Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #41

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
WG is Whiskey Golf, the torpedo testing range just North of Nanaimo. Can't cross it when it's active.

porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
WG?
Canadian Forces Maritime Experimental and Test Ranges Exercise Area (Whiskey Golf) - CCG - Pacific - Marine Communications and Traffic Services

Whiskey Golf: The Reality - Waggoner Cruising Guide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whiskeygolf1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	51209  

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
I couldn't talk my wife out of skipping the wedding...
That's an easy one. Have the wedding on the boat. If you are in Desolation Sound you will be able to walk across 20 rafted decks and dance on the ubiquitous barge. Guests take the empties back with them and you carry on.
Quote:
..so we will leave on July 24th and will plan on being back on August 6th
The good news with those dates is boats will generally be more transient. Every day there will be outbound between say, 9 and noon with inbound heaviest between 2 and 4. That is not scientific. Just anecdotal. No 12 boat poll taken.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
WG is Whiskey Golf, the torpedo testing range just North of Nanaimo. Can't cross it when it's active.
Thanks guys. I was aware of it, just didn't recall the name.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #45

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Following BandB's lead, here are the running hours for our 2013 Desolation Sound trip. 4-11-7-7-0-3-2-0-1-2-3-9-4-9-6-3. Total hours 71. Daily average about 4.5.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
The good news with those dates is boats will generally be more transient. Every day there will be outbound between say, 9 and noon with inbound heaviest between 2 and 4. That is not scientific. Just anecdotal. No 12 boat poll taken.
Good thing I like to get up early. We are used to me taking off in the morning while my wife is still asleep in the berth. I can get a couple hours of running in before she gets out of bed. Might be longer now since the NP 43 is quieter under way than the sailboat was.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Good thing I like to get up early. We are used to me taking off in the morning while my wife is still asleep in the berth. I can get a couple hours of running in before she gets out of bed. Might be longer now since the NP 43 is quieter under way than the sailboat was.
Our normal departure time is around 7:00 AM. In Alaska, in the summer, we'd often move that even an hour or so earlier. In areas with 12-14 hour days, we find the early start allows us to make longer runs or more often just arrive early to mid afternoon and have a large part of the day and hours of sunlight left. At home we sleep later but on the water it's just the schedule we've found works so well for us.

As I look at Porman's 4-11-7-7-0-3-2-0-1-2-3-9-4-9-6-3, allowing an hour for full docking and settling in then leaving at 7, you're at your destination by noon on day one, 7 PM day two, then 3 the next two days so half the afternoon and all evening remaining. The 3 hour, 2 hour and 1 hour days really leave you a full day at your destination. We are willing to sacrifice time at the start of the day to gain it at the end. Now again, Alaska is a different world with 17 hour days. In fact, one thing one has to watch is that most of us are conditioned not to go to bed until a couple of hours after sunset and to wake before or shortly after sunrise. When you first hit Alaska, you may find yourself struggling to get a full nights sleep. Early in our time there we woke early and walked up to the flybridge about 4:30 AM. When we got there we found two others who had already made coffee and were sitting up there drinking it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #48
Guru

Good points on the long days. I live at 47.3N so am used to longer days in the summer. Another reason I wish we were leaving end of June. I love those long days.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #49

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Dave,

In terms of getting north, don't overlook using your reciprocal privileges at Royal Victoria. We are happy to have visitors, there is a customs phone at the head of the dock.

It's also very doable from GH in a day. Catch the tide and you should be good to go. In our Catalina 36 we have made the trip in 8 hours at 6 knots. Not every time, but not unreasonable.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
Dave,

In terms of getting north, don't overlook using your reciprocal privileges at Royal Victoria. We are happy to have visitors, there is a customs phone at the head of the dock.

It's also very doable from GH in a day. Catch the tide and you should be good to go. In our Catalina 36 we have made the trip in 8 hours at 6 knots. Not every time, but not unreasonable.
That is a good suggestion as well. I have been thinking about reciprocal options, particularly on the push North and then back down South. While Victoria in one shot is very tempting, it depends on good weather in the Strait. There is also finding a spot at a reciprocal dock once we arrived at about 6pm on a Friday evening in the middle of the summer.

I looked at the tides and currents for our day of departure, and if we left at sunrise, it wouldn't be bad at all.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #51
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)

That JPEG does not correctly show "WG", BTW. It shows a much larger area. The eastern boundary of WG is 12348.40W:

Coordinates of hazardous Area WG

4921.35N 12407.70W
4921.00N 12348.40W
4914.83N 12348.40W
4916.75N 12400.90W
4919.35N 12407.70W

Just go cruising...

If going to Desolation Sound, consider traveling up the eastern side of the Gulf. It's more direct. You can clear customs in Steveston. Great facilities and lots of space. You can stay in Point Roberts or Succia the previous night. Steveston to Pender Harbour is 50 mm. Another 50 mm to squirrel Cove or Prideaux Haven. Be aware that DS is really busy in the summer, which is why we typically stay during the shoulder periods. It's easy to avoid Whisky Golf along this route.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #52
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
We don't do destinations, we do directions and turnaround when time gets tight.
A much more relaxed trip that way.

Oh ! wait a minute I forgot Sharon retired we simply don't care about time anymore and rarely know what day it is
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #53
Guru

Thanks for the info Jim. Again, our dates are dictated to us unfortunately. I can't wait until my wife retires so we can go cruising in September, but not an option for a couple more years.

Just found out that my daughter and son-in-law have decided to join us for part of the trip. They would like to meet us in Powell River. So I need to factor that in.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We don't do destinations, we do directions and turnaround when time gets tight.
A much more relaxed trip that way.

Oh ! wait a minute I forgot Sharon retired we simply don't care about time anymore and rarely know what day it is

Gotcha.
I mostly stayed away from group rides and flotillas.
Pull out and follow the clear sky.
Hook up with others along the way. Or not.
That's why I have mixed feelings about AIS; sometimes I just don't want to be found.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #55
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Is there somewhere close to take a 4 day weekend first? It helped us sort out what we forgot before getting too far from home. It also exposed that both heads needed to be rebuilt.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #56
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

Just found out that my daughter and son-in-law have decided to join us for part of the trip. They would like to meet us in Powell River. So I need to factor that in.
We have people join us for legs of our trips all the time and really enjoy it. It provides variety. i know in Alaska where we were rotating guests in and out, by midway our trip we'd seen a good number of glaciers. However, to our new guests, it was a first for them so we got to experience their excitement.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Is there somewhere close to take a 4 day weekend first? It helped us sort out what we forgot before getting too far from home. It also exposed that both heads needed to be rebuilt.
We will be doing a number of weekends on the boat before this trip so will have more opportunities for shakedowns. We have had 4 excursions so far and find small issues each time. Sometimes it is repairing things that are broken, more often it is simply learning how to operate new systems.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #58

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Powell River. Westview

Great stop, very good water. Free shuttle upHILL to shopping, everything available there. And another day, headed North and you are in DS.. 3 NP's in Sucia over the wkend. We are heading North on the 10th, Juneau bound..happy days
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Great stop, very good water. Free shuttle upHILL to shopping, everything available there. And another day, headed North and you are in DS.. 3 NP's in Sucia over the wkend. We are heading North on the 10th, Juneau bound..happy days
You had great weather! 3NPs in one spot. Not bad.

BTW, can you take a look at this thread when you have a chance. It is a NP question.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
They would like to meet us in Powell River. So I need to factor that in.
If they are planning to drive, research and co-ordinate the ferries, 2 each way, well. There will be long lineups and possibly missed sailings if not planned well. Not to mention a long haul, possibly an overnighter from Seattle. On a long weekend.

Not to mention??? That's a dumb phrase when we mention anyway.

Flying up...forget what I just said