Old 07-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #101
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
We are also heading north this week maybe see you up there... It is too late now but NEXUS is your friend for clearing customs both coming and going... The other thing is don't forget your DTOPS sticker you can get that online otherwise it's another 1/2 hour clearing US customs... Have a safe trip..
Yup, with both my work schedule and my wife's, we weren't able to do the NEXUS thing, and didn't know about the DTOPS sticker until too late. Next time....

Keep an eye out for me. You should be able to see where we are with the SPOT link before. Give us a call if spot us.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #102
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We considered Pender, but since the kids only have a week, picking them up at Pender reduces the time they have in DS. Fortunately, there were able to get reservations on the Ferries going from Tsawwasson -> Nanaimo and from Comox to Power River. It should be a nice trip for them.

An excellent choice and if they go back via the Sunshine Coast ferries they will have done the "circle route."

Have fun.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #103
Guru

Weather woes...

OK, I am still sitting in my den at home and already making alternate plans due to weather.

The forecast for the Juan de Fuca Strait tomorrow afternoon is gale warnings and 3-5ft seas. In the Strait, the wind will be against the current so those will be short, steep, and rather unpleasant. So....

I am considering alternatives. I could go through Deception Pass at the Noon slack tomorrow, but would still face the relatively open waters of the southern end of Rosario. Instead, I am considering making the long trek up the Swinomish channel and crossing Rosario to Thatcher Pass. I have never made that trip before and it makes it a much longer run. The forecast for Rosario is much more benign with small craft advisories and 2 foot wind waves.

If the weather conditions are too bad in Rosario, we can always wait it out in Anacortes.

Open to any thoughts on that idea...

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
Open to any thoughts on that idea...
It's a plan and not a bad idea. Love Swinomish any time.

Schedules and weather...

Could you leave now and push through to Port Townsend, sit and watch Friday, then run to Sidney Saturday? Back on track.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
It's a plan and not a bad idea. Love Swinomish any time.

Schedules and weather...

Could you leave now and push through to Port Townsend, sit and watch Friday, then run to Sidney Saturday? Back on track.
We could, but even on Saturday the Strait will likely be less than pleasant. supposedly the wind falling 10-20 knots in the afternoon, but then increasing again. If the forecast is off a bit, there may not be much of a window and we could end up sitting in PT for a few days.

The Swinomish will get us farther North in quit water, then it is just a matter of getting across Rosario. The forecasts there are a bit better, but again with the current/wind combo, the waves will tend to be short and steep, but nothing like the Straits with a strong ebb current against a 20-30 kt wind.

I am just not sure of how quickly I can make the transit up the Swinomish, never having done it before.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #106
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave
Like Georgia Str, Juan de Fuca predictions are good only in Juan de Fuca. Rosario , Haro the San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands are not predicted by the same rules. They are much more dependent upon local effects and generally don't get wild at all when the larger bodies of water follow the predictions (sometimes). Also, in recent times, the predictions are for the likelihood of worst case, and often never materialise, or, if they do, only in a portion of the whole area covered by the forecast.
EG: when Georgia Str, south of Nanaimo is predicting Gale Force, that will almost always be accurate at Entrance Island, but by the time you are down by Saturna, it will be calm. I have noticed this on uncountable crossings by ferry, coming out of Active Pass onto millpond conditions, with the Gale Force still blowing at Entrance.

All of this is to say, stay inside the San Juans as much as you can, and you should be fine. Then, when you cross Haro Str, you may be exposed to a short stretch of open water, but it is not likely to behave the same as Juan de Fuca. Once in the Gulf Islands, again you wil have lots of protection. While it can blow up in the Gulf Islands, it will never build waves higher than you can comfortably handle.
We live on Houston Passage, one that can get a decently strong SE or NW wind, and the worst case scenario here is about 2.5' chop. This discourages 30' sailboats pounding into it, but your 43 should have no difficulty. That rarely occurs for more than an hour in the afternoon, wind against tide.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #107

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
There is a fairly large tide tomorrow afternoon at LaConner, starting with a minus tide around 2pm. You should go through the Swinomish on a rising tide and I suggest waiting until mid tide at 5-6pm so you have more depth. Also, the currents should be less at that time at the south entrance. You will easily get to Anacortes before sunset waiting for the rising tide. There is no way I would venture into the east strait with the current forecast.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #108
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Perhaps you could head north thru Swinomish, then come up the Sunshine Coast, clear customs in Vancouver, then head north and cross the Strait of Georgia to Comox.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #109

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Perhaps you could head north thru Swinomish, then come up the Sunshine Coast, clear customs in Vancouver, then head north and cross the Strait of Georgia to Comox.

The Fraiser River delta can be uncomfortable, it's shallow and it seems that when it is rough the waves are steep... We have done it once and now we always go up and down the west side of straights. If it kicks up there are a lot more places to hole up on the west side...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Sorry Peter, not a good over all plan and he is not headed for Comox. Even if it were a good weather option, a Vancouver reporting is very much out of the way.

It's a long way north to anywhere from Swinomish, especially in an 8 knot boat and Sand Heads can be ugly.

Steady as she goes...San Juans; Gulf Islands; across the strait.

Never mind, they are on the move, let's see where they go. SPOT page
Old 07-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
There is a fairly large tide tomorrow afternoon at LaConner, starting with a minus tide around 2pm. You should go through the Swinomish on a rising tide and I suggest waiting until mid tide at 5-6pm so you have more depth. Also, the currents should be less at that time at the south entrance. You will easily get to Anacortes before sunset waiting for the rising tide. There is no way I would venture into the east strait with the current forecast.
Thanks for the heads up on the tide. It is exactly on the wrong direction at the wrong time. Anacortes isn't my final destination for the day so I may see I I can get an early start. I will be fighting the current the whole way and have to deal with a very low tide, but that will beat trying to cross the straight with the current forecast.

If the weather looks better tomorrow, I can always wait for the noon slack at deception and cut across there, but likely will head up past La Conner.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #112
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Plan B on day 1. Kinship blew past Kingston already.

...I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable. Dwight D Eisenhower
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

...I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable. Dwight D Eisenhower
Yup, will try to get onto Langley tonight to cut some time off of tomorrow.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Lol, feels kinda like stalking doesn't it?
Tonight, Everett?
Tomorrow, Swinomish (maybe Deception Pass) to Stuart Is (maybe beyond)?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Lol, feels kinda like stalking doesn't it?
Tonight, Everett?
Tomorrow, Swinomish (maybe Deception Pass) to Stuart Is (maybe beyond)?
I just got a slip set aside for me at Langley. That will put me a bit over 4 hours from La Conner tomorrow morning. My guess is that slack current in La Conner will be around 9:00am. So, a 5:00am start should work. Then if all goes well, another 6-7 hours to Bedwell.

Of course, that plan could change at any time. I really like that quote that Northern Spy posted.

And of course, if I was worried about stalking I wouldn't post the SPOT.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #116
Guru

As Keith indicated above, the really strong winds in the East end of Juan de Fuca haven't materialized. Still happy with the decision to go up the Swinomish, as long as I don't run aground that is.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #117
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
If it's too crappy and you stop in Anacortes look us up on C dock. We will be there for the weekend.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As Keith indicated above, the really strong winds in the East end of Juan de Fuca haven't materialized. Still happy with the decision to go up the Swinomish, as long as I don't run aground that is.
You'll be fine, just think about a big old sailboat keel stuck on the bottom of Kinship.

Don't round N "2" early and the range will be your best buddy.

You likely already noticed the aids (RRR) change a little past (north of) La Conner.

If you get a chance to stop in La Conner, reward yourselves with a Calico Cupboard cinnamon bun.

Bedwell for dinner and the sunset.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #119
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We're just leaving Prideaux Haven, headed to Rebecca Spit. Beautiful weather up here!

I installed the Class B AIS just prior to departing, so y'all can find us if you wish.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
If it's too crappy and you stop in Anacortes look us up on C dock. We will be there for the weekend.
Passing Anacortes now Bob. See us wave?

Dave
SPOT page