If Amazon can deliver packages by drone... how about my boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
With the advent of package deliveries by drone and driverless cars being tested on the streets this summer, what if I wanted to skip being aboard my boat on the long boring passage between Seattle and points south?

Are we going to see future vessel deliveries done robotically? I guess you could drive or fly down the coast and help land your boat at the destination fuel dock, then cruise the desired area until hurricane season, when you would step off the boat and have it automatically retrace the route home.

GPS plotter, AIS and Radar interface, Autopilot linked in. Add a remote control fly by wire if you want to take over for manual control. Camera's to see it all in real time.

Of course, there would be no hourly engine room checks going on, unless by video feed.

I wonder if my insurance company would want a separate rider for automated operation?

Some folks have been doing it that way all along, but it's more polite to call them crew than drones :D

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1426806848.165797.jpg

I don't understand your issue...

If you want to see plenty of driverless cars and boats operating, just go to your local highway or waterway. You will see plenty of people looking down at their phone while operating :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom