Newport beach, CA Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
My wife & I went to the Boat Show on Thursday & Had a terrific time! The weather was perfect (75 degrees with a light breeze) and the "In The Water Exhibits" were outstanding. (IMO) All kinds of boats...from kayaks to multi million dollar small ships. New and brokered. Best show in years!

After a stop for dinner in Dana Point, I ask my wife what she thought the "best bang for the buck" in the whole show was. She said that the 2002 Bayliner 4788 @ $220K (asking) and in "immaculate" condition with 300 hours was her pick. I couldn't agree more! Cruising in the mid teens with a pair of 330B Cummins, generator, inverter, heat & air, nice inflatable dinghy with a 15 hp OB, beautiful and functional interior, great P.H., etc.The few warts and pimples that I saw could be fixed for 1 boat unit.

For a couple that wants a great live aboard & coastal cruiser, turn key, ready to cruise, this was the boat.

I like the 4788 also, Walt. We were looking at an example prior to buying our GB about six or seven years ago. I believe a few folks on TF have the 4788; KSanders ??? The family that purchased the one we saw have enjoyed it immensely. It's still in the SF Bay Area, but haven't seen her for about two years.

My slip neighbor had the previous model to that boat and I think it was about the same size. He had nothing but problems with that boat. It had Hino diesels (Mitsubishi if I remember right) and twins. He was towed in by Vessel Assist so many times I couldn't count how many. The generator was an Onan and I'll not go into that one but to say, trouble and very expensive repairs.

I hope they improved the build and having Cummins is much better.

I went fishing with him on that boat a few times. I knew it well.

My slip neighbor had the previous model to that boat and I think it was about the same size. He had nothing but problems with that boat. It had Hino diesels (Mitsubishi if I remember right) and twins. He was towed in by Vessel Assist so many times I couldn't count how many. The generator was an Onan and I'll not go into that one but to say, trouble and very expensive repairs.

I hope they improved the build and having Cummins is much better.

I went fishing with him on that boat a few times. I knew it well.

The 4788 never has the 6DS7 Mitsu engines- they came with either the 310hp Hino (Toyota diesel with an excellent reliability record) or the Cummins. I'd venture a guess that your slip neighbor had a maintenance problem (as in not maintaining) rather than a boat problem.

I don't know the exact model of his boat. It was a Bayliner and was probably made in the early 90's or late 80's. This was about 95 and it was relatively new at that time. I honestly don't remember the causes of his engine failures because he always laughed it off as no big deal and I was constantly going or doing my boat maintenance.

On the Onan it was the circuit board and then other issues like the raw water pump, fuel pump and something else. He wasn't the best at servicing things, I'll give you that.

After thinking it over, his boat was under 42 feet. What boats did they make then? The slips graduate down from mine and he was on the 40' slip side. He hung out a little.

Last edited:
I looked on yachtworld and I'm thinking it had to be the 39 foot boat they made.

Sorry about comparing it to the larger one.

Back
Top Bottom