Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Akfish,
I don't think Canada is for sale and remember ... we're 16T in debt. Haven't got the money anyway. They'd be more likely to buy WA and AK. I don't think they're in debt. Looks like their smart enough to tax dino fuel and maintain there infrastructure. But on the other hand they're selling their natural resources as fast as they can.

And if you think Canada is more beautiful that Alaska you haven't seen Kynoch Inlet, Rosco Inlet and/or many others. And then there's the Queen Charlotte Islands. Alaska does not have a "North Beach".Boaters think going to AK puts a lot more hair on their chest and if you're into glaciers ... . The mad dash past Canada to get to Alaska is a mistake many make.

Pics are of Kynoch Inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0429 copy.jpg   DSCF0433 copy.jpg   DSCF0441 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I agree Eric. I thought the Kynoch Inlet scenery put Princess Louisa to shame. Here a few pictures from my collection.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Pic036.jpg   Pic037.jpg  
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Guru

Ron,
Was Kynoch Falls in Culpepper Lagoon? We didn't go in there. and we did'nt see the falls. Thought it was too deep for anchoring and didn't know about the current at the entrance. Anchored at the river mouth.

Kynoch Falls look a lot like these falls. The rock is way different though. Could be much older.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0404 copy.jpg  

Old 10-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Do they allow chains on the bed and lots of noise?

If they don't I ain't going

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Ron,
Was Kynoch Falls in Culpepper Lagoon? We didn't go in there. and we did'nt see the falls. Thought it was too deep for anchoring and didn't know about the current at the entrance. Anchored at the river mouth.

Kynoch Falls look a lot like these falls. The rock is way different though. Could be much older.
Eric,

The falls in the picture are at the entrance to Kynoch Inlet. They are at the north end of Mathison Channel and when you see them you make a right turn to go up Kynoch Inlet. I'm not sure they are named Kynoch
Falls and I don't have any charts here to verify the name. I'm surprised you missed them if you went up Mathison Channel.

When we anchored at the head of Kynoch Inlet we took the dinghy into Culpepper Lagoon and made many soundings at the opening. These soundings indicated it would be possible to take the big boat into Culpepper and I have talked to someone who did it.

My last time in the area, I wanted to go up Kynoch Inlet but it was foggy so my better half decided we would skip it. When the sun is out, this Inlet is God's country. Like I said before, much better than Princess Louisa.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

Pics are of Kynoch Inlet.
Thanks, Eric. Those photos are enchanting.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #27
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
It really is a magnificent part of the world.

It is an ambition of mine to take a boat through that area,it's a bit far for the mighty Sarawana, so it will probably be one of the fleet hire GB's that seem to populate the PNW.

Just don't spoil it before I get there.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
Guru

Andy wrote;

"Just don't spoil it before I get there"

Ther'e working hard at it but Alaska is big and the solution to pollution is dilution. Miners, fishermen and hunters may ruin Alaska but size is still mostly working so ruin probably won't come very soon. Depends on what I mean by "very soon" and I don't know either.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Akfish,

I wonder if we put ourselves up for sale, if we would get a better deal from the Canada.

Tom
That's a better idea, Tom.

We have just as much to offer as that waterfall at Kynoch Inlet...

Andy said, "Just don't spoil it before I get there"

Well, I'm being the best steward that I can be, and passing that to my kids so they have the same respect. Sometimes we go beach combing and we usually end up with a bunch of trash that we take back to port.

I have grown up commercial fishing here, and I think there is more awareness of the environment in general even though there is more use pressure. Things are not like when I set foot on my great grandfather's boat in Washington. But after watching the oil spill happen here in PWS, it's apparent we have to be aware of not sh!tting in our food dish. That's the short message to the kids, as we catch dinner.

Manyboats...you're right...lots and lots and lots of shoreline and water...it is amazing how nature re-claims itself over time. You have to dig around to find the nasty impacts of the Exxon Valdez eco-disaster. On it's face PWS is pristine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4108.jpg   IMG_4124.jpg   IMAG0255.jpg   IMAG0249.jpg   IMAG0267.jpg  

AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hummmm- "Just don't spoil it before I get there". Almost sounds like it is all about :"Me".

As a born and raised Alaskan from an Alaskan family and raised an Alaskan family the ever present sublime "anti-development' themes, while a 1st amendment right, do fire the soul of debate!
However, I have learned my lesson of the forum adjudicators.

Al Johnson
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Hummmm- "Just don't spoil it before I get there". Almost sounds like it is all about :"Me".

Al Johnson
Funny you should say that, because as I was typing the same thought occurred to me.

However it was certainly not meant that way, so let me re phrase

"Just don't spoil it", or perhaps more succinctly ,"don't let it be spoiled"
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #32
Guru

AKFish,
When I mentioned fishermen helping to destroy Alaska I was basically referring to the sport fish guys that fly up to fishing lodges, kill all the fish they can, but them in a box and fly them home to Nebraska, Pennsylvania or wherever. Also the bear hunters don't know the difference between cubs and adult bears on POW Is. Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #33
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
tpbrady- sorry, missed earlier your post. Yep, the very best way in the fall for Annual medical visits,Costco shopping and those other thinks not available in our small town. 38 hours, wonderful time to visit with other Alaskans.
The ferry back is fairly light on visitors, Elerhouse(sp) groups perhaps,but in the main Alaskan enjoying what we all have come to love and consider our "Blue Canoes" a way of life.
We take the ferry first to Prince Rupert (6 hours) and drive down through British Columbia taking in the fall colors. That takes 20 plus of driving time (1000 miles) or more if golfing at every opportunity The highway is just supreme, traffic is sparse in the Fall. Then as described above, our return trip via ferry.

Markpiece:
Your last photo below:
__________________depicts the corporate building of the company I was employed by for the last 25 years of my active employment years.
It is the two toned white and gray building with the two of the company tugs out front. You do have a knack with the camera.

25 years as a Super Cargo loading Log, lumber, pulp, ore ships from all over the world loading cargo all over Alaska from Dutch Harbor, Afognak,Yakatak,Wrangell, Klawock,Hydaburg,Ketchikan, Hawk Inlet, and many many at anchor sites including foreign fishing processors, Even did years as port agent with this company on the cruise ships and visiting yachts (The Big Ones!) when not on cargo vessel assignment. Great years, great times.

As to the purchase or sale of Alaska. A serious discussion regarding this subject was once a topic. Splitting Alaska at Yakatat South with all Southeast joining with British Columbia and Alberta to form either a State or a Province. It was an interesting discussion among some pretty savvy politicians. This was back in the Wally Hickel Governance. Nothing came of it yet many questions were raised.( I recall there being a considerable amount of "Hooch" involved to lubricate discussion!). as I recall The inference was the Anchorage area becoming even then, to big for it britches. (Sound familiar?) Any way, this is all most likely lost on the vast majority of the forum posters.

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Al

We'll look you up next year when we put the boat in the water in Wrangell. Should hit Ketchikan in early May.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
AKFish,
When I mentioned fishermen helping to destroy Alaska I was basically referring to the sport fish guys that fly up to fishing lodges, kill all the fish they can, but them in a box and fly them home to Nebraska, Pennsylvania or wherever. Also the bear hunters don't know the difference between cubs and adult bears on POW Is. Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.
Eric, its a balance I think.

We boat out of Seward, along with several other TF members.

What I see is two sided. The charters load up every morning and go out fishing. Lots of party boats with probably 10 or 15 people fishing, each in search of a limit of halibut.

Halibut fishing, and even worse Ling Cod fishing is pretty pitiful within the day trip range of these boats. They kill all they see. Salmon fishing is different. Stocked salmon return in huge numbers and represent a resource that is replenished annually.

I do not like what the charters do and have done, and I see it every day at the harbor.

The other side is the jobs produced. Seward has what appears to be a thriving tourisim based economy. Lots of people at work earning a living in Seward. From the boat mechanics, to the boat cleaners, to the folks that own or work in businesses that support tourisim.

There is no good answer. The only answer is to create a sustainable harvest limit to insure long term viability of fish stocks. I'm not sure we're there yet, but I know the question is on everyones mind that enjoys or depends on that part of Alaska's ocean resources.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #36
Guru

Kevin,
I don't mean to be argumentative about it but I disagree. Jobs are just jobs. If you've got 10000 or 100000 they are just jobs. Halibut, Ling Cod and Rockfish DID live in a balanced environment but no more. I don't see how they survive. They won't if this continues and that won't be balance. Nor will the human condition be balance. We need to control our numbers. Most of all those new human babies will consume a part of the earth and given enough babies humans will devour the earth like Locusts. That is indeed what is happening now.

Ten years ago there were less people in Seward and less jobs and more bottom fish. If in ten years w more people (imported to serve the increased jobs) there will be even fewer fish and the balance of fish to their environment will be anything but balance even though we have a balance of people and jobs. We are smart and know what's happening but too dumb to actually DO enough to move in the direction of real balance.

That is the human question. Will we ever belly up to the bar and get the job of balance done? That would be to revert our population to about 1950 levels. It dosn't appear promising.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Kevin,
I don't mean to be argumentative about it but I disagree. Jobs are just jobs. If you've got 10000 or 100000 they are just jobs. Halibut, Ling Cod and Rockfish DID live in a balanced environment but no more. I don't see how they survive. They won't if this continues and that won't be balance. Nor will the human condition be balance. We need to control our numbers. Most of all those new human babies will consume a part of the earth and given enough babies humans will devour the earth like Locusts. That is indeed what is happening now.

Ten years ago there were less people in Seward and less jobs and more bottom fish. If in ten years w more people (imported to serve the increased jobs) there will be even fewer fish and the balance of fish to their environment will be anything but balance even though we have a balance of people and jobs. We are smart and know what's happening but too dumb to actually DO enough to move in the direction of real balance.

That is the human question. Will we ever belly up to the bar and get the job of balance done? That would be to revert our population to about 1950 levels. It dosn't appear promising.
Interesting concept Eric. Less population = less pressure.

Can't say I disagree with the concept.... But it sounds like Soilent green to me.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #38
Guru

Silent Green??

Wazzat?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Soylent.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Agent Smith, The Matrix, 1999

Although I'm not sure if he ever visited Alaska or British Columbia...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote