Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nsail's Avatar
 
City: Benicia CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 498
Impressive Desolation Sound Flyover

This is for PNW'ers only. Don't tell anybody!

__________________
Advertisement

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
I have it on good authority these are all unused backplate scenes that were shot in New Zealand for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. Somebody pirated these out takes and keyed Desolation Sound placenames over them. The giveaway is the blue sky.
__________________

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I have it on good authority these are all unused backplate scenes that were shot in New Zealand for the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. Somebody pirated these out takes and keyed Desolation Sound placenames over them. The giveaway is the blue sky.
Sorry, Marin, that won't work. The word is out. The place will be absolutely overrun with cruising boats now.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,667
It's much uglier by water. Better to just keep away. I hear the intercoastal on the East coast is prettier.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,324
Looks crowded already.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Nsail's Avatar
 
City: Benicia CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 498
And it was -10 without the wind chill.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #7
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Sorry, Marin, that won't work. The word is out. The place will be absolutely overrun with cruising boats now.
Oh, I'm not too worried about that. Fuel prices have already started back up here and the word on the street has it that oil will be back up well into the $100-$150 a barrel range by summer. Then we'll get marine diesel prices back up where they should be at $5 or $6 a gallon and that will keep folks away.

Worked last time.....

And it will be good for new airplane sales, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Homfray Channel, Desolation Sound, 2012. We chartered a 40' Gulf Mariner from Desolation Sound Charters, our first bare boat charter and really the first time I operated a "big boat" solo. No danger hitting a rock in the Middle of Homfray channel. It's only 700 metres deep. Desolation Sound is a busy place in the summer months, with the warmest water temperatures in the PNW

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424548882.540254.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	37605

Prideaux Haven

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424549140.407978.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	37606




Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Looks crowded already.

Compared to where you are, it most certainly is!


Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Compared to where you are, it most certainly is!


Jim
Shhhhh...I've said too much already
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Larry H's Avatar
 
City: Pacific Northwest
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 359
If you imagine that Desolation Sound will look like that video in summer, you will be very disappointed. Every anchorage will be full, with many boats running generators. Prideaux Haven will be wall to wall full of boats, almost close enough to walk to shore across the swim steps. The inner harbor in Squirrel Cove can have 50-75 boats anchored, also almost touching. Expect to meet and by passed by large boats, running fast, with large wakes.
__________________
Larry H
Cruising the Pacific Northwest
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
If you imagine that Desolation Sound will look like that video in summer, you will be very disappointed. Every anchorage will be full, with many boats running generators. Prideaux Haven will be wall to wall full of boats, almost close enough to walk to shore across the swim steps. The inner harbor in Squirrel Cove can have 50-75 boats anchored, also almost touching. Expect to meet and by passed by large boats, running fast, with large wakes.

Its stuff like that which drives people above the rapids.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
Larry and eye,
Yes indeed that's the reason we've never been there. Perhaps really late next fall. Before Christmas.

Have anchored in Squirl Cove and Eco Bay and was amazed at all the boats. I hope the South Sound isn't as bad as that's where we'll go first.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
The time to visit is in the shoulder season, June or September. We we in Small Inlet at the end of July, around the other side of Quadra and there were only 2 other boats. Waiatt Cove, Thurston Bay off Nodales, empty in September.


Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Tonic's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 184
Prideaux Haven late July, 2013. The Great Gathering of the Dinghies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013BoatTrip 108x.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	37609  
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #16
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Oh, I'm not too worried about that. Fuel prices have already started back up here and the word on the street has it that oil will be back up well into the $100-$150 a barrel range by summer. Then we'll get marine diesel prices back up where they should be at $5 or $6 a gallon and that will keep folks away.

Worked last time.....

And it will be good for new airplane sales, too.
yes but remember they start the free fuel giveaway this week


oh and the really cool thing is no anchors are needed
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #17
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
Marin was quoted saying "I'm not too worried about that".

What is "that" and where is whatever you are referring to? Don't see any other post on this thread by siestakey.

Don't see oil coming back up that fast but oil's always been a loose canon so who knows. I think it will take two or three times that long but I'm just a guesser re oil ....... like everyone else. But I just saw something on GPS (Global Public Square) ....... a book. The Accedential Super Power by Peter Zeiham. Freed Zackaria just had an interview w Mr Zeiham. Seems he really has a handle on this oil situation. But that's not what the book's about. It's about geography and our huge advantage in the world in this regard.


Tonic,
That's awful. Even worse than Lake Union.

JDCAVE,
Thanks.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
Guru
 
JDCAVE's Avatar
 
City: Lions Bay, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin was quoted saying "I'm not too worried about that".

What is "that" and where is whatever you are referring to? Don't see any other post on this thread by siestakey.

Don't see oil coming back up that fast but oil's always been a loose canon so who knows. I think it will take two or three times that long but I'm just a guesser re oil ....... like everyone else. But I just saw something on GPS (Global Public Square) ....... a book. The Accedential Super Power by Peter Zeiham. Freed Zackaria just had an interview w Mr Zeiham. Seems he really has a handle on this oil situation. But that's not what the book's about. It's about geography and our huge advantage in the world in this regard.


Tonic,
That's awful. Even worse than Lake Union.

JDCAVE,
Thanks.

Well you're welcome but I'm not sure what for :-). On the subject of oil prices, I do wonder if this is all about manipulation of the markets by the US and the Saudis, as it's probably the most effective sanction there is against both ISL and Russia. Don't think it's a coincidence at all.


Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,712
JDCAVE,
Your last post .. at that point .. #14

Re the oil Perhaps that's probably a factor a but coincidence? We're at Barn's & Noble now about to ask for the aforementioned book by Mr Zeiham. I was very impressed w him in the interview. As to manipulation I doubt economic forces would allow it. Just my opinion.
In college I read much on the subject of "what made America great". A very interesting subject. Mr Zeiham says it's geography. In college the leading theory was the frontier. But that is highly linked to geography. We have two geography majors in the family. I could easily have been the third.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Tonic's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Tonic,
That's awful. Even worse than Lake Union.
I posted that in keeping with the tone of the thread but it was actually not a bad experience at all. We anchored in a nice free swinging spot-with-a-view with few boats close by. For the 3 nights we were there I would guesstimate no more than 40 boats in the whole haven including Melanie cove. Not empty, but it didn't seem that crowded, although I'm sure it can get that way at times. There were a few rafts of boats just outside the entrance and a couple of 100+' yachts also were anchored outside.

Only a couple of hours after dropping our hook a lady stopped by in her dinghy to hand us, and every other boat, an invitation to a live concert the following evening. It was off the swim step of an 80' OA, only for an hour, and was BYOB & D (dinghy). I'm not usually one for crowds, but it was a hoot rafting up with maybe 40 dinghies and sundry floating things. All in all the concert enhanced our memory of our only trip, so far, to Prideaux Haven.

But, to sum up, horrible place, constant rain and crowds. Stay away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013BoatTrip 098x.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	37616   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013BoatTrip 093x.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	37617   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013BoatTrip 103x.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	37618  
__________________

Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012