Cruise To Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cruisers think it's virtuous, more manly or an indication of boating experience or braveness ect ect to anchor instead of going to a town or village. I'm an Alaskan and love to visit harbors and towns. There's more Alaska culture, Alaskans and other things to see in Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau, Angoon, Pt Baker, and many other places than most anchorages. Anchorages are fun too especially w a good dinghy but my "perfect Alaska cruise" would be 30% anchoring and 70% in harbor.

:thumb::thumb:

I am looking forward to exploring SE AK. So many islands, wonderful towns, especially the ones the big Cruise ships don't visit/ruin.

Wxx3 wrote;

"I am looking forward to exploring SE AK. So many islands, wonderful towns, especially the ones the big Cruise ships don't visit/ruin"

I've spent considerable time in Ketchikan (lots of cruise ships) and don't think the town is ruined. Don't care for the hordes of people on the street dressed like they are on a misty stroll in SF. Men in their "office slacks" and women w clear plastic things on their heads. I kinda like the extreme level of activity though and in the summer that's very "Alaskan" though and sorta just adds to it. Boat people are tourists too and there's lots of infrastructure there like resturants, museums, short tourflights ect that wouldn't be there w/o the cruise ships. And don't forget YOU are tourists too. Most any Alaskan will see you and identify you as an tourist. You are from the lower 48 just like all those people off the cruise ships.

The only place in SE that is largely free of tourists is SW SE .. basically Prince of Wales Is. That's one of the reasons we went there to live. It's more unspoiled by outsiders. However Alaskans are almost all outsiders themselves. Very few (like me) started out there. Most all migrated there like it's the last frontier. The thought of Alaska reeks of adventure and most go there for money and adventure. The average person that goes to Alaska to live stays for 5 years.

It's a mater of what you want. History, culture, people watching and some fun or geography and a bit more adventure. Of course the thing that is most unlike where you live is ice. Huge quantities of glacial ice. And all of Glacier Bay only saw the light of day 50 to 100 years ago. The newest place on earth.
But don't sell the towns short.

Wxx3 what towns and cities have the cruise ships not ruined?

When we go we want to dock at marinas and get on land and meet the people, see the towns.

As to the cruise ships, they ruin and they build. It varies and those two go together. Yes the local artisans have now been discovered. Their small little stores. But had it not been for cruising, some of them wouldn't be there and some of the stores would have disappeared.

Band B,
OK good.
Delete "marina's" from your mind and insert "town/city floats"

Cruise ships and flotilla cruises are both money making attempts for some entity. In Ketchikan, Juneau, Vancouver, Anchorage or Petersburg the big ships are easy enough to avoid but not so the flotillas. Either way though, both are part of the boating experience.

I'd not get to tight with a learner or training style flotilla group as the breakdowns, anchor dragging and groundings become the norm you have to adopt your schedule and expectations to. One flotilla group that really impresses me are the predicted log racers out of Seattle. Those guys really know their stuff and are a self sufficient group travelling all the way to Juneau as they joust for position each day.

Thank the social and government breakdowns in Mexico for the rapid increase in PNW cruise ships.

Some of us up here do!! There are times when it is raining and the cruise ships have filled the available berths it is raining cats and dogs, the streets are full of wonderful tourist donning plastic bags with neck and arm holes cut into them, colorful plastic throw always the ships provide and some just drenched wet standing about. Here is where the fun is: You wander up to a gaggle of them standing under the only overhead wondering when and soon,please stop the rain. You quietly say: "If it don't rain soon it will miss a hell of a chance." Boy the looks you receive.
Another wonderful trick is to just walk up to them as they are coming your way and say"Good Morning" When you force them to make eye contact, something 99% will not do unless you take this tack, the result is a level of comfort established and you are sometimes rewarded with a smile!

(Now I understand-In America eye contact is avoided and therefore an inbred trait. Up here we tend to acknowlege each other as second nature, even of different political beliefs)

Happy to see ALL visitors, cruise and cruisers All are enjoying what Alaska has to offer.

Al :flowers:

Band B,
OK good.
Delete "marina's" from your mind and insert "town/city floats"

I'm thinking towns and only used the term marina's to indicate docking and getting off the boat and walking around town. Yes, I know not like the marinas I'm accustomed to.

Some of us up here do!! There are times when it is raining and the cruise ships have filled the available berths it is raining cats and dogs, the streets are full of wonderful tourist donning plastic bags with neck and arm holes cut into them, colorful plastic throw always the ships provide and some just drenched wet standing about. Here is where the fun is: You wander up to a gaggle of them standing under the only overhead wondering when and soon,please stop the rain. You quietly say: "If it don't rain soon it will miss a hell of a chance." Boy the looks you receive.
Another wonderful trick is to just walk up to them as they are coming your way and say"Good Morning" When you force them to make eye contact, something 99% will not do unless you take this tack, the result is a level of comfort established and you are sometimes rewarded with a smile!

(Now I understand-In America eye contact is avoided and therefore an inbred trait. Up here we tend to acknowlege each other as second nature, even of different political beliefs)

Happy to see ALL visitors, cruise and cruisers All are enjoying what Alaska has to offer.

You should do time switches on them too. They're a bit disoriented on the ship plus not used to the long days so greet them about 9 AM saying something about bed time or wish them good morning at 7 pm.

Now you say something to us, I'll probably respond but think "Who is the crazy man?" while my wife will fully engage you in conversation. Then I'll join further once she gets it going. She's the extrovert. I'm the introvert.

And we will make eye contact. She does naturally and for me it was learned that if there's a suspicious person make eye contact so they know you are aware of their presence.

But you're right about eye contact. I do make it. Learned 20 years ago. But I used to interview a lot of people and amazing how many didn't make eye contact.

Oh! I love all the colorful responses of my fellow Alaskans, we have such varied lives but share similarities, we don't lack an opinion!!
Alas the flotilla inundation will pale in comparison to Fairbanks in 1974 with all the pointy boots and big hats arriving at the airport. Current sign-up tallies are a mere seven boats for each, that won't even approximate the flotilla you SE guys used to see for the spring herring openers.
And now let's whet the appetite for all Alaska cruise dreamers, alas the latest PassageMaker Mag and the "Beyond Desolation" article, within are a number of courses and destinations written of, that happen to be planned destinations of the group voyage.
As a side do take note of the background picture in the contents page of this issue to see the picture credits belong to a frequent participant to TF!
I can sympathize with all participants herein that wish to escape the proverbial crowds, who may consider group travel as confining and unexciting, as that is what you do when you live within the middle latitudes. Having survived flying floatplanes in Alaska for 30 years I on the contrary I have a view from the top down (latitude), rather than the escapism of the view from the middle looking north, which seems to be a shedding of the crowds. I would welcome any invitation to join in a planned passage north of Cape Spencer, in similar craft destined for PWS, for this crossing is as serious as PNW boating gets, any friends along the journey would be appreciated.
Great voyaging to all.

Rubber boots, a hooded sweatshirt, dirty jeans, and a couple-day's beard growth: you might be mistaken for a resident.

Al, it is the Alaska way!:thumb:

Alaska is stupendous (at least during tourist season).

232323232%7Ffp734%3B5%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36657336nu0mrj

I'll tell you what, when you take your snow machine out to a frozen river 100 miles from no where, with a big fire going and cheering your favorite Iditirod team, with the northern lights up above, well it is about as close to heaven you can get while still alive....

I'll tell you what, when you take your snow machine out to a frozen river 100 miles from no where, with a big fire going and cheering your favorite Iditirod team, with the northern lights up above, well it is about as close to heaven you can get while still alive....

Wifey B: Oh no...that's just wrong in so many ways......no no no.....When you're in beautiful clear water, so clear you can see the bottom, and the sun is setting, you see various sea creatures at play, birds flying by overhead, you're off an uninhabited island, you and your spouse remove clothes and dive in. You're surrounded by warmth of every type. The sky goes slowly from it's beautiful blue, shade by shade of color until darkness with the stars and moon overhead. Then you get back on the boat, hold each other, kiss and say, "that was heavenly."

I'm not a fan of cold. Our Alaskan trip will be summer and I'll suffer a little from cold and having to wear lots of clothes to see the beauty and meet the people.

Also some talk about avoiding where the cruise ships go and we'll certainly want some time in quieter areas, but the cruise ships pick places to go for their beauty and because there are things to see so we'll go there too. We can deal with tourists. After all, we're one too. Maybe it helps that we live in a tourist city.

Alaskan waters are big enough to accommodate both cruise ships and private boats, as well as commercial traffic.

232323232%7Ffp54384%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C3645%3A336nu0mrj

I have sat in my river boat in the middle of Prince William Sound (PWS) and have had a whale surface next to the boat (yep had to turn the undies inside out) and seen the sky turn wavy white as thousands of snow geese headed inland! Nothing compares to cruising Alaska and yes even during the summer (if you are from the L48) you may have to wear some long underwear. These pics are in April 2007

Attachments

• A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 98
Rubber boots, a hooded sweatshirt, dirty jeans, and a couple-day's beard growth: you might be mistaken for a resident.

Wifey B: Dirty Jeans? Oops. Don't think I can do that. Might be able to handle rubber boots and hooded sweatshirt for a few minutes at a time. And my man is kind of sexy with a couple of days growth, although one day looks like a couple with him. Something tells me I could never be mistaken for a resident so I'm not going to try to fool anyone. Just a very appreciative tourist thanking you all for letting me see the beauty.

This is my favotite photo of Alaska

whaletail.jpg

We took this in August last summer just outside Petersburg. The SeaSport was a little close.

Tom

Attachments

• Sea Sport and Whale 2.jpg
    Sea Sport and Whale 2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 99
We are very much looking forward to seeing it for ourselves this summer.

Well, Alaska would love to have you.

There are two maritime Alasks's.

There is southeast

And there is the rest of Alaska accross the gulf.

Our cruising grounds are the North Gulf Coast and Prince William Sound.

This is wilderness cruising at its finest.

Well, Alaska would love to have you.

There are two maritime Alasks's.

There is southeast

And there is the rest of Alaska accross the gulf.

Our cruising grounds are the North Gulf Coast and Prince William Sound.

This is wilderness cruising at its finest.

We haven't yet determined our full route or how far, but do intend to go to Cordova and from there to Prince William Sound. We will be cruising two months from Port Angeles to Port Angeles. Now that does include Seattle and Vancouver in our plans, although possible we'll bypass them and get them on an earlier or later trip.

We haven't yet determined our full route or how far, but do intend to go to Cordova and from there to Prince William Sound. We will be cruising two months from Port Angeles to Port Angeles. Now that does include Seattle and Vancouver in our plans, although possible we'll bypass them and get them on an earlier or later trip.

Of course all things flexible. Right now the only day we're sure of is tomorrow. Although we think we know where we're cruising overnight Tuesday night and arriving Wednesday, if we don't change our mind. But on the Gulf Coast at the moment so Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida on our map.

Well, I've been to Cordova, several times over the years. Nice town. Nice harbor. It is a great place to fuel up and provision up. Your last place before that, with a real store is Juneau, several cruising days away.

Well, I've been to Cordova, several times over the years. Nice town. Nice harbor. It is a great place to fuel up and provision up. Your last place before that, with a real store is Juneau, several cruising days away.

Yes, that's why Cordova enters into our plans. We've looked at what many of the Flotillas do as a starting point. But we do intend to take more time than most of them do plus explore additional areas. Go up on the inside and, weather permitting, return on the outside, or at least partially outside.

Yes, that's why Cordova enters into our plans. We've looked at what many of the Flotillas do as a starting point. But we do intend to take more time than most of them do plus explore additional areas. Go up on the inside and, weather permitting, return on the outside, or at least partially outside.

Well The Gulf of Alaska will be a good merit badge for you. Crossing the gulf is the furthest you have to be exposed to the sea, with nowhere to run in North America.

You can always to choose to cruise off shore in other places, but in the Gulf of Alaska you have no choice.

210NM from Yakutat bay to Hinchinbrook entrance. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. If you call for help on the radio, nobody will hear you. Its an eery feeling.

Here's a post I made on another forum, in real time while crossing the gulf at night. It describes my feelings to a tee.

I have to admit, its been a long time since I operated a boat at night.

Imagine this...You're in a sea that is safe but moves the boat around quite a bit.

OK you can imagine that. Now take away all of your visual references. You cannot see. You do not know when a wave is going to hit. But you learn. You get a feel for the rhythm. You begin to anticipate the next set.

This is a time when you live by your radar and your chart plotter, because this is really all you have between you and danger. Unimaginable danger. The primal fear danger of not surviving. Right now this is my world. This is night shift on the MV Lisas Way.

Right now at this particular moment I am very happy that my Furuno Manual looks old and tattered. Why...Because I've read it. Not once, but many times, over a period of years.

I know that equipment. I know that when the radar shows something it really exists. I know that when it shows nothing thats because nothing is out there. Because when your equipment is all that separates you from the darkest of times, having confidence in that equipment is all that keeps you sane.

Right now I'm in the middle of my 4 hour watch. Jamison is asleep in his bunk, and I am at the helm. I can see the tip of Kyak Island that we just passed. I can see a couple of shower cells on the radar. Other than that all is quiet on the MV lisas Way.

Last edited:
Well The Gulf of Alaska will be a good merit badge for you. Crossing the gulf is the furthest you have to be exposed to the sea, with nowhere to run in North America.

You can always to choose to cruise off shore in other places, but in the Gulf of Alaska you have no choice.

210NM from Yakutat bay to Hinchinbrook entrance. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. If you call for help on the radio, nobody will hear you. Its an eery feeling.

Here's a post I made on another forum, in real time while crossing the gulf at night. It describes my feelings to a tee.

I have to admit, its been a long time since I operated a boat at night.

Imagine this...You're in a sea that is safe but moves the boat around quite a bit.

OK you can imagine that. Now take away all of your visual references. You cannot see. You do not know when a wave is going to hit. But you learn. You get a feel for the rhythm. You begin to anticipate the next set.

This is a time when you live by your radar and your chart plotter, because this is really all you have between you and danger. Unimaginable danger. The primal fear danger of not surviving. Right now this is my world. This is night shift on the MV Lisas Way.

Right now at this particular moment I am very happy that my Furuno Manual looks old and tattered. Why...Because I've read it. Not once, but many times, over a period of years.

I know that equipment. I know that when the radar shows something it really exists. I know that when it shows nothing thats because nothing is out there. Because when your equipment is all that separates you from the darkest of times, having confidence in that equipment is all that keeps you sane.

Right now I'm in the middle of my 4 hour watch. Jamison is asleep in his bunk, and I am at the helm. I can see the tip of Kyak Island that we just passed. I can see a couple of shower cells on the radar. Other than that all is quiet on the MV lisas Way.

Well, we've still got a lot of reading, studying and planning ahead, but we will have Captains plus an Alaska Pilot to have that local experience too. Obviously weather windows are important and we'd also attempt to make during the day. We're not undertaking this alone although we probably will be at the helm most of the time. We will have a Captain couple where both are 500T Masters Ocean and are anxious to go. May also use a local pilot in certain areas. We are both just 50 Ton Inland Masters ourselves although this trip will push us to or very close to the experience we need for Near Coastal. We'll go into the cruise about 40 days short. We won't hit 100 Ton requirements until early 2015 or possibly very late 2014. Beyond 100 we have a long time to wait. Probably 2019 before we'll get the experience for 200.

Not Captains for any reason other than our own education and experience and just the pleasure of the training. So no professional purposes.

Kevin, I remeber this post very well and referred to it when we brought our boat up from SF to the Columbia. You are correct, nowhere to run, so chose your weather window carfully.

For PWS, you will need this:

fcover.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom