Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Forgot to ask;
Overnight preference, hook or dock?
Either. After a couple days my wife needs to stretch her legs. So dock or a place to dinghy in. Neither of us are fond of crowds.
How many days do you "think" you can do without a marina?
5-7 days
What is your tender-power-range?
10' rib, Honda 8hp 4 stroke
Dog?
No, thank God!

Some more points to think about...July 1, Friday. July 4, Monday.
A perfect storm.

Yeah, I have been looking at that as well. Both US and Canada with 3 day weekends.

A large contingent of Canadians will be moving out Thursday for sure and cheating it to a 5 day weekend. July 1 is a BIG boating weekend. Probably not as many from the US as later but really busy.

Aug.1, BC Day, same thing but more US folks heading north and south.

Most BC schools run to June 29 this year, so you get a head start.

This is two weeks not a weekend and I'm betting you will tire of continuous 8-10 hour days real quick. As you near the long weekend, you will also need to plan for early, like mid day, arrivals unless you have reservations.
I think we can do 2-3 long days, then will need to take it easy. We can then do 2-3 long days coming back home.

If you must do Desolation; Ladysmith or Kuper Is. gives you the option of Dodd if you want to try it and I would, if timing is right. Jump across to Nelson/Hardy Island on say, the 27th. From there you could provision at Westview, say "Hi" to the Spy and still do Desolation ahead of the crush, or head into Jervis Inlet with the challenge of Telescope Passage.

Hotham, Prince of Wales and Sechelt Inlet will not be as busy as Desolation. Sechelt Inlet affords good tender exploring without the crowds and you get to see the mighty Skookumchuck..

In any event, figure on crowds June 29 to July 4 which will make relocation a headache. Same for Aug.1.

Oh yeah, Genoa Bay if you get the chance.
Sigh, too many choices.
Yeah, way too many options. That is part of my problem. Your ideas are extremely helpful however!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
I just picked up on this. Are you saying you have a month +/- at that time? If so that is when you do a couple of long days, hit Desolation and keep going...and going.
I wish. No, I only can take about two weeks. My wife is done with school end of June so the earliest we could leave would be the 24th, but that would be pushing it a bit. My wife has a wedding that she would like to be at in the middle of July, so that would leave us the end of July until near the end of August to get two weeks in that period.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I wish. No, I only can take about two weeks. My wife is done with school end of June so the earliest we could leave would be the 24th, but that would be pushing it a bit. My wife has a wedding that she would like to be at in the middle of July, so that would leave us the end of July until near the end of August to get two weeks in that period.
Um, you are an experienced single hander; why can't she just fly home for the wedding.

Hey...that was NOT my idea, ok?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
We are berthed on Vashon Island in Quartermaster Harbor and this is how we head north. We try to get an early start and can run all the way to Anacortes thru Swinomish channel, but staying in La Conner is an option too. From there we go to Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island to stage for the next run into Canada. You can get to Bedwell to clear customs that same day but we choose to go the next as it is a short hop across to clear customs from Stuart. Clearing customs has always been a short process for us, 15 minutes including a restroom stop for crew members. Then, we go to either Nanaimo or Telegraph harbor to catch the right tide thru Dodd Narrows.

It all depends on how far north you'd like to go but remember there is a lot of nice places to go in the Gulf Islands. We prefer the no schedule schedule when cruising. We are both retired teachers now and completely understand your academic schedule.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Um, you are an experienced single hander; why can't she just fly home for the wedding.

Hey...that was NOT my idea, ok?
Lol, great idea. The only problem is time and money. Those two are always so annoying.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
We are berthed on Vashon Island in Quartermaster Harbor and this is how we head north. We try to get an early start and can run all the way to Anacortes thru Swinomish channel, but staying in La Conner is an option too. From there we go to Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island to stage for the next run into Canada. You can get to Bedwell to clear customs that same day but we choose to go the next as it is a short hop across to clear customs from Stuart. Clearing customs has always been a short process for us, 15 minutes including a restroom stop for crew members. Then, we go to either Nanaimo or Telegraph harbor to catch the right tide thru Dodd Narrows.

It all depends on how far north you'd like to go but remember there is a lot of nice places to go in the Gulf Islands. We prefer the no schedule schedule when cruising. We are both retired teachers now and completely understand your academic schedule.
Hey Keith,

You are nearly a neighbor.

It is a long run to Anacortes, but it does get you very far North via a protected route. Where do you like to stay in Anacortes? In all the years I have been boating, I have never sailed to Anacortes.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Dave, yes Gig Harbor is in our neighborhood and we often go there for a day trip. In Anacortes we stay in Cap Sante marina. Nice clean facilities and not much current to deal with. Close to walking anywhere in town for supplies etc. it is a long day but it puts us on the edge of the San Juans pretty quickly.

Keith
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #28

City: Benicia CA
If your goal is Desolation Sound and you only have 2 weeks, you won't have time to dilly dally in the Gulf Islands. Get there as fast (and safely) as you can. Save the Gulf Islands for another 2 week trip some other time.

I've had to do in 2 weeks as well a couple of times. Day 1 Prevost if you can, Day 2 Bedwell and minimum Nanaimo or Silva Bay, but hopefully the 70 miles or so to Pender Harbour, Day 3 Desolation Sound! Long days, but worth it as you'll have a fair amount of time where you want to be!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
There are so many places to go that you can't go wrong in your selection of ports and towns. The only risk I see is you turning it into more of a delivery trip than pleasure trip. Don't make a destination that creates too many long days. Here's one of our recent patterns of hours per day.

Here's what our pattern was for our Alaska Cruise

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #30
Guru

On a 14 day trip, I would target 56 hours of cruising. That's an average of 4 per day. So often an 8 hour day, then spend a day. Anything over 70 and it starts to feel not so much like a relaxing trip. In 2015 we cruised 1007 hours. That's an average of 2.75 hours per calendar day. We were actually on cruises 264 days. So during our cruising time we averaged 3.8 hours per day. When you're just doing one trip it's fine to boost that up a bit, even to 5 hours per day. Just try to keep a balance. Assuming you're cruising at 8 knots (I don't recall your speed) then 4 hours a day allows you to cover 448 nm and 5 hours per day gets you 560 nm.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #31
Guru

I would be very interested in how many hours per day of movement others average when cruising. Simply total days (whether moving or not) divided by engine hours.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
Neither of us are fond of crowds.
That's why I scratch my head about Desolation Sound on the July long weekend. Especially if you have to beat yourselves up to fulfill a plan.

The recurring sentiments through 30 posts are; take it easy, no fixed destination limit the long days, enjoy the views to port and starboard. You have a bunch of years with that boat to get to the promised land.

Dave, there are so many places between Sucia and Savary. Places you won't think of until you see them going by or need to stop for a new bean grinder. If you swim, you could easily spend an unplanned afternoon week day in Buccaneer Bay.

Stick your snout into Pirates Cove...

If you end up in Prideaux Haven, after some fun gunkholing, it's a bonus.

And don't forget about area WG.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would be very interested in how many hours per day of movement others average when cruising. Simply total days (whether moving or not) divided by engine hours.
That is a great question.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Take some brainy statistician to sort that out and even then not get it right.

Average over what time frame?
How do you compare FL to AK?
Mark Pierce to GFC?
2 boats, same 2 week holiday could be vastly different

Speed alone could ruin any such study.
I used to hang around all day Sunday, leave at 1600, get home by 1730 and still beat the Grand Mariners and Coopers that had to eat their breakfast on the run.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:

...you could provision at Westview, say "Hi" to the Spy and still do Desolation ahead of the crush...
Might not be around just then due to "wedding season", but I will gladly offer help to any visiting TF member, when I'm in town.

For the record, you can order groceries online from Quality Foods (they deliver too), we have by far the best water around, and "Son of Spy" works at the harbour, so you are guaranteed good service.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Take some brainy statistician to sort that out and even then not get it right.

Average over what time frame?
How do you compare FL to AK?
Mark Pierce to GFC?
2 boats, same 2 week holiday could be vastly different

Speed alone could ruin any such study.
I used to hang around all day Sunday, leave at 1600, get home by 1730 and still beat the Grand Mariners and Coopers that had to eat their breakfast on the run.
Well, tried poll but either I didn't write instructions well or people not reading them well.

As to all the variables, obviously they exist. However, I think there would be more of a pattern in average hours per day than miles. We just think that if on a 14 day trip you cruise 100 hours of that time, you really don't have time to enjoy the towns along the way.

When we've had long runs like Alaska, they've been offset by staying still for a few days. We get more miles than others here because of speed. However, we don't try to cover so much ground as to miss what there is along the way. On the other hand we don't spend two weeks at places we can easily get back to. We leave more for next time. We did have extended stays in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego because it was our first time and will be years before we get back.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gfc?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy;
..we have by far the best water around..
Does Okeover Arm see many summer boats and have you been in Narrows Inlet in recent years?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
That's why I scratch my head about Desolation Sound on the July long weekend. Especially if you have to beat yourselves up to fulfill a plan.

The recurring sentiments through 30 posts are; take it easy, no fixed destination limit the long days, enjoy the views to port and starboard. You have a bunch of years with that boat to get to the promised land.

Dave, there are so many places between Sucia and Savary. Places you won't think of until you see them going by or need to stop for a new bean grinder. If you swim, you could easily spend an unplanned afternoon week day in Buccaneer Bay.

Stick your snout into Pirates Cove...

If you end up in Prideaux Haven, after some fun gunkholing, it's a bonus.

And don't forget about area WG.
WG?

Yeah, I am really listening to all the great advice and taking to heart the "relax and enjoy" admonitions.

We just ironed out our time frame. I couldn't talk my wife out of skipping the wedding, so we will leave on July 24th and will plan on being back on August 6th with 2 days of cushion since I won't be back in the office until the 9th. This puts us later in the season than I would like, but at the same time the weather should be decent.

I need to take an inventory of cruising guides that I have for the area, then I will search the past threads for recommendations. I know I have seen plenty of those threads.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Might not be around just then due to "wedding season", but I will gladly offer help to any visiting TF member, when I'm in town.

For the record, you can order groceries online from Quality Foods (they deliver too), we have by far the best water around, and "Son of Spy" works at the harbour, so you are guaranteed good service.
All of that is good to know!

Dave
SPOT page