Namu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Marin has thrown down the gauntlet with the Butedale thread. Here are some of our photos from our visit to Namu this summer. The cannery in Namu (Fitz Hugh Sound) was shut down in the late 1970's. It continued as an ice plant and general purchasing plant for a few years after that. It is now in serious deterioration. We anchored in Rock Inlet, which although lovely was a lousy place to take Jenny to shore.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619369.377949.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619534.753026.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619567.862448.jpg

Icehouse

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619601.552351.jpg

The retort

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619639.432766.jpg

Office

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619660.443713.jpg

Store. Still has a stock of fuel and oil filters.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619686.352075.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619731.125218.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619757.516800.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1447619827.228704.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Ahhh...more sea kayaking memories :) but all our photo's from this part of the coast are in slides.

We stayed at Namu for a couple days in 1992 waiting for a food drop to come in by mail. Brian the caretaker, Lauren, and a couple other people living there kind of adopted us, and the party was on!!!!

After a few days we had to bail because the pace was pretty intense and set up camp on the mouth of the Koeye River. Brian made an emergency trip to Bella Bella for more beer, found our camp, and the party was on for another night.

He also got us to stuff a bunch of cases of beer into our kayaks which we delivered to the very thirsty caretaker of the Pruth Bay Lodge.

Then a big rented boat broke down, the clients flew out leaving all their booze...yup...you got it!

We finally had to get the heck off that part of the coast as it was the wettest we ever encountered yet it never rained once. (Don't drink anymore).

The Cape Caution area was idyllic in its solitude.

I think the party still goes on there. I had to take Jenny back to the cannery so she could do her business. Some guy was ashore with lady and he was shooting his shotgun at either seals or seagulls. Jenny was NOT HAPPY and I had to ask him to stop so she could relax enough to pee. The place is an environmental disaster. They took away the derelict vessel that was tied to the dock but there's all sorts of chemicals and oil spilled in the warehouses onsite.

Jim

Some guy was ashore with lady and he was shooting his shotgun at either seals or seagulls.

Yikes!

You got guts...the most dangerous animal on the whole coast has to be some whacked out wahoo in the middle of nowhere with a gun :eek:

We tied up there in 03 w our Albin 25. The float was sinking w water over the float planking where we tied up but only about 1" on that side of the float. Some hippie like people were charging for moorage and selling things including cooked food. Boaters and hippie types all were having a good time eating and talking over the drone of a nearby generator.

In the 70's I stopped there and it was a very busy cannery w so much activity it looked like 100 years couldn't slow it down. We even bought gas there. Gas was sold at most any stop then as most boats in transit were gas powered. Even 40-45' boats. And many many smaller boats like 20-25' boats ran up and down the coast. Lots of outboards then. Going to Alaska in an OB boat was kind of a fad in the 60's. An 18' OB was a common sight.

Back
Top Bottom