Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
"The Jewel of the San Diego Boat Show"

I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.

2007 Selene 43 Ocean Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Selene 43.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
That sure is a purdy boat. Like sign, that sure I a lotta moola... But I bet she is worth it.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.
It is a beautiful boat. One thing that I use to hear from a relative who purchased a lot of used cars was to look on the lot of a new car dealer for their brand. Likely the customer was satisfied to come back and trade it in. This boat is a Selene owner moving to a new larger Selene. To me that's a very nice evaluation of the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I agree, that is a very pretty boat. Maybe a little overpriced as a friend recently bought a 2007 Nordhavn 47 for about the same money.

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Guru

Get ready for the negs on the "backward" windshield.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.
I completely forgot that..... You are absolutely correct!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Some people use portable/folding helm seats...makes for nice room sometimes but useless in heavy seas...fine for the ICW and Fairweather boating.

Good point about the AP remote..it is what I do as the Albin helm on my boat is the worst I have ever sat in.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.
Excellent point! I don't have a remote on my boat. In fact my charting looks very much like this.
Attached Thumbnails
nav chart.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat.
You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste.
And I'm sticking with that comment!
My previous comments on the Selene 43 were about the condition I found the boat to be in. But thanks anyway for remembering!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: gulf coast
I agree about the seating. Mostly I would have to use the flybridge steering. Movable seats would be a terrible idea in my area with all the wakes. I want seating that keeps me in place with wakes or beam seas. Even up top that boat has poor visibility close in front but that seems a common design error.

People designing those boats have probably never run them any distance.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
That sure is a purdy boat. Like sign, that sure I a lotta moola... But I bet she is worth it.
They have a Selene 43' for sale at your marina for the bargain basement price of about $395K.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....
I've never known a Selene owner who didn't feel the same way so they must be doing something right.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It's still an 8 Kt boat, Spiegel. I thought you wanted to go faster than 8 Kts.

But I suppose in that level of comfort, 8 Kts would be easier to take.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.

Nope just keep on extolling the Selene's virtues.. there are plenty of us that ramble on the Nordy virtues so sell away. The Selene's are very attractive boats.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #19

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Yes, it's certainly a great looking boat ; I have always liked Selene's and I think they keep getting better & better as time goes on. I also look at Krogens, I like those those too. The best boat for you is always dependent on your mission though, whether you want to cruise the coast, or cross oceans. All & all, it's a sweet boat.

The lack of helm chair may not be as inappropriate as it first appears, IF there is a remote control head for the autopilot, located at the bench seat. I have certainly seen this feature before though. For just steering, this is fine. If you have some close quarter maneuvering to do with both wheel & throttle action, you'd probably want to be standing anyway. I know I do.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 AM   #20
Guru

There are certain brands of boats that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to find dissatisfied owners of. Selene, Fleming, KK. We even had a thread recently that showed how hard it is for Bayliner although I think the used boat buyer would be a bit more tolerant than a new boat buyer. Very few unhappy with Nordhavn although they seem exceptionally tolerant of first year shake down issues, but then that's to Nordhavn's credit if they've set expectations reasonable with their customers and met them. There are others I haven't heard owners express regrets over such as Diesel Duck and Defever. I've spent my life around Sea Rays and with their huge volumes have been amazed at the level of customer satisfaction, although certainly not perfect. I don't think any of the above would be perfect with that number of customers.

I will say the vast majority of boat builders do a good job of delivering quality that meets their customer's expectations and needs. Very few bad brands, perhaps because they tend to fall by the wayside.