Cruising SF Bay Delta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know a number of members cruise the SF Bay Delta. We are considering spending a couple of weeks to a month exploring the area this fall and are looking for pointers. We tend to enjoy exploring the natural environment over visiting cities and towns, but do both. Also keep in mind that we have a 7' draft and are 65' long, so that overly restrict us?

Thanks in advance.

In very short form:

Pay attention to the charts; the bottom hasn't shifted much. The seven feet will restrict you from a few places, such as the Meadows. Another issue is the water hyacinth levels, good to do some web searching and local knowledge. You will be too big for some of the local marinas.

Our modern cruising experience in the Delta was almost entirely on a chartered Mainship 430 which we anchored the majority of the time.

There are lots of fun and pretty places to anchor away from it all, including just off to the side of less traveled sloughs,, Sutter, White's, Cache, Prospect for a few instances, even most of Steamboat. Then there are some "lakes", most notably Mildred Island. Anchoring in one of the sloughs, a bow and stern anchor helps keep you off the levee and out of the main channel.

Not all of the bridges open and some change schedule seasonally. There are schedules available on line.

There is a forum over on BoaterEd which is a continuation of the old local Delta forum; worth going back through the archives.

Much of it will remind you of the AICW.

No help on the details but I can offer a couple of pics for the flavor of the San Joaquin River...

(yes - I'm outside the channel - just wanted to keep my distance from the big boy)

Attachments

• 2016-03-06 09.09.10.jpg
    2016-03-06 09.09.10.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 2016-03-06 09.55.06.jpg
    2016-03-06 09.55.06.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 2016-03-06 09.58.01.jpg
    2016-03-06 09.58.01.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom