Need advice for first longer cruise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful. Do y'all swim there or is the water too cold? Looks like a great swimming spot, but I'm from Texas and our water is currently about 117 degrees.

Beautiful. Do y'all swim there or is the water too cold? Looks like a great swimming spot, but I'm from Texas and our water is currently about 117 degrees.

I had a similar question as to water temperature, because I don't know what they consider warm. I am most certain it's not the same as you would. At home today ours is 86 degrees. Where we are at the moment it's 66 degrees and everyone is hitting the beaches today.

I had a similar question as to water temperature, because I don't know what they consider warm. I am most certain it's not the same as you would. At home today ours is 86 degrees. Where we are at the moment it's 66 degrees and everyone is hitting the beaches today.
Temperature would be the least of my concerns but then I'm one to jump in first thing in the morning in most places.

No, thinking in terms of a few thousand heads, sinks and who knows what else, I would have other concerns in some of those tiny hidie holes.

Actually the water in that area can get to 75 - 80 degrees. Lots of rock to heat up and DS is sort of at the the confluence where the current from the north and south of Vancouver meet. It's an aberration but a pleasant one...

Last year when we were up there, the concert on the bay series brought in 3 bands and they played on the swim step of about an 80 ft'r. Everyone attended the concert in their dinghy's wearing rain gear ( it is the northwest ) pretty cool event and a lot of work, the nearest road is probably 15 miles away.

The end of the night was eventful, PH had more boats than normal because of the concert and about midnight it started blowing about 25 to 35 through there... More than a few boaters learned why oversized ground tackle is a good thing. Lots of drug anchors, a few failed stern ties and more than one boat left in the middle of the night.

Yeah this is a great location. In my 2 day experience, It appears that Melanie Cove is a bit quieter than Laura cove. Here there are predominantly sailboats, in Laura Cove it was predominantly powerboats. Maybe this doesn't hold true, but the folks here are nice and quiet. Laura Cove is arguably prettier, if you can see past all the 4788s. Laura Cove also has some great swimming spots right near by is you get tired of swimming off the boat.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469894527.710684.jpg

Earlier there was a thread that discussed the setting of permanent rings for stern ties in some of the marine parks. This is a picture of one that the boats next to me are using. Sorry about the poor quality but it is the best my iPad could do. There is a metal plate bolted to the rock with a ring set in the middle of it. Attached to the ring is about a 6' (since we are in Canada make that 2m) length of chain. Very nice setup. I have not had the occasion to use one yet, instead I have been trying to kill my children by having them scale cliffs.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469894934.185785.jpg

I grew up and most of my life has been spent sailing on Puget Sound. In that entire time I probably went swimming no more than a couple dozen times. The water in Puget Sound is in the low 50s in the Summer and the high 40's in the coldest of winters.

Desolation Sound is known for its warm water. The locals could explain why better than I but is hose to due with the unique currents in the area. Here the water "warm" by PNW standards. Currently, my RM system is giving a sea temp of 72 degrees. Not sure how accurate that is and this is still early. I do know that we spend a lot of time in the water. It is warmer than most lakes we are used to swimming in.

After following you along Dave, reading Crusty and Ka_se_ta (redacted here) I know I am stuck in the past, far too old to change and realize I need a 3 season boat:

Crusty Chief; said:
But now that we are back in Desolation it may be used as the traffic is a Zoo!
Crusty Chief; said:
Guess we got spoiled up North. ASD and us parked in Squirrel Cove last night along with at least 60 other boats.

Ka_sea_ta; said:
The end of the night was eventful, PH had more boats than normal because of the concert and about midnight it started blowing about 25 to 35 through there... More than a few boaters learned why oversized ground tackle is a good thing. Lots of drug anchors, a few failed stern ties and more than one boat left in the middle of the night.

Sounds too much like Sturgis, Haulover and Havasu for me.

Ted, Keith, you copy?

Attachments

• Sturgis.jpg
    Sturgis.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Haulover.jpg
    Haulover.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Havasu.jpg
    Havasu.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 45
Not interested in having my picture taken in any of those gatherings. lol

Ted

We left Malanie Cove to head South. I am having my son-in-law drive and was showing him how to use the AIS. Seeing a boat on a converting course I said "for example, if you wanted to hail that boat to arrange a pass you would highlife their AIS icon, and get the complete info to get their name". So I did it to show him and said "if we wanted to hail this boat, the name is the Alaska Sea Duction, wait what?!"

I hailed then on VHF and said hi. Turns out Crusty Chief was following in company. Small world. They were in Squirrel Cove a day behind us.

We left Malanie Cove to head South. I am having my son-in-law drive and was showing him how to use the AIS. Seeing a boat on a converting course I said "for example, if you wanted to hail that boat to arrange a pass you would highlife their AIS icon, and get the complete info to get their name". So I did it to show him and said "if we wanted to hail this boat, the name is the Alaska Sea Duction, wait what?!"

I hailed then on VHF and said hi. Turns out Crusty Chief was following in company. Small world. They were in Squirrel Cove a day behind us.
So how come you don't show up on Marine Traffic AIS?

HW asked how the kids were enjoying themselves on the trip in another thread. I will answer here. I think they are enjoying it a lot. My son definitely has been having fun. I think my daughter and her husband have been having a great time as well.

Isn't cruising with family what it is really all about? Precious time that is, in Mastercard's terms, "priceless"! To me to least, it is so completely different, and better, than land trips with family. Family time is much more concentrated, for lack of a better description.

Looks nice HW. I think we may do that.

My wife and I need a chance to sit down and discuss the next week and see what we want to do. I think your suggestion of taking a look at things up here, while we are here, is a good one.

Now I am letting the kids drive. 2' following seas off the Stb quarter. My daughter has decided that the helm chair is the best place NOT to get seasick.

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. Great pics.

Had the opportunity to meet David and his family last night. Nice folks who seem like they're having great time. They sure picked the right weather window! Just saw them leave out of the telescope. Beautiful flat day to cross if that's what they're doing.

Had the opportunity to meet David and his family last night. Nice folks who seem like they're having great time. They sure picked the right weather window! Just saw them leave out of the telescope. Beautiful flat day to cross if that's what they're doing.
:thumb:
Nice when you can put faces to names along the way.
A good Malaspina July noon sea. Looks like Nanaimo bound maybe.

Safe travels Dave.

Yup. Karen decided that she wanted to go to Nanaimo (sorry HW). Since the weather was so good today we decided to take advantage and cross to Comox for tonight. Absolutely beautiful out here, calm water and little wind. The current is helping us along as well. Hopefully Comox won't be too full on this holiday weekend.

It was nice meeting Northern Spy in person. My family were impressed. I think they would have swapped him for me. My daughter said that he reminded her of some of my cousins.

Yup. Karen decided that she wanted to go to Nanaimo (sorry HW). Hopefully Comox won't be too full on this holiday weekend.
Haha...
No need for apologies to me. It's your boat, your wife and I know there's no Walmart in Jervis Inlet.

Sent you a PM with some numbers for alternate moorage in case Comox is full which I doubt it is.

Thanks HW.

BTW, just heard "Touch of Grey" hailing on 16. Wonder if it is Bruce up here on vacation?

Thanks HW.

BTW, just heard "Touch of Grey" hailing on 16. Wonder if it is Bruce up here on vacation?

I saw Touch of Grey was up, I think, around Von Donop and suchaser was on the hook at Nanaimo.

Just looked, there is a Touch of Grey near Twin Islands maybe headed for DS. Surprising how many there are with the same name though.

Last edited:
That was an amazingly easy and quick crossing we just had. Almost beat the kids on the ferry.

Dave is on the move, Heading for Nanaimo.

Dave: What has been decided for the coming week?

As someone who is currently without a vessel, I just want to say thanks for bringing us all along! I really miss this kind of adventure. Can't wait to get back to it. Safe travels, Dave.

Dave is on the move, Heading for Nanaimo.
Dave: What has been decided for the coming week?

I worried he might get lost last night, between the Blackfin and John's, in the big city of Comox but I guess he did ok.

Looks like a great day for a leisurely cruise down that side of the Strait, moving along nicely with the ebb for a good chunk of it.

I hope he can gunkhole a bit after Baynes Sound, down past Qualicum and Parksville, to see some nice sites before heading out into Ballenas Channel.

Dave, as with most of the Island, there is a lot of history in those small towns you are seeing.

Last edited:
As someone who is currently without a vessel, I just want to say thanks for bringing us all along! I really miss this kind of adventure. Can't wait to get back to it. Safe travels, Dave.
Completely agree, Dave and it is especially nice to go along in familiar territory, understanding what they are seeing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom