Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #201
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,875
Hawg:

Ya, that's the other reason I go there.

He will respond when he leaves, and I won't have forgotten to ask.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #202
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
Hi folks. For the two guys still reading this... As you likely know we are now in Laura Cove next to Prideaux Haven. Small fish are jumping like crazy around the huge number of boats wedged into this tiny anchorage. It is truly beautiful. Initially, I was thinking we would hang out for a couple of days in Pendrell and enjoy the warm water. The kids decided that they would like to explore more, and the mosquitoes were thicker in Pendrell so we moved on today. The water was pretty warm on Pendrell but I don't have a thermometer for water temps. I think it was warmer than Roscoe Bay, which was ridiculously warm as it was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469647553.114532.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	54613
This was where we were stern tied in Pendrell. I am new to this and realized that I was a lot closer to shore than the other boats around me. We had enough water underneath us and likely a lot more rode than the others as well. I had 150' out in 40' of water. Of course 40' was average, the tidal change was a good 12 feet I think. Could have jumped to shore at low tied.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #203
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
We timed our arrival in Laura Cove just right. There were a string of boats leaving and we beat a good half dozen who arrived after us. Provided plenty of entertainment to an older coupe who watched my third attempt at a stern tie.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469647879.359279.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	54614
This is the view our my Stb PH window. Lots of boats.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469647988.974853.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	54615
This is the stern tie today at Laura Cove.

BTW, I changed my anchor bridle and so far am happy with it. I use a dynema shockle around the chain to give an attachment point for two 1/2" three strand dock lines that are attached with dynema shackle. The bridle is backed up with a chain snubber. Last night we had a pretty good breeze hitting us from the side and the ground tackle held very well despite being pulled sideways and not as much scope as I would like.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #204
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
OK, we will try and take your advice and make it to Refuge Cove and check out the books. I would be happy to just stay here for another day but I will go where the crew wants. We may need to pump out the hi,ding tank soon so Refuge Cove would be a good idea anyway. 50 gallon black water tank is a lot, but we have 5 adults on board so it does fill up.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #205
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
OK, we will try and take your advice and make it to Refuge Cove and check out the books. I would be happy to just stay here for another day but I will go where the crew wants. We may need to pump out the hi,ding tank soon so Refuge Cove would be a good idea anyway. 50 gallon black water tank is a lot, but we have 5 adults on board so it does fill up.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #206
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
I feel bad about the thread hijack in the thread about the gulf islands. So Tim and Keith's suggestions on Jervis inlet I want to look at here.

Hotham Sound sounds good HW and your point about not being up this way often is well taken. Given the amount of time we will have (i.e., not enough) I had decided to not go up to Princess Louisa. Someday I would like to, even though I have seen it before. I have a connection with Malibu so it would be nice to revisit. Not this trip however.

So, what would you suggest for 2-3 nights in the Hotham Sound or Sechelt Inlet area?
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #207
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,930
Wifey B: Ok, dhays. Enough boat talk kind of stuff and holding tanks and where to go, I want to know one thing....only one....see, I don't ask for much.

Are you guys having fun fun fun as in fun fun fun till your daddy takes the t-bird away....lots and tons and bucket loads of fun? Are you and

Is it what you hoped for? Happy with your new form of boating? Lots of smiles and family and community and life and did I mention....fun.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #208
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I feel bad about the thread hijack in the thread about the gulf islands. So Tim and Keith's suggestions on Jervis inlet I want to look at here.

Hotham Sound sounds good HW and your point about not being up this way often is well taken. Given the amount of time we will have (i.e., not enough) I had decided to not go up to Princess Louisa. Someday I would like to, even though I have seen it before. I have a connection with Malibu so it would be nice to revisit. Not this trip however.

So, what would you suggest for 2-3 nights in the Hotham Sound or Sechelt Inlet area?
You pick.

Dave; don't feel bad about the other thread, it's all just good general information for anyone thinking of the "south" coast and Gulf Islands.

From me, Keith may think differently, you are what, 3 hours from Westview to Hardy Island and Musket Island Marine Park. Good dinghy or kayak exploring from there. Twisted Tree was in there not long ago so might give a current status of the park, aquaculture etc.

The entire area between Hardy and Nelson (Blind Bay) is cool. Telescope Passage is a neat squeeze and I have no qualms about you taking it.

If you want to bypass Hardy and go north (east?) around Scotch Fir then Hotham is another hour or so. Harmony Islands is the go to spot but there are others if you watch depth and bottom makeup.

Hotham or Blind Bay are a short run to Egmont and the rapids. Inside you can explore Narrows and Salmon Inlets, with an eye to Storm Bay.

If you plan on Sechelt Inlet, do your homework, 1, 2, 3 times if necessary, on slack at the rapids. Get in and go anywhere, really.

By the way, if you want a big Spring for dinner, Scotch Fir is the place.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #209
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Ok, dhays. Enough boat talk kind of stuff and holding tanks and where to go, I want to know one thing....only one....see, I don't ask for much.



Are you guys having fun fun fun as in fun fun fun till your daddy takes the t-bird away....lots and tons and bucket loads of fun? Are you and



Is it what you hoped for? Happy with your new form of boating? Lots of smiles and family and community and life and did I mention....fun.

Yes!

Yesterday the kids and I took the dinghy and explored a number of great swimming spots. For the kids, this meant rocks that you can jump off and into the water yet still find a way to climb back up without slicing your body on the oyster shells. My son, who is easily bored as only an immature 25 year old can be, kept saying that this was the best place ever.

We have 5 large adults on board. We have food, we have (for the most part) refrigeration, we have great views. We can be outside when we want and we can be inside when we want. We can be inside enjoying the shade yet still see the wonderful views outside.

I am a process kind of guy. For me relaxation is doing stuff, thinking about doing stuff, or planning on how I am going to do the stuff that I was thinking about. There are enough boat systems and navigation questions to keep me happy. Not as many lines and rigging to tend to, but I am getting by.

"Fun" for my wife is reading, playing games, taking a dip in this incredibly warm water, and taking lots of naps. She often comments that my "fun" doesn't look like "fun" to her. But it certainly is relaxing for me which I count as "fun".
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #210
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
My son, who is easily bored as only an immature 25 year old can be, kept saying that this was the best place ever.
What? No Prideaux Pokémon?

Son of Dave; meet Sam.
Living Aboard: Two Years In - Waggoner Cruising Guide
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #211
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
What? No Prideaux Pokémon?

Son of Dave; meet Sam.
Living Aboard: Two Years In - Waggoner Cruising Guide

I just asked my son if there were any Pokemon here and he didn't know because he hadn't checked. However we did just spend 30 minutes discussing the mechanics of that game.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #212
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I just asked my son if there were any Pokemon here and he didn't know because he hadn't checked. However we did just spend 30 minutes discussing the mechanics of that game.
Wifey B: Just so glad to read how much fun everyone is having. We sometimes don't talk about fun enough here and isn't that really what this is all about? Trips like the one you're on are affirmation you made a great decision in the boat. There are days when it really hits. When you just want to smile, not about one specific thing but all of it. We work hard for the payoff and trips like the one you're on are the payoff.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #213
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We sometimes don't talk about fun enough here and isn't that really what this is all about?
I don't want to drag this "west coast" thread all the way to the Atlantic but... almost every thread on here is about fun because it involves doing what we love. Heads n halibut, anchors n abalone...
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #214
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I don't want to drag this "west coast" thread all the way to the Atlantic but... almost every thread on here is about fun because it involves doing what we love. Heads n halibut, anchors n abalone...
Wifey B: It's about what we love but it's not often about the reasons we love it or the parts we love. Just look at today's threads and you'll see. Financing, Fumigation, Anchoring, Reservations, etc. This thread is so refreshingly good. And even better when he talked about his family and their enjoyment and not just about the places. Boating to us is about being on the water and the places we visit, but it's highlights are those we do it with.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #215
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: It's about what we love but it's not often about the reasons we love it or the parts we love. Just look at today's threads and you'll see. Financing, Fumigation, Anchoring, Reservations, etc. This thread is so refreshingly good. And even better when he talked about his family and their enjoyment and not just about the places. Boating to us is about being on the water and the places we visit, but it's highlights are those we do it with.

My wife and I just got back from a dinghy tour of the Prideaux Haven area. Looked at lots of interesting boats. My wife made the point that while our boat is larger than what just the two of us need, and that it will be nice in a way when the kids leave us again, we really appreciate the boat choice we made because we do want to include family as much as possible.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #216
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My wife and I just got back from a dinghy tour of the Prideaux Haven area. Looked at lots of interesting boats.
You see Ascente in there?

She must take up a lot of real estate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascente.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	54644  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #217
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 547
Don't know about that one Hawgwash but I did see the Aurora just South of
Port Neville last evening.
Sorry no pictures. I had my hands full with 25 to 30 knots of Westerly and a
following sea.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #218
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Sorry no pictures. I had my hands full with 25 to 30 knots of Westerly and a following sea.
Ted, Hi!
As I read it I anticipated a 25 to 30 pounder.
Busy where you are?

Ascente at 112' is set up to single hand.
Poor guy.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #219
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 547
Hi
Not too busy here.
Was up in Sointula to haul the boat.
If it's going to be "uncomfortable", it'll will likely be that Port Neville - Kelsey Bay
area.
The Aurora is that 120' Nordhavn from Vancouver, it angled right across toward the
Vancouver Island side of the Strait. I had to change course before he did.
Was "rolling along" with the autopilot off.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #220
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My wife made the point that while our boat is larger than what just the two of us need, and that it will be nice in a way when the kids leave us again, we really appreciate the boat choice we made because we do want to include family as much as possible.
It's a reason we're doing the loop on the size boat we are. We love having the others who are with us and those who have joined us for different parts of the trip. We didn't need the space for us. But right now we have eight on board. We do our alone boating when we're home and not cruising and then just go out by ourselves for a day or a few days.

We spent a lot of our life where it was mostly just the two of us. Now that somehow we've ended up with an extended family of friends, we truly love having them with us. Maybe one day we'll seek more time with just the two of us, but that day isn't here yet.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012