!. :ermm:

Al-Ketchikan

Shoemaker marina on Wrangell Island with a pic of the new "Pairadice!"

Attachments

• 20170609_150435.jpg
    20170609_150435.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170609_151823.jpg
    20170609_151823.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 78
John's new Alaska fishing hat...

Attachments

• 20170609_154219.jpg
    20170609_154219.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 58
Hey John, what's the temp up there today? Happy you and Kay are having a great time! Snowed here last night in the hills around us. Montana.

It gets to the upper 50s. If the sun comes out 60s maybe 70. This morning a balmy 49f

Attachments

• 20170610_081521.jpg
    20170610_081521.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 61
Weird...you are so much further north but because Kitimat is 90 nautical miles from open water and surrounded by mountains it's colder here...46f at 9:30am

Wrangell-Mid 40's to maybe 60.
Last year about the same time people in town were complaining about the heat.

Wrangell-Mid 40's to maybe 60.
Last year about the same time people in town were complaining about the heat.

Wifey B: We were there in June, 2014 and highs were around 55 degrees. Toooooooooooo cold.l ;)

Wifey B: We were there in June, 2014 and highs were around 55 degrees. Toooooooooooo cold.l ;)

"Just right" said the frog:rofl::D

Al-Ketchikan

Wifey B: Well, it didn't work. We came anyway in 2014. :D

And you're welcome to come back. If you ever boat this way, try and make an effort to meander off what I call the Inside Passage treadmill...lots to see off the beaten path!

And you're welcome to come back. If you ever boat this way, try and make an effort to meander off what I call the Inside Passage treadmill...lots to see off the beaten path!

Wifey B: Well, even at the speeds we traveled, two months only allows you to see a little of it. We did somewhat like we do on the loop and other travels. We selected the places we could fit in the time and then we used the RIBS to explore around them and went on flights and even a boat tour as we didn't want to run in the ice where it would take us. We really didn't see much of BC. Only Canada we saw other than passing by was Victoria and Vancouver. We went to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Glacier Park, Skagway, Haines, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak and Sitka. :)

Wifey B: Well, even at the speeds we traveled, two months only allows you to see a little of it. We did somewhat like we do on the loop and other travels. We selected the places we could fit in the time and then we used the RIBS to explore around them and went on flights and even a boat tour as we didn't want to run in the ice where it would take us. We really didn't see much of BC. Only Canada we saw other than passing by was Victoria and Vancouver. We went to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Juneau, Glacier Park, Skagway, Haines, Valdez, Seward, Kodiak and Sitka. :)

True enough. North coast BC and SE Alaska hold a couple lifetimes of boating :thumb:

As the distance is somewhat. Might I ask what mode of transportation were you employing?:socool: Your Avatar is deceptive for the purpose of asking.:dance:

Al-Ketchikan

As the distance is somewhat. Might I ask what mode of transportation were you employing?:socool: Your Avatar is deceptive for the purpose of asking.:dance:

Al-Ketchikan

We were on an 85' boat with a cruising speed of 20-22 knots. Range at 20 knots of 600 nm and at 12 knots of 1300 nm. (8 knots, which we never ran, would be over 2300 nm).

Avatars are easy to change. Our current one is for local play and speed. 40 knots WOT, 35 knots cruise, but range of only 210 nm at cruise, so only 6 hours.

Last edited:
I don't understand what WifeyB's problem w cooler weather is but ....
I have no idea how people can stand temps in the high 80's or worse. Count me out. I wouldn't go to Florida for two days in the summer.
So WifyB isn't that weird ....
At least re temps.

Last edited:
I have no idea how people can stand temps in the high 80's or worse. Count me out. I wouldn't go to Florida for two days in the summer.
At least re temps.

I'm with you. When temps get above 75 degrees I get unhappy. Simply put, I don't like to be anywhere that you need AC to be comfortable. Strangely enough, I don't mind being in places that require heat to be comfortable.

However, I am glad that lots of folks don't like cool, wet, and dreary weather. If they did, they would end up here in the PNW.

At least re temps.

Wifey B: Now, Florida is a huge state and very different conditions throughout. Washington has a lot of variation too. In FL you have some areas that are very hot and no breeze, but then areas like South Florida that don't have the extreme heat and always a nice breeze off the ocean. In Washington, some areas with extreme cold but others that just have moderately cold during the winter and are fine for year round boating.

My problem with cold weather is that to stay warm you have to wear too many clothes. Less conducive to outdoor activities too. I prefer bikini's or t-shirts and shorts or something like that.

We lived in NC and had seasons and times we couldn't boat much and I never liked those months. :)

Wifey B: Willy, I taught in NC with a girl who moved from Minnesota. So much is what you're use to. She was miserable in the summer. Would run from house to car to store or restaurant but minimum outdoor time. Anytime it was over 85 degrees she wasn't going outside.

We were on an 85' boat with a cruising speed of 20-22 knots. Range at 20 knots of 600 nm and at 12 knots of 1300 nm. (8 knots, which we never ran, would be over 2300 nm).

Avatars are easy to change. Our current one is for local play and speed. 40 knots WOT, 35 knots cruise, but range of only 210 nm at cruise, so only 6 hours.

Wow!!! impressive, a trip to dress for.:thumb: Thanks B/B

I HATE hot weather with a passion. Unfortunately we need to take off for Phoenix today for a week. Not a trip of my choosing, but necessary.

It'll be 105+ for the next couple of days and up to 116 before the weekend.

Did I mention that I HATE hot weather?

OMG Mike,
If you survive come back to TF.

WifeyB,
Actually if I didn't sweat it may not be too bad. But I'll never know. You should get dressed sometime. Nice soft warm clothes get my nod.

Dave,
Marin usta chastize us for saying nice things about the PNW. With this global warming we may need to go back to Alaska.

Dave,
Marin usta chastize us for saying nice things about the PNW. With this global warming we may need to go back to Alaska.

I am going to head up there next summer. My Mom loves going on cruises with the company Un-cruise. She has done most of them and next year they are going to do a new one. I get to tag along. I just hope I can keep up with her for the hiking and kayaking. Bears, Bergs, and Bushwacking

I will be able to escape the horrendous upper 70's heat of the PNW for a week.

I HATE hot weather with a passion. Unfortunately we need to take off for Phoenix today for a week. Not a trip of my choosing, but necessary.

It'll be 105+ for the next couple of days and up to 116 before the weekend.

Did I mention that I HATE hot weather?

Wifey B: Well, I'm most assuredly not a fan of 105 or 116 and all the BS about dry heat, well my oven is dry heat but not crawling in it. :rolleyes:

It was hot for our wedding and honeymoon. Vegas 108 degrees. Worst of all options as it gets crazy hot and cold there. And 108 is bad enough but when it's all buildings and pavement, then it's more like 120 or 130. Easy to burn your feet. :eek:

South Florida has never been close to that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom