Old 07-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #261
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Had the opportunity to meet David and his family last night. Nice folks who seem like they're having great time. They sure picked the right weather window! Just saw them leave out of the telescope. Beautiful flat day to cross if that's what they're doing.

Nice when you can put faces to names along the way.
A good Malaspina July noon sea. Looks like Nanaimo bound maybe.

Safe travels Dave.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #262
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Yup. Karen decided that she wanted to go to Nanaimo (sorry HW). Since the weather was so good today we decided to take advantage and cross to Comox for tonight. Absolutely beautiful out here, calm water and little wind. The current is helping us along as well. Hopefully Comox won't be too full on this holiday weekend.

It was nice meeting Northern Spy in person. My family were impressed. I think they would have swapped him for me. My daughter said that he reminded her of some of my cousins.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #263
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yup. Karen decided that she wanted to go to Nanaimo (sorry HW). Hopefully Comox won't be too full on this holiday weekend.
Haha...
No need for apologies to me. It's your boat, your wife and I know there's no Walmart in Jervis Inlet.

Sent you a PM with some numbers for alternate moorage in case Comox is full which I doubt it is.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #264
Guru

Thanks HW.

BTW, just heard "Touch of Grey" hailing on 16. Wonder if it is Bruce up here on vacation?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #265
Guru

Quote:
Thanks HW.

BTW, just heard "Touch of Grey" hailing on 16. Wonder if it is Bruce up here on vacation?
I saw Touch of Grey was up, I think, around Von Donop and suchaser was on the hook at Nanaimo.

Just looked, there is a Touch of Grey near Twin Islands maybe headed for DS. Surprising how many there are with the same name though.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #266
Guru

That was an amazingly easy and quick crossing we just had. Almost beat the kids on the ferry.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #267
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave is on the move, Heading for Nanaimo.

Dave: What has been decided for the coming week?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #268
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
As someone who is currently without a vessel, I just want to say thanks for bringing us all along! I really miss this kind of adventure. Can't wait to get back to it. Safe travels, Dave.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #269
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave is on the move, Heading for Nanaimo.
Dave: What has been decided for the coming week?
I worried he might get lost last night, between the Blackfin and John's, in the big city of Comox but I guess he did ok.

Looks like a great day for a leisurely cruise down that side of the Strait, moving along nicely with the ebb for a good chunk of it.

I hope he can gunkhole a bit after Baynes Sound, down past Qualicum and Parksville, to see some nice sites before heading out into Ballenas Channel.

Dave, as with most of the Island, there is a lot of history in those small towns you are seeing.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #270
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
As someone who is currently without a vessel, I just want to say thanks for bringing us all along! I really miss this kind of adventure. Can't wait to get back to it. Safe travels, Dave.
Completely agree, Dave and it is especially nice to go along in familiar territory, understanding what they are seeing.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #271
Guru

Need advice for first longer cruise.

We had a great dinner at Black Fin early in the evening after spending lots of tourist dollars at the outdoor fair there at the park next to the marina.

I woke up at 5:00am, and not able to sleep, I looked at the charts to figure out how to get to Nanaimo. Turns out it is farther than I had thought so I left my wife sleeping and took off.

Beautiful morning. I also had a new experience. Across Baynes Sound there is a ferry. On either side I could see either a red or green light a that changed periodically. As I was about to get to the ferry dock on the Denman Island side the light turned red. Fortunately at that point I could just read the sign under the light through the binoculars. I immediately powered back just as the ferry announced over channel 16 that Barnes Sound Connect is a cable ferry. I drifted in placed while the ferry crossed and made sure I waited for the lights to change to green before proceeding. So that is what the boat and dotted lines mean on the chart!

Anyway, the wife wants to go to Nanaimo, so that is where we will be tonight. I have no plans other than to work my way South. Maybe stop in Sidney?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #272
Guru

The water in Barnes Sound is glass smooth. The sky is clear with some cumulus over the mountains of Vancouver Island. It is warm, but not hot. Almost no boat traffic. My wife just mentioned that this is one of the nicest days we have had. Personally, I think she is just enjoying the piece and quiet with the kids being gone.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #273
Guru

We met another NP 43 owner last night. He has a 2011 that he bought new. It was interesting to see the small changes between our boats. Some features had been added for 2011 and he had selected some options that my boats original owner didn't. Being a 2011, he also had the more recent version of the RM electronics package where mine was the last model year for the older series.

He is still very happy with his boat after 5 years.

One of my purchases in Comox was a knife from one of the vendors out of Nanaimo. It is a nice clasp knife with a lovely wood work surrounding the SS frame. Turns out he lives aboard a Catalina 445 which was dock near us. The 445 is, in my opinion, one of the best production sailboats of its type available today. Great design, fantastic attention to detail, and has developed a reputation as a fast boat. His was the first 445 on the Canadian West coast. When I bought my used Catalina 400 in 2010, I looked through one of the first 445s delivered to the West Coat at a dealer in Marina del Rey. If I could have afforded a new boat, I would have bought one.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #274
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave:

You are on the final day of the August long weekend, so should see the number of boats diminish slightly as the weekend warriers return home. Yesterday I was over to Montague Harbour and saw the highest concentration of boats there ever, with about 20 overflowing to the NW side of the park. Likewise, from my house I can see into Conover Cove and to the overflow anchorage at the NW end of Princess, both on Wallace Island, where similarly the overflow has been full for a week or so. Other Gulf Island anchorages have likely been just as full. By the time you are passing through, these anchorages should all have some room, especially if you can arrive around noon, when the leaving boats are gone and you become one of the first to arrive.

Tomorrow, Dodd turns to flood at 10:21 PST so you don't need to get up real early, but should plan to get through before that turning, as the max flood is 7.8 knots, which could present a challenge. Max ebb of 6.8 is at 07:09 AM, so any time after that will give you a good push south. Dodd is much better behaved in the ebb, southerly, direction, so little excitement, just a good, solid push.

I echo others, with thanks for allowing us to ride along.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #275
Guru

That cable ferry is relatively new and a brainchild only a politician could conceive. I'll leave it at that.

While sitting in Nanaimo, have a good look at the islands and anchorages south of Dodd and refer to the lists posted in the "Gulf Islands" thread. Be a shame if you went right by spots like Annette Cove, pictured.

If you come down Sansum, Genoa Bay and Cowichan should be considerations. If for no other reasons that the eateries.

Thursday evenings in Sidney are fun with a vibrant street market.

I don't like intruding on folks in the marina so, if you drop by, you have my number...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annetteinside.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	54781  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #276
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post

Tomorrow, Dodd turns to flood at 10:21 PST so you don't need to get up real early, but should plan to get through before that turning, as the max flood is 7.8 knots, which could present a challenge. Max ebb of 6.8 is at 07:09 AM, so any time after that will give you a good push south. Dodd is much better behaved in the ebb, southerly, direction, so little excitement, just a good, solid push.

I echo others, with thanks for allowing us to ride along.

Thanks for the heads up. Uncharacteristically, I haven't planned ahead at all. I hadn't even looked at the currents for Dodd yet. But sounds like it will work great for us. We should be able to coach the tail end of the ebb at a decent time in the morning. Then I just need to see where my wife wants to go once we are through.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #277
Guru

What can you tell me about Chrome I?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470070932.115945.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	54782

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #278
Guru

Quote:
Then I just need to see where my wife wants to go once we are through.
Again, depending which side of Saltspring Island you take, if you end up in Satellite Channel, Tod Inlet and Butchart Gardens is not far (10nm) out of the way if she has never been.
The Butchart Gardens | Victoria BC Attractions | National Historic Site of Canada
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #279
Guru

Quote:
What can you tell me about Chrome I?
Attachment 54782
That question makes me realize how we take things for granted. To me it's just always been there.

It is a typical BC coast light (and weather) station established in the late 1800s, has signs of earlier indigenous life and is, to my knowledge one of only a few still manned.

Sorry, that's all I can give you.

By the way, when you get down around Winchelsea Islands, if you choose to go outside, don't forget about Area Whiskey Gulf.

Just curious, what's your speed?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #280
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
That question makes me realize how we take things for granted. To me it's just always been there.

It is a typical BC coast light (and weather) station established in the late 1800s, has signs of earlier indigenous life and is, to my knowledge one of only a few still manned.

Sorry, that's all I can give you.

By the way, when you get down around Winchelsea Islands, if you choose to go outside, don't forget about Area Whiskey Gulf.

Just curious, what's your speed?

It is a very cool looking facility.

I was thinking of sneaking between Ada Islands and Southey Is. It looks like a reasonably clear shot. WG is inactive today. Current SOG is 6.4 kt. Glad you asked. I must have bumped my throttle as my rpm was only 1340. Now that it is back to 1400 I am going 6.6 kt. My boat has been running slower than normal this trip. I am thinking a dirty bottom. I don't think my diver got to me before we left.

Dave
SPOT page