Gulf Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Took some friends from Hawaii who have recently moved to Whidbey Island on a week-plus run through the Gulf Islands.* Didn't take a lot of photos as we went to places I've been before but here are a few.*

We were in Ganges the weekend of the annual workboat gathering.* While there were a few still-working boats in attendance most of them were ex-workboats that have been converted into recreational vessels.* The boats ranged from 30-foot salmon trollers to a huge, steam-powered tug.*

Thought Eric might like the shot of the windlass and anchor on the ex-salmon troller.* A number of boats in the gathering had similar arrangements on their foredecks and while the types of anchors varied considerably I noticed that all of them had all-chain rodes.

The boat in the second photo was built by my employer, The Boeing Company, in 1929.* It was made by the shipyard Boeing operated in Vancouver, a yard that also turned out a number of fast express cruisers that became favored by the rum runners who smuggled booze from Canada into the US during Prohibition via drop-off and rendezvous points in the San Juans.* I've read in our company archives that the Boeing boats could outrun anything the "revenooers" could come up with.* This particular boat was built by Boeing for BC Fisheries.* Both BC Fisheries and the BC Forestry dept. had a number of very handsome patrol/enforcement boats built for them by a number of BC yards.* While most of the boats turned out by Boeing in Vancouver were powerboats they also turned out at least a few very good-looking sailboats, all single-masted sloops I believe.* I've seen one of them and whoever drew up the lines had a great eye for aesthetics.

The last shot gives an idea of the typical weather for this area--- strong wind and rain. The sunny day-wake shot just before it is one of my Photoshop jobs using a shot I took in New Zealand with our boat keyed in.* You'd never get a shot like this up here.

Attachments

• p1050367.jpg
    p1050367.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 91
  • p1050378.jpg
    p1050378.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 91
  • p1050397.jpg
    p1050397.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 90
  • p1050434.jpg
    p1050434.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 92
  • p1050416.jpg
    p1050416.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 108
Marin,Yea * *.. that anchor winch is just about exactly what I bought about a month ago but have since more or less decided it's too big and ugly to but on the Willy. Being reduction (chain) drive it's about 6 or 7" bigger than the direct drive units. I think SD has a DD unit * *..thats what I would like but it's not what I've got.
Ganges is a fun place. Been there 4 or 5 times. THe market, the festivities and all the wonderful places to eat.
"The sunny day-wake shot just before it is one of my Photoshop jobs using a shot I took in New Zealand with our boat keyed in.* You'd never get a shot like this up here." Look at my pics of a skiff trip on the west coast of POW. We got the holly grail of perfect SE weather for several days * * ...then heavy rain, winds 35 to 45 w gusts to 60. It's been wet ever since.
But we sure enjoyed that skiff trip.

Marin wrote:

" The sunny day-wake shot just before it is one of my Photoshop jobs using a shot I took in New Zealand with our boat keyed in.* You'd never get a shot like this up here."
Great stuff! (LOL)

nomadwilly wrote:

Marin,
Yea * *.. that anchor winch is just about exactly what I bought about a month ago but have since more or less decided it's too big and ugly to but on the Willy.
So, you want to sell it?............
Arctic Traveller

Jeff,Sure * *...$400 would be good. That's what I paid. It's 15 dia x 14 wide. Here are 2 pics of the same (or nearly so) winch on boats in Craig and a shot of mine at home.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 1st of October 2010 10:01:50 AM

Attachments

• sth71068.jpg
    sth71068.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 94
  • sth71070.jpg
    sth71070.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 93
  • sth71089 copy.jpg
    sth71089 copy.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts