Food restrictions for US boat entering B.C./Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ship stores and open bottle is a reg you will have a hard time identifying. Near as I can tell, just something people took our of context and passed around until group think was enough to convince each other. Never been able to actually define it anywhere. You will have a less hard time finding a customs agent who both disagrees and happy to challenge you to find such a rule.

I got hassled a few years back at Bedwell for open bottles and a couple partials over the limit. They searched the boat for two hours and finally let me go without an infraction, but was not worth the trouble. Don’t think it’s wha they were after, but they were happy to threaten heaven and earth over it to see if I suddenly caved to a cache of contraband somewhere else on the boat. Nope, just me and a dog on a 50 foot boat, traveling alone. Good new is I don’t need to have another rectal exam for 3 years <joke>

To date, by declaring Ship Stores and Private use has worked for me when entering Canada.

Put it this way, the Canadians are much friendlier towards me as a foreigner entering Canada than the US Customs folks are as a resident returning home.

As a NEXUS holder I have found a simple phone call works for me when entering back to the U.S.

To clarify, I know the ships store has worked for others. Just saying that I’ve had customs agents claim otherwise in real life. I may well be more the exception, but people should know it’s just something that often works, not necessarily a letter of the law thing that is easy to reference. If somebody has the chapter and verse, I might be inclined to carry it with me in the future for good measure, but what I did find was not quite so clear cut as to assuage my last water boarding experience.

On June 1 2008 we had the honor of crossing into Canada on the morning of the first day the Canadians had combined various border roles (Agriculture / Customs etc). We were the border crews first boat.

Unfortunately we had a single onion that was considered contraband. Not a problem in terms of value, it was just that the crew didn't know what to do with the onion. We offered to let them take it. We offered to cook it up and eat it, etc. It ended up in an evidence bag brought by the police. But then they couldn't figure out what to do with us.

Finally I called a Canadian lawyer I knew who referred me to the appropriate ministry in Ottawa. The customs agents then called that ministry which instructed them to release the onion (and more importantly us) as the problem at that time was larger quantities of onions.

We were released in time to make our plane and have enjoyed the story greatly over the years.

The Canadian border officers were polite and friendly and I had no problem with them, it was just a new role for them and things were confusing.

Things can get very confusing.
Maybe next they will start taxing the 'fuel onboard' when you cross into Canada.
In retaliation, the US will demand receipts for any fuel you purchased in Canada so the US can tax that. LOL

When I worked in logging camps, I had the same problem with gas. I had built about a 50 gallon spare gas take and mounted it behind the back seat of the Bronco. It was not connected to the fuel system initially. They checked it out and then put in red road tax free gasoline. You know, the tax free gas and taxed gas when mixed together changes into a strange color.
At the time, I had no idea why they were checking the outlet from the spare gas tank. When I connected the tank to the fuel system and a change valve, I threw a rag over the tank discharge. The guy at the fuel yard never inspected again and I didn't confess. Same way with US diesel. Marine or 'farm' diesel road tax free is red. Dont get caught putting tax free diesel into your diesel car.

Last edited:
We were released in time to make our plane and have enjoyed the story greatly over the years.
Speaking of enjoying a story over the years, some years ago we trailered a sailboat to Toronto or Lake Simcoe from western NY. The Canadian border agent asked me if we had any 'bar stock' in the car or on the boat. Like a deer in the headlights, I just sat there thinking this does not compute. Finally, the admiral leaned over and said we had no booze. He let us go without the expected proctology exam, given my reaction.

I've been designing large machinery for four decades or more, and to me, 'bar stock' is long steel rounds or rectangles or hexes or whatever. It never occurred to me he was asking about booze. :facepalm:

The admiral is still dining out on that one.

The Canadian border officers were polite and friendly and I had no problem with them, it was just a new role for them and things were confusing.
They've always been nicer checking in either at a highway border crossing or by phone in a marina than the US agents when coming back, especially by phone. But that's just my limited experience.

To clarify, I know the ships store has worked for others. Just saying that I’ve had customs agents claim otherwise in real life. I may well be more the exception, but people should know it’s just something that often works, not necessarily a letter of the law thing that is easy to reference. If somebody has the chapter and verse, I might be inclined to carry it with me in the future for good measure, but what I did find was not quite so clear cut as to assuage my last water boarding experience.

For me, claiming "Ship Stores, Private Use Only" is the norm, not the exception on the West Coast in B.C. Canada. I also have a NEXUS.

What about the new Canadian /US duties?

I have crossed the boarder via boat many times. I was asked this week how the new tariffs/duties that have cropped up in the Trump trade war are implemented with private boaters. Does this impact recreational boaters crossing between the US and Canada?

For me, claiming "Ship Stores, Private Use Only" is the norm, not the exception on the West Coast in B.C. Canada. I also have a NEXUS.

So you don’t give information as to what you have, just say you have “Ship stores for private use”?

One of these years I’m going to go through the NEXUS process.

I have crossed the boarder via boat many times. I was asked this week how the new tariffs/duties that have cropped up in the Trump trade war are implemented with private boaters. Does this impact recreational boaters crossing between the US and Canada?

Only those Canadians who just purchased a US boat and are taking it home.

However, the immigration issue does impact us all. Having just been to Canada and back, the questions asked were greater and more jokes made. As to food, we have a detailed inventory printout and once they recovered from the shock, all was fine. Returning to the US, we were (unusual for us) inspected thoroughly and each person matched up with their passport. The one Hispanic aboard was questioned more than anyone else. She was asked how long she'd been a US Citizen and stated since birth. Then asked if her parents were citizens and she stated they became citizens later. Then it was "where are they now" and she said "buried in Miami." When he asked how they died, her husband popped up and told him that line of questioning was ended and if he had an issue get his supervisor on the phone.

Also, by asking so many questions, they just seemed to confuse themselves. As is typical, we had several who flew in and met us in Montreal and then joined us. They were most confused that Aurora was on the boat already but her parents didn't join until Montreal. We then explained her grandparents were on before and had a letter granting permission. So, then he wanted to know where they were now and we said "In Myrtle Beach". Then it was "why aren't they still on the boat". Oh and we had two return in our van who were on the boat so they asked where they were and we pointed to them on land waiting to board when allowed.

Only those Canadians who just purchased a US boat and are taking it home.

However, the immigration issue does impact us all. Having just been to Canada and back, the questions asked were greater and more jokes made. As to food, we have a detailed inventory printout and once they recovered from the shock, all was fine. Returning to the US, we were (unusual for us) inspected thoroughly and each person matched up with their passport. The one Hispanic aboard was questioned more than anyone else. She was asked how long she'd been a US Citizen and stated since birth. Then asked if her parents were citizens and she stated they became citizens later. Then it was "where are they now" and she said "buried in Miami." When he asked how they died, her husband popped up and told him that line of questioning was ended and if he had an issue get his supervisor on the phone.

Also, by asking so many questions, they just seemed to confuse themselves. As is typical, we had several who flew in and met us in Montreal and then joined us. They were most confused that Aurora was on the boat already but her parents didn't join until Montreal. We then explained her grandparents were on before and had a letter granting permission. So, then he wanted to know where they were now and we said "In Myrtle Beach". Then it was "why aren't they still on the boat". Oh and we had two return in our van who were on the boat so they asked where they were and we pointed to them on land waiting to board when allowed.

I understand about the boat issues, it is the other tariffed items like:
Tariff Item Description 0403.10.10 Yogourt: Within access commitment 0403.10.20 Yogourt: Over access commitment 0901.21.00 Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated 1602.32.11 Prepared meals: Of spent fowl; Specially defined mixtures 1602.32.92 Other: Specially defined mixtures, other than in cans or glass jars; Spent fowl other than in cans or glass jars 1602.50.10 Of bovine animals: Prepared meals 1602.50.99 Of bovine animals: Other 1702.20.00 Maple sugar and maple syrup 1704.90.20 Liquorice candy; Toffee 1704.90.90 Other sugar confectionary 1806.31.00 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled 1806.32.00 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Not filled 1905.90.51 Pizza and quiche 2001.10.00 Cucumbers and gherkins 2007.99.10 Strawberry jam 2009.12.00 Orange juice: Not frozen, of a Brix value not exceeding 20 2103.10.00 Soya sauce 2103.20.10 Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Tomato ketchup 2103.20.90 Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Other 2103.90.10 Mayonnaise and salad dressing 2103.90.20 Mixed condiments and mixed seasonings 2103.90.90 Other sauces 2104.10.00 Soups and broths and preparations therefor 2202.10.00 Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured

Do we now need to document and pay duties on each of these items when we go across the boarder?

So you don’t give information as to what you have, just say you have “Ship stores for private use”?

One of these years I’m going to go through the NEXUS process.

Oh no. I tell them everything I have on board. Last year I had six-5th bottles of Monkey Shoulder, 6-jugs (Handle jugs) of cheap scotch, Varies open bottles of things like Pendleton, Jim Beam etc, along with 18 bottles of wine and 90 cigars. Had about the same when I came back down from Alaska.:thumb::eek:

I understand about the boat issues, it is the other tariffed items like:
Tariff Item Description 0403.10.10 Yogourt: Within access commitment 0403.10.20 Yogourt: Over access commitment 0901.21.00 Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated 1602.32.11 Prepared meals: Of spent fowl; Specially defined mixtures 1602.32.92 Other: Specially defined mixtures, other than in cans or glass jars; Spent fowl other than in cans or glass jars 1602.50.10 Of bovine animals: Prepared meals 1602.50.99 Of bovine animals: Other 1702.20.00 Maple sugar and maple syrup 1704.90.20 Liquorice candy; Toffee 1704.90.90 Other sugar confectionary 1806.31.00 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled 1806.32.00 Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Not filled 1905.90.51 Pizza and quiche 2001.10.00 Cucumbers and gherkins 2007.99.10 Strawberry jam 2009.12.00 Orange juice: Not frozen, of a Brix value not exceeding 20 2103.10.00 Soya sauce 2103.20.10 Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Tomato ketchup 2103.20.90 Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Other 2103.90.10 Mayonnaise and salad dressing 2103.90.20 Mixed condiments and mixed seasonings 2103.90.90 Other sauces 2104.10.00 Soups and broths and preparations therefor 2202.10.00 Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured

Do we now need to document and pay duties on each of these items when we go across the boarder?

We were not charged or questioned on those items. I believe if you were importing them into Canada it would be one thing, but as you have no intention of leaving them in Canada then they are not subjecting them to tariff, just like they don't to Taxes.

Back
Top Bottom