Old 03-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We shipped our 14 ton, 37 footer (41 loa) from Albany, New York to Yankton, South Dakota, 1500 miles. The actual trucking cost was just under $10k, but $3k prep and loading on each end, not including the few repairs and improvements we had done at the good marina on the NY end. The total was around $16k, so I agree with the other posters who cautioned that the trucking cost is only a portion of the whole project.

It all worked out well and still made sense for us because we got an incredible deal on the boat, and I kind of do project logistics for a living. The longest water trip we've ever done so far was about 300 miles (Atlantic) so I really can't speak to the Canal alternative, but just be prepared to write some checks and spend time on all the arrangements for shipping a big boat. Personally I'd do the Great Lakes first too, but then I love those areas.

kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Truck it to the great lakes. Start from there.

You are in for a great trip. And you have the right boat.
Think I would cruise to Seattle, WA, clear customs, then truck to Milwaukee or Green Bay WI, in August. Good boat trucking companies based out of Seattle and a pretty straight shot to Lake Michigan.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Think I would cruise to Seattle, WA, clear customs, then truck to Milwaukee or Green Bay WI, in August. Good boat trucking companies based out of Seattle and a pretty straight shot to Lake Michigan.

Ted
...and my sense is that shipping on the western side of the country tends to be a little cheaper too. Fewer states so fewer state trucking permits, less day or time of day restrictions, and more open highways with fewer height detours.
kthoennes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Thats why I suggested going from SoCal to Texas. If your timetable is flexible you could get the boat onto a returning truck that was going to deadhead back from the west anyway. Any $$$ is better than none.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Truck it to the great lakes. Start from there.

Can you say, " Trent-Severn"? Sure you can.

Now try "Rideau canal", "Richelieu river" and "Chambly canal"

You are in for a great trip. And you have the right boat.
A great idea!
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
Not much in city of Green Bay. and it's well off the beaten track. Lower Green Bay is boring and bug infested. If Lake Michigan is the drop point, I'd put it in at Menominee, Michigan (north end of "The Bay"). Door County, Wisconsin is a short jaunt across the Bay. Most boat owners from Green Bay/Milwaukee/Racine and even Chicago have a slip in Door County.

Now, if Lake Superior is of interest, ship it to Duluth and do the south shore including Isle Royal. Pictured Rocks sea shore, and the Apostle Islands. Then the locks at Sault St. Marie to the lower Lakes. Personally, I'd skip the river portion of the loop and do it counter clockwise....maybe a mini loop around upper Lake Michigan and upper Green Bay after Superior. But nothing much good on Lake Michigan south of a line from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin to Leland Michigan. Cover the west shore of Wisconsin's Door County, then up the northwest shore of lower Michigan and head east to Lake Ontario's North Channel/Georgian Bay via Mackinaw Island...on to the Canadian canals including the Richelieu.....then the Hudson and points south. Sell the boat in Texas.

By the way, I can recommend an excellent transport company out of Menominee who cover the nation. They haul for Carver/Marquis and Cruisers in addition to private jobs. They also have a storage facility and yard, so they know what they're doing in terms of reassembly. (No affiliation) I didn't use them when we moved our boat from Austin Texas to Lake Michigan, but wish we had.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post

By the way, I can recommend an excellent transport company out of Menominee who cover the nation. They haul for Carver/Marquis and Cruisers in addition to private jobs. They also have a storage facility and yard, so they know what they're doing in terms of reassembly. (No affiliation) I didn't use them when we moved our boat from Austin Texas to Lake Michigan, but wish we had.
Joule?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Joule?
The company I would recommend is M&B Yacht transport out of Menominee. www.mbyachttransport.com Mom and pop operation that also have a small yard. They were not available in the time window for hauling our boat, so I had to go with someone else (not Joule). The agreement was that the company would send a crew of three to help disassemble the flybridge, etc....they sent the driver only who arrived two days late. Both he and I were PO'd at the whole situation. Boat arrived at destination OK, but the company did not hold up their end of the bargain. I ended up working my tail off for three days to get the boat ready for loading. Driver was a good guy and helped when he finally arrived, but...

By the way, for the OP, feel free to contact me off line regarding our experience with moving a 44 OA, and info regarding northern Lake Michigan marinas and yards. There are a number of options depending on where and when.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
The company I would recommend is M&B Yacht transport out of Menominee. www.mbyachttransport.com Mom and pop operation that also have a small yard. They were not available in the time window for hauling our boat, so I had to go with someone else (not Joule). The agreement was that the company would send a crew of three to help disassemble the flybridge, etc....they sent the driver only who arrived two days late. Both he and I were PO'd at the whole situation. Boat arrived at destination OK, but the company did not hold up their end of the bargain. I ended up working my tail off for three days to get the boat ready for loading. Driver was a good guy and helped when he finally arrived, but...

By the way, for the OP, feel free to contact me off line regarding our experience with moving a 44 OA, and info regarding northern Lake Michigan marinas and yards. There are a number of options depending on where and when.
I thought of Joule simply because they do so much of the hauling for Carver, Sea Ray, Cruisers and many other major manufacturers. I wonder if M&B doesn't also do some moving for Joule. Certainly your recommendation is good and they appear to be set up very well to handle the work.

M&B also owns a marina. The aspect that appeals to me is that they can do all the disassembly and reassembly. I like the full responsibility of a move, whether boat, cars, house, business, whatever, to be in the hands of one company, one group of people.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote