Ensenada, MX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboatnow

We're talking about heading down to Ensenada for a month or so this winter. Having not been there, I was interested in opinions about the marinas, possibly getting some work done (new swim platform) and general feel for the place.

Cheers

I have heard the marina prices are up as some Americans have bought them, but that is just water cooler talk, no actual experience.....

Hotel Coral is the best choice in terms of amenities and security. I go often and always enjoy it. Fito, the marina manager, can guide you through all of the paperwork.

As for the prices being up, unless it is very recent, it is not true of the Coral. In my experience, in general, tourist oriented pricing in all of Ensenada increased as a result of the recession. The thinking was that since they have fewer customers, they need to make more money on each of the remaining customers. If americans took over some of these businesses, I think they would take exactly the opposite approach.

Baja Naval is the boat yard. I have never had work done there, but the pricing is not particularly competitive. However, since it is Mexico, it is easier to "negotiate".

Last edited:
You might PM Dswizzler. He just returned from having some work done there over a few weeks and is back in San Diego now.

Hotel Coral and Marina advertises $1.80/ft ($828 for 46') while Ensenada Cruiseport Village says $455/month for my 46' boat. Quite a difference. Anyone have experience with either?

Years ago I had my 54' sport fisher down there for 3 months. (90 day tax club) I enjoyed it, the hotel amenities were excellent, the fishing for Yellow Tail was great and so many places in Ensinada to get a good meal. I had no experience with Baja Naval. I'm considering going back for a few days.:thumb:

Attachments

• Mediterranean 38.jpg
    Mediterranean 38.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 134
I have spent a fair amount of time at cruise port and for mexico it is a great marina, the staff is helpful, the place is very clean, the security is first rate and it is in town and close to restaurants etc. A 46' boat is about $ 500.00 a month. I will be back there in november on the way south
Hollywood

A very good friend of mine owns Boats Juanitos in the harbor. I have known Juan for nearly 35 years and he has always been helpful and accommodating. His rates are competitive and his dock is close to Baja Naval and a short walk to town. His dock is simple (wood) and not very fancy. Juan can also take you fishing.

Cruiseport is nice but a longish walk to town.

The Coral is nice, but if I wanted to stay in a Newport Beach hotel I'd go to Newport Beach. If you stay at the Coral town is a taxi ride away 3 or 4 miles).

If you decide to spend a night in a hotel in town I recommend the Casa del Sol. It's on the edge of the gringo area, but still only a few blocks to good restaurants, shops and taverns. Nice patio, big pool, rooms are simple but nice and clean.

Perhaps my bias is showing???

I have been to Baja Naval several times in the past but not recently. They were very professional, keep the yard spotless and had a graduate engineer overseeing each project (boat job). Their prices 10 years ago were about 1/2 to 2/3 of US prices. Labor was, as I remember, about $14 per hour so any labor intensive job was cheaper but supplies such as paint were the same as in California since that was where they bought it. You need an up-to-date report but I would be surprised if the quality of the work has decreased.

Paul

I have spent a fair amount of time at cruise port and for mexico it is a great marina, the staff is helpful, the place is very clean, the security is first rate and it is in town and close to restaurants etc. A 46' boat is about $ 500.00 a month. I will be back there in november on the way south
Hollywood

How far south are you going? Is this an annual thing for you? Maybe we'll see you there in November.

Cheers

How far south are you going? Is this an annual thing for you? Maybe we'll see you there in November.

Cheers

Its hit and miss, was there last year on a n46 that a friend owns, on a n57 two years ago. Back there this fall and headed south on the same n46. I will be on the boat to la paz..hope to spend some time in la ventanna kiteboarding if time allows.
Lets touch base in early fall.
Have a great trip!
Hollywood

I am curious if there any recent trip takers to Enseneda? I used to go down there in the 80 and 90's but stopped when things started getting heavy with the drug violence. On the other hand, I have heard the marinas and surrounding environments are fairly safe?

I am curious if there any recent trip takers to Enseneda? I used to go down there in the 80 and 90's but stopped when things started getting heavy with the drug violence. On the other hand, I have heard the marinas and surrounding environments are fairly safe?

We were there very briefly in January 2015 and it was fine. However, we were also in Acapulco a month later and we wouldn't dare stop there today. I'd check the US Embassy site. I was going to suggest Noonsite as well, but their page hasn't been updated for a good while.

Here is the Embassy's page.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Comments from visiting that area even a month ago is outdated as things have changed so much recently.

Last edited:
I visited Ensenada last month (my second visit this year). The tourist area near the harbor is, IMO, safer than the downtown areas of many SoCal cities. I have been visiting Ensenada for more than 35 years and I have never had any problems.

I visited Ensenada last month (my second visit this year). The tourist area near the harbor is, IMO, safer than the downtown areas of many SoCal cities. I have been visiting Ensenada for more than 35 years and I have never had any problems.

The Embassy doesn't currently report problems there. It does warn people to exercise caution in the Northern areas of Tijuana and Rosarito, primarily due to the risk of being caught in the turf battles where some innocent bystanders have been shot.

Thanks for the replies. I used to drive through TJ and Rosarito on our way down the coast for surf trips years ago. Agree, I would not want to go there, especially now. Sad situation because the locals could use the tourist dollars. We may test out Ensenada one of these days, but I still have some concerns.

Thanks for the replies. I used to drive through TJ and Rosarito on our way down the coast for surf trips years ago. Agree, I would not want to go there, especially now. Sad situation because the locals could use the tourist dollars. We may test out Ensenada one of these days, but I still have some concerns.

Right now you treat travel to many parts of the world much like you treat weather and sea conditions. You continue to check up until the moment to depart and if conditions say not to go then you don't. I use to travel periodically to Colombia on business. During the period I did so, it was very safe, but the period shortly before, it wasn't, and the period shortly thereafter, it wasn't.

Agree, life has inherent risks, and we all have different tolerances, so we need to manage them how we see fit. When I was younger I travelled throughout the world on oil tankers and freighter's. Spent a lot of days and nights ashore, including some very impoverished places, and never had any problems. Others have a way of finding it. In any event, thanks for the update on Ensenada. If anyone else goes down there, I would be interested in hearing more, including the fuel quality, which I have heard can be sub par.

As boaters we have three general things to be aware of and/or worry about.

1. Piracy. Definitely a risk in several areas of the world.
2. Violence including Terrorism. Tourists haven't traditionally been targets. That's changed and now includes risk of being in the middle of conflict, risk of being randomly attacked, and risk of being targeted as an act of terrorism. These are in addition to just regular every day crime.
3. Non violent property crime. This isn't generally something to keep one from going to a general area but may sway the specifics and influence precautions.

Other tourists really have only number 2 to deal with.

I agree about TJ and Rosarita. The nice thing about the drive down and back is that you skirt around both cities when you are on the toll road and when you are going between the toll road and the border crossing.

If you are going by sea there doesn't seem to be much of a problem (I did that voyage 30+ times). Do get your Temporary Import Permit (available online) and follow the directions carefully when you apply. Also, you need a customs permit to return to the US if your boat is over 30'. Don't forget your passport (by land or sea).

And don't take any firearms or ammo to Mexico! If you are caught with those items in your possession you'll spend a long time in jail.

FWIW Latitude 38 usually has up to date info on activity along the Pacific Coast of Mexico. www.latitude38.com even though is a rag-boat centered site they always seem to have interesting articles and updates, it may be worth a look.

Ensanada

I agree about TJ and Rosarita. The nice thing about the drive down and back is that you skirt around both cities when you are on the toll road and when you are going between the toll road and the border crossing.

If you are going by sea there doesn't seem to be much of a problem (I did that voyage 30+ times). Do get your Temporary Import Permit (available online) and follow the directions carefully when you apply. Also, you need a customs permit to return to the US if your boat is over 30'. Don't forget your passport (by land or sea).

We spent six months in Ensenada back in 2005 / 2006 and drove back and forth from SD twice per month to check on the boat. Agree the tool roads make it easier and a little safer. I have heard from a few boat owners over the past year who have made the trip via car without any issues.

Does the Temporary Import Permit eliminate the need to run downtown Ensenada and file papers to enter the country by boat or is that still a requirement even for a weekend visit? Thank you

Does the Temporary Import Permit eliminate the need to run downtown Ensenada and file papers to enter the country by boat or is that still a requirement even for a weekend visit? Thank you

All our entry was handled at the port. The tourist permit was handled in the immigration office inside the CIS (Centro Integral de Servicios) building in the port area. The TIP can be handled by local customs or even obtained online in advance.

Here is a good link for information. Baja Naval

Note that Baja Naval will handle the TIP for you for $50 and takes less than an hour.

We found all documentation easy at all Mexican ports when using the local dockmaster or agent.

Back
Top Bottom