Old 07-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Food restrictions for US boat entering B.C./Canada

This seems to be the appropriate web page with food restrictions:

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

However, I know two years ago we couldn't bring potatoes (anything with an "eye") nor any stonefruit. Although we could sit outside the border and pit all the fruit and dump the pits, which doesn't make any sense.

Just last night some boaters that went last year said the same thing.

Anyone know a more definitive web page for food restrictions entering B.C.? And many of you have cleared this year, I'm sure, what do you hear over the radio/cell about restrictions?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I haven't seen or studied a difinitive list but get the impression it is very variable.
That page even says can be changed at any time...

I have good friends w a motorhome that were checked & told to cook (on the spot) chicken they had in the freezer or toss it.
I don't get it what did tjety think they would do with it 1 or more days later when hungry. .. try to breed them or toss them into a chicken farm uncooked? ??
Dairy has long been a hot button but that's all about duties and high prices in CDN.
Same here in NY w firewood... they sometimes threaten to confiscate it if brougt in from more than 50 mi... I asked the park what they do with the confiscated wood?
With a straight face the mgr said they would burn it!
DUH... what were the campers going to do? Plant it to see if it would grow?
Why is common sense so uncommon?
Sorry for the diversion... rant over
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Go straight to the Canada Border Patrol web site. I just checked it a week ago. Store bought potatoes are legal now, home grown not. Many restrictions are now gone. As to the chicken story, if it had been removed from its packaging then it is considered home grown and not allowed, same for beef. Seafood ok.

I’m sitting at BlindBay Resort, getting ready for a German dinner.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Last year, we checked the CBP website and used that information to select what food to take. Turns out that when we got to the border and talked with the agent, they were unhappy with some of the items we had. So, I think checking with the website is great, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
This all about the saint of bureaucracy. We get most of our fruits and vegetables from Florida, California, mexico and other Latin american countries but if you do the same in your car trunk it is a no no. We import tons of cheese from France but if you have one in your luggage it is a no no. And same for so many things.
I understand the rationale behind controlling vegetable food import as this can introduce some foreign invasive species but when you have food goods coming from equally developed countries... Come on. Do you know anybody that was guilty of introducing a foreign decease because he had a Camembert or some Foie Gras in his luggage? Any death from a guy having a Saucisson in hands?
Anyway things are like they are and nothing will change so the only advise I would give is go to the grocery on the other side of the border. The saved time will worth it.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Upon entering Canada, we had to give up apples (all two) and had no firearms to declare.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Upon entering Canada, we had to give up apples (all two) and had no firearms to declare.
Be careful, if you have a brain, either entering Canadian waters or US waters, don't declare it as it may be harmful.
I know I am sarcastic but...

L
Old 08-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
There actually are reason's behind these bans, even though it may seem silly at the time.

A couple of years ago we hit the poultry ban and had to quarantine our eggs. We could cook them and eat them, but could not throw the shells or any parts overboard. This only applied to poultry from a couple of US States, or of unknown origin.

I asked why, politely, and out of curiosity. There had been a recent outbreak of avian flu in those states, and it was a precaution to prevent spread.

The firewood transport ban I am very familiar with, and very much support it. It's to prevent (reduce/slow) the spread of emerald ash borer and woolly adelgid which are invasive species that wipe out trees in a wholesale manner. They are very effectively spread by transporting infected firewood, hence the ban in many states. As an owner of a lot of timber land, I care about this very much. Elm trees are gone, as we all know. So are Butternut. I had huge butternut trees, but they have been on the ground for years now. There might be one dead one still standing waiting to fall over. All my beech trees have beech bark disease and are dying. Hemlocks have been wiped out in western BC, and ash trees are being wiped out in the eastern US. It's in central Mass, and has been found in Vermont where we are. So I expect our ash trees are next.

Usually when we chuckle at these things and make jokes about their lack of common sense, all we are really doing is exposing our ignorance on the topic.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Twistedtree
I understand and support the fire wood transport ban for the reasons you stated.
What I am missing is the parks solution... confiscate the wood... throw it in a pile... and have a big fire.
I just don't see what that accomplishes vs campers doing the same??? What am I missing?

Sort of the same w chickens.
I understand there can be disease on some of our food but don't understand what the solution accomplished?
What did the agents think the RVers were going to do with the frozen chicken in their freezer that posed a problem?
I guess my logic is the problem.
If either case has a logical explanation having agents share it would go a long way towards building understanding and support for compliance. IMO
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
We hit the "Apple Ban" last spring at Bedford heading north. They gave us a choice--leave two apples there or we could take them with us but upon our return to Canada we wold have to produce two apple cores.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #11

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
We hit the "Apple Ban" last spring at Bedford heading north. They gave us a choice--leave two apples there or we could take them with us but upon our return to Canada we wold have to produce two apple cores.
Well of course I would have done that - the cores. Hysterical.

Sounds like all in all we are in pretty good shape this year.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Go straight to the Canada Border Patrol web site. I just checked it a week ago. Store bought potatoes are legal now, home grown not. Many restrictions are now gone. As to the chicken story, if it had been removed from its packaging then it is considered home grown and not allowed, same for beef. Seafood ok.

I’m sitting at BlindBay Resort, getting ready for a German dinner.
I agree! Check the website as it can change daily......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Don't forget to check US restrictions for your return.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Twistedtree
I understand and support the fire wood transport ban for the reasons you stated.
What I am missing is the parks solution... confiscate the wood... throw it in a pile... and have a big fire.
I just don't see what that accomplishes vs campers doing the same??? What am I missing?

The difference MAY be that the parks department would isolate that firewood so that any invasive species can't spread before the wood is burned. In essence, they would treat is as a hazardous waste. Your camper may toss the wood at the edge of a campsite at the base of a susceptible tree. They may not burn it all and leave it in place "for the next camper" etc... The problem is that once inside, the parks dept has no control over the handling of that potentially contaminated wood until it is finally destroyed by fire.

The PNW has a huge problem with an invasive bark beetle. Drive through WA State and you can see a huge number of treas that are dead and dying.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #15
Guru

There is sound reason behind each ban. Just because you don't know it, doesn't mean it's not sound.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Last year the Candian customs guy had a little chuckle when he asked what the planter box was for on the foredeck. Told him my daughter was growing potatoes. When he said we can't bring potatoes in, I said: "that's why we had them for breakfast on the way over"!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is sound reason behind each ban. Just because you don't know it, doesn't mean it's not sound.
I perfectly understand the care to have when importing goods or woods. However there are certainly more invasive species transfer from boat hull, anchor and containers than from an orange you bought at the nearby supermarket. If they ask you to drop you orange before entering to be sure we are safe, they should as well disinfect the whole boat to ensure no insect or decease is coming in...

L
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
If they ask you to drop you orange before entering to be sure we are safe, they should as well disinfect the whole boat to ensure no insect or decease is coming in...

L
Perhaps they should. In areas of the US, Zebra Mussels are a huge problem and they're transferred from lake to lake by fishermen who trailer their boat. I'm sure those deciding have tried to determine the most significant issues that can be addressed with the least disruption.

Sure led to a huge purchase of eggs and chicken for us in Halifax.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
And for some people, the government reserves the right to image your hard drive or any device containing storage memory. I don't know who gets this special treatment or what you have to do to get on this list. Something to be aware of...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
You can't ship a lot things internationally using wooden packing crates or pallets anymore. You have to use some other material.

In the finger lakes district of NY if you come from somewhere else you have to get your boat decontaminated before you can launch (e.g. Lake George). The service if free and involves inspection and washing with very hot water (including compartments). The boat is then sealed to the trailer. Launching it will break the seal and may warrant other inspection.

In the west (e.g. Lake Mead) after retrieving your boat, you must dry it before you haul it away. If they see your boat going down the road dripping water, it can be confiscated.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote