Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
You see Ascente in there?

She must take up a lot of real estate.

Yes, if I recall she was tucked into the end of the Eveleigh anchorage. While my daughter and I were kayaking there we saw a float plane land and I think deliver some guests. The most interesting boat was the Malibu, a 101' woody from Seattle. They have a sign hanging on the sign with basic information as to year built, builder, designer, and the fact that it is privately owned and NOT for charter. I am sure that the sign has cut down on the number of unwanted questions.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #222
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Malibu is a frequent visitor to Prideaux. She is one of the largest to anchor inside. Anything the size of Ascente or larger usually anchors outside. That may be due to the constant air traffic to the big guys.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #223
Guru

I was amazed. My 43' boat isn't huge, but in my little marina there aren't that many that are much larger. Not so in Prideaux Haven. It was filled with what I would consider huge boats.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #224
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yes, if I recall she was tucked into the end of the Eveleigh anchorage. While my daughter and I were kayaking there we saw a float plane land and I think deliver some guests. The most interesting boat was the Malibu, a 101' woody from Seattle. They have a sign hanging on the sign with basic information as to year built, builder, designer, and the fact that it is privately owned and NOT for charter. I am sure that the sign has cut down on the number of unwanted questions.
I hope the youngsters with their PWCs from Ascente don't harass you too much but I guess you are leaving before the weekend. Owner's name is Steve if you need to call him on behavior.

I noticed Malibu was up there. Like so many of the real old timers on our coast she has a storied past. As were many, she was conscripted in WWII. Not sure if she got the standard paint job of the day. She also ran up on a San Juan reef about a dozen years ago. Sound familiar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malibu.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	54648  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #225
Guru

Tonight we ended up in Squirrel cove after a late afternoon decision to pick up and leave Laura Cove. This is one very crowded anchorage. Tried to squeeze in a stern tie in one location but the kids were utterly failing at getting the stern tie set so I called them off and headed to the opposite side and did a stern tie there.

A 20 minute dinghy ride this evening to the Squirrel Cove store got me some rum so I am now sitting in my Pilothouse, listening to some great music, sipping a rum and coke, and listening to the kids play a board game at the galley table. (Kids of course are my 27 year old daughter and her husband and my 25 year old son.). The sky has that deep blue color you get on a clear night an hour after the sun has set, silhouetting the black profile of the surrounding mountains.

Yes WifeyB, I am having fun.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #226
Guru

Quote:
This is one very crowded anchorage. Tried to squeeze in a stern tie in one location but the kids were utterly failing at getting the stern tie set so I called them off and headed to the opposite side and did a stern tie there.
If you need a spare anchor, there is every brand and size you could ever want on the bottom of Squirrel Cove. Have another rum.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #227
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
If you need a spare anchor, there is every brand and size you could ever want on the bottom of Squirrel Cove. Have another rum.

Yeah, that is a concern as I have heard that reputation. My understanding is that due to the history of squirrel cove there is a lot logging trash on the bottom. I retrieved the anchor without difficulty the first time. Hopefully will do OK on the second.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 12:47 AM   #228
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, that is a concern as I have heard that reputation. My understanding is that due to the history of squirrel cove there is a lot logging trash on the bottom. I retrieved the anchor without difficulty the first time. Hopefully will do OK on the second.
Cables mostly. More over by the lagoon side.

Looks like Refuge and Malaspina Inlet are quieter if you want to do a moonlight waltz.

Have another rum.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #229
Guru

Not sure what we will do today. Tonight will be our last night in the DS area. I thought today that we could check out the lagoon in Squirrel Cove this morning, low tide is at around 9:00am. Let the kids see/play in the tidal Rapids, then maybe head over to Refuge Cove for some tourist shopping, then spend the afternoon somewhere for some swimming.

My wife may even want to head back to Prideaux and go deep into Melanie Cove. But there is always Teakerne Arm or Malispina that seems like they might be fun to explore. Too many places and too few days.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #230
Guru

Morning Dave.
Can't help you with deciding where to go. It will be nuts everywhere and will get worse as the day moves on. Just like camping.

I'd guess Malaspina/Okeover would be the least busy.

I'm sure you know of the "trail" to Von Donop.

Just curious;
AIS shows 10 boats in Squirrel Cove this morning and I'm wondering how many there really are. 60? 70? More?

Also, many Canadians? I doubt it.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #231
Guru

Need advice for first longer cruise.

I don't know about Von Donop trail.

Sitting here at anchor I can count 67 boats not counting myself. There are some parts of the anchorage that I can't see from here, particularly as it is low tide and the small islands are too high to see over at the moment. So your guess is right on.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #232
Guru

Quote:
I don't know about Von Donop trail.
Von Donop is another hugely popular spot just over the hump from you. There is a rugged trail/skid road connecting the two. If I remember, the Squirrel Cove end is near the store. Check your books on Von Donop for when you come back in Sept.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #233
Guru

My view of Squirrel Cove.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469808718.771055.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	54675

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #234

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
After our visit to Squirrel Cove in June, my wife now refers to it as Mosquito Cove.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #235
Guru

Yeah, the mosquitoes weren't that bad there. They were a lot worse for us in Pendrell Sound. I think a lot spends on the wind. A slight breeze will tend to keep the mosquitoes down but we had very little when we were in Pendrell.

I am one of those folks that attracts mosquitoes. I am the person that you want with you when you are outdoors in mosquito areas. They will ignore you and aim for me.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #236
Guru

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469852044.229405.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	54706
Looking out towards the entrance of Melanie Cove and Prideaux Haven. My wife keeps saying how much she likes it here and in Laura Cove. She wants to come back.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #237
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Attachment 54706
Looking out towards the entrance of Melanie Cove and Prideaux Haven. My wife keeps saying how much she likes it here and in Laura Cove. She wants to come back.
That location is exactly where we were in Melanie Cove- just lovely.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:24 AM   #238
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Ted-is the Aurora the 120' Nordy that the owner converted to diesel-electric a few years ago? I met someone who worked on that project and the owner spent major, major bucks to do the conversion.

The Malib must have just gotten up there, We went through the Locks with her about 9-10 days ago. She is a beautiful boat!

Dave-haven't posted anything, but have been avidly following your trip, sure sounds like it is turning out to be everything you hopped for. Keep up the great time!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #239
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Attachment 54706

Looks like you are having a great first long trip! That's wonderful that your wife is taking to it and wants to come back for more.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #240
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Attachment 54706
You wife has extremely good taste, Laura Cove and Melanie Cove are two of our special places. Along with Roscoe Bay, always with a hike to Black Lake and Tenedos Bay and another hike to Unwin Lake along with its great creek.

Looks like you anchored in our favorite spot in Melanie Cove, here is a photo from our last trip. Following along with you has brought back some great memories, have a great trip and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Melanie.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	54714  

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote