Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #21
Grand Vizier
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Saw this boat at the gas dock today. Didn't have my camera but managed to grab my phone before it left the harbor. It's a Grand Banks 42 Europa rigged out with a full-bore commercial salmon trolling setup including full size ladder mast, trolling poles, hydraulic line gurdies-- the whole bit.

IIRC its name is Pacific-something and it has a commercial fishing license number on the sides of the flying bridge. It has an aft hull extension which appeared to be either an extended cockpit or a fish hold (ice).

I cannot for the life of me think why someone would want to use a GB42 with its semi-planing hull as a commercial troller, but they did. I have no idea if there have been any modifications to the hull below the waterline.

And no, this is not a Photoshop job.
Hi Marin. I dunno, with the poles in the water fishing, the hull form probably doesn't matter. Maybe the thought is the less time spent getting there, the more time fishing.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #22
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I hope you are talking about one fishery in a very limited area...because that statement doesn't fit 99% of the fishermen I know from New England to Florida, the Gulf Coast and where I served in Alaska...nor a huge amount of fishermen from other countries.
Thanks for clarifying Manyboats..

I reposted my original post because while salmon trolling might be popular along the PNW...I consider that pretty much a limited fishery in a limited area. Which is all I wanted to point out about "fishing boat designs in general".

Where I was in was pretty much netters.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #23
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben 27' "pocket cruiser"

Found this in the Juneau Craigslist just moments ago.

Commerical Troller

Handsome example of comfortable commercial troller, of which more and more are making the local scene each year.

Al is offline   Reply With Quote