From Los Angeles to Seattle by boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can boat all winter, but as said, you best pay attention to the weather. It won’t be warm, but there are definitely some nice periods. We were stuck on Stuart Island last November for an extra few days, and it was chilly. Sucia Island keeps the small dock available thru the winter. Large dock and docks at Matia and Jones are removed. Docks at Stuart Island are available, both in Prevost and Reid Harbor. Active boating, with boats heading North begins around the first of April. Most of the places in Desolation and the Broughtons don’t really get going until June. I have full tanks, and would like to head out for a few days, but it is in the 40s, windy and rainy, so will stay on the beach. I am headed to Bellingham today, do you want me to peek in your windows for an update, Ha.

That's good to know. I'm a California wimp when it comes to the cold. I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I have learned to love the cold for many of the same reasons that I love boating. Both can be uncomfortable and hold certain dangers, and because of that most people avoid them. But with proper gear, planning, and experience, the vast majority of the risk and discomfort can be avoided. And the return of being able to engage the pure, natural experience in solitude is incredibly satisfying.

If traveling at night you need to be in 500’ of water to avoid the crab pots. They usually don’t fish in anything deeper than 350’ but on my last trip I saw a few as far out as 420’. Once I was in 500’ of water I never saw anything.

The set lengths seem to be longer than I can remember. There are minefields of these off San Diego Main Harbor and especially Mission Bay. I know of two different boats that have caught them in the props down here.

Pt. Conception/Central Coast can get bad very quickly as others have noted. I have never done it on a small boat, but I was on an oil tanker that went between LA and SF. That was our sole route, up and down the coast for 4 months. It was during the winter, and we took a few beatings.

SF to PNW starting Aug 15

We are getting ready to make the trip north from SF to the PNW beginning this August 15. We plan to harbor hop all the way up. We have no time table. This thread has been very informative. I’ve been advised to try and get off the water everyday by noon with 2:00 at the latest. Our Bayliner 47 can sustain a conservative 15 knot cruise in cooperative sea states at a little less than 1 mph. This gives me a conservative range of 300 nautical miles. At 8 knots we get about 2 mpg.

Here’s how I’m thinking about things:
My primary criteria for go/nogo, is that days weather.
My second criteria for go/nogo is arrival time off harbor entrance to coincide with high slack water. This would then have to coincide with “get off the water by 2:00pm”.

How’s my reasoning?
What am I missing?

Here’s how I’m thinking about things:
My primary criteria for go/nogo, is that days weather.
My second criteria for go/nogo is arrival time off harbor entrance to coincide with high slack water. This would then have to coincide with “get off the water by 2:00pm”.

How’s my reasoning?
What am I missing?

I prefer to time for slack before the flood or a bit later. I can always slow if I'm going faster than estimated to cross at slack. If I'm not making as much speed as I estimated then I've got the entire flood to cross into the inlet / over the bar. If I time for slack before the ebb and I'm late.... not good.

As for time of day your general plan is good. But sometimes it's worth departing very early, even in darkness, to get the favorable conditions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom