Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #281
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Thanks for the heads up. Uncharacteristically, I haven't planned ahead at all. I hadn't even looked at the currents for Dodd yet. But sounds like it will work great for us. We should be able to coach the tail end of the ebb at a decent time in the morning. Then I just need to see where my wife wants to go once we are through.
We will be heading north though Dodd tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for you. We are on an Elite 32' (sail).

alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #282
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesnloggers View Post
We will be heading north though Dodd tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for you. We are on an Elite 32' (sail).

Yes do! If you see an off-white NP 43 with a red kayak on the port side and a yellow kayak on Stb, give us a hail.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #283
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
I was thinking of sneaking between Ada Islands and Southey Is. It looks like a reasonably clear shot.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with either side of Ada but I will leave you on your own with that decision. You know you and your boat better than anyone.

Only thing I will add is; with a 13' tide range, you will be in a pretty decent flood through there by the time you arrive.

Completely your call cap'n.

-------------------------------

After Nanaimo, if you are not into anchoring, Telegraph Harbour is a pretty relaxing spot without any resorty atmosphere.
Telegraph Harbour Marina Resort
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #284
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Dave-when you get to Nanaimo, make sure to stop and say Hi to Sunchaser if they are still there. Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of a cup of coffee with them as they were passing through Seattle. Very nice folks who will be happy to greet you.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #285
Guru

I will keep an eye out for them. De fever 48 iirc. We aren't sure where we will find moorage for tonight. Thought we would either try the Nanaimo Port Authority or the reciprocal docks at Nanaimo YC.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #286
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Dave-when you get to Nanaimo, make sure to stop and say Hi to Sunchaser if they are still there. Very nice folks who will be happy to greet you.
Completely agree but it looks like they are on the other side now at Pender Harbour.

Dave, you might find a mooring or hook it in the harbour between Newcastle and Protection Islands. Good exploring ashore from there even though it's not for me in August.

Hey, maybe ASDs naked night swimmer might entertain.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #287
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Completely agree but it looks like they are on the other side now at Pender Harbour.

Dave, you might find a mooring or hook it in the harbour between Newcastle and Protection Islands. Good exploring ashore from there even though it's not for me in August.

Hey, maybe ASDs naked night swimmer might entertain.

Do they have AIS? I did a search but didn't find them. Maybe my search skills just fail...

I think my wife would like to explore the waterfront of Nanaimo, so I would like to fine a dock for the night. Hopefully all the locals are heading back home after the 3-day weekend.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #288
Guru

Quote:
Do they have AIS? I did a search but didn't find them. Maybe my search skills just fail...

I think my wife would like to explore the waterfront of Nanaimo, so I would like to fine a dock for the night. Hopefully all the locals are heading back home after the 3-day weekend.
Sunchaser has AIS and I'm only guessing that's him in Pender Harbour. Logical enough move from where he was in Nanaimo.

You should be good to find dockage somewhere.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #289
Guru

Off your port bow, Ballenas Island. Another light and weather as is Merry Island which you mentioned last week.

Ballenas...
During July of 1791, Spanish explorer Josť MarŪa NarvŠez, at the age of just twenty-three, led the first European exploration of the Strait of Georgia as commander of the schooner Santa Saturnina. While offshore from present-day Parksville, NarvŠez encountered a pod of whales near a pair of islands, which he immediately named Islas de las Ballenas (Whale Islands). The sighting of the whales convinced NarvŠez that the Strait of Georgia must have a second connection to the ocean besides the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #290
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Yup, Sunchaser is in Pender Harbour. No way to avoid HW's sharp eye. Headed further north Tuesday AM, likely Powell River.. No agenda other than avoiding crowds in Desolating Sound. And a wonderful dinner at Dent Island Lodge later in week.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #291
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yup, Sunchaser is in Pender Harbour. No way to avoid HW's sharp eye. Headed further north Tuesday AM, likely Powell River.. No agenda other than avoiding crowds in Desolating Sound. And a wonderful dinner at Dent Island Lodge later in week.

We had a couple great meals in Powell River. The Coastal Cookery last week then the Tree Frog bistro this week. Both are within walking distance of the marina.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #292
Guru

I am sitting in the cockpit (covered cockpit) watching a thunderstorm here in Nanaimo. The Nanaimo Port Authority was full up so we called the NYC and the nice caretaker found a spot for us. I really appreciate the YCs like NYC that go out of their way to help reciprocal club members. It is about a mile from where my wife wanted to explore a bit so we got a nice walk in last night.

As we were on the docks heading to our boat "alesnloggers" stopped us and asked if I was "Dhays". I must have been wearing my "old guy-former sailor-American tourist" sign I guess. It was very nice to meet Dave. As has been the case, a super nice and friendly guy. Of course Dave has the advantage of both being a Canadian and a sailor. Hard to beat that combo for niceness. I had to cut our chat short because after two Long Island Ice teas with dinner, my wife really needed to use the head. Dave and his girlfriend are going to spend a few days of R and R on their sailboat.

Now it is time to leave the dock and head for Dodd Narrows and then figure out where to go from there. I get silly excited when I can sit in the PH and use the windshield wipers. It is still a novelty.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #293
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

Now it is time to leave the dock and head for Dodd Narrows and then figure out where to go from there. I get silly excited when I can sit in the PH and use the windshield wipers. It is still a novelty.
It's at that point that powerboating seems very nice. That's one of the many things you made the move for.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #294
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
It was nice meeting the two of you also.
Definitely a good day to be driving from inside. I'll be donning my foul weather gear soon and heading north.
Safe travels.
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #295
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesnloggers View Post
It was nice meeting the two of you also.
Definitely a good day to be driving from inside. I'll be donning my foul weather gear soon and heading north.
Safe travels.

You as well. I hope the weather clears up for you.

We wine through Dodd and decided to stop in North Cove on Thetis. We can watch the boats go by and should have good protection from the South wind that is in the forecast. We are also the only boat here and it is nice to have some seclusion for a change.

BTW, my Mom mentioned that the last time she and my Dad went through Dodd Narrows they went through North bound under sail flying a spinnaker. He was a bit crazy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #296
Guru

I have been anchored in North Cove for about 6 hours, enjoying the periodic rain and the sounds coming from shore from the youth camp. I enjoy listening to children playing.

We set our anchor in just under 15 feet of water at low tide. I set it well and put out 100' of chain since we would have about 25' of water when the tide was high. I also dropped an anchor buoy. Well after all afternoon. That buoy is sitting 2 feet from my bow. I think I could have dropped a pot on a string and I wouldn't have moved anymore.

Large anchorage, yet a 32' dropped their anchor about 75' from me. If we get a wind tonight it could get messy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2016, 12:57 AM   #297

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:

Large anchorage, yet a 32' dropped their anchor about 75' from me. If we get a wind tonight it could get messy.

Only if they put out the typical 7 to 1 scope... and it only gets interesting around 1AM
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #298
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave:

Will you be stopping in at Wallace Is?

Princess is one of my favorite spots. In 1988, I was there for the dedication of the new Marine Park On July 1 that year I took a picture that I had on my office wall till it faded to light blue. I went back another July 1 and replaced it. when that one faded, it too was replaced. By then we had our house across on Saltspring, so didn't need to take our boat there, but love the spot, so of course we still go there regularly. I still keep a current July 1 sunset from that most photogenic spot in the gulf Islands.

Keith
Old 08-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #299
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave:

Will you be stopping in at Wallace Is?

Princess is one of my favorite spots. In 1988, I was there for the dedication of the new Marine Park On July 1 that year I took a picture that I had on my office wall till it faded to light blue. I went back another July 1 and replaced it. when that one faded, it too was replaced. By then we had our house across on Saltspring, so didn't need to take our boat there, but love the spot, so of course we still go there regularly. I still keep a current July 1 sunset from that most photogenic spot in the gulf Islands.

Keith

I don't think so. My wife informed me that she wants to go to Ganges. I am not sure why. So it looks like we will go to Ganges tomorrow, then clear US customs at either Roche or Friday Harbor on Thursday, spending the night somewhere. Then cross the straits on Friday am and get to Gig Harbor Saturday.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #300
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave:

I see you are on the move again. If you leave Norway Is and Jackscrew Is to port, I will see you pass my house in about an hour.

There is a Nav mark on the shore about 150 m NW of my house. Also a Catalina 22 on a mooring bouy 200' NW of my mooring bouy out front.

Keith