Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
We took this in August last summer just outside Petersburg. The SeaSport was a little close.

Tom
WOW!

Thats a great photo!

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #82
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We are very much looking forward to seeing it for ourselves this summer.
Well, Alaska would love to have you.

There are two maritime Alasks's.

There is southeast

And there is the rest of Alaska accross the gulf.

Our cruising grounds are the North Gulf Coast and Prince William Sound.

This is wilderness cruising at its finest.

www.mvlisasway.com
Old 03-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Well, Alaska would love to have you.

There are two maritime Alasks's.

There is southeast

And there is the rest of Alaska accross the gulf.

Our cruising grounds are the North Gulf Coast and Prince William Sound.

This is wilderness cruising at its finest.
We haven't yet determined our full route or how far, but do intend to go to Cordova and from there to Prince William Sound. We will be cruising two months from Port Angeles to Port Angeles. Now that does include Seattle and Vancouver in our plans, although possible we'll bypass them and get them on an earlier or later trip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #84
Guru

Quote:
We haven't yet determined our full route or how far, but do intend to go to Cordova and from there to Prince William Sound. We will be cruising two months from Port Angeles to Port Angeles. Now that does include Seattle and Vancouver in our plans, although possible we'll bypass them and get them on an earlier or later trip.
Of course all things flexible. Right now the only day we're sure of is tomorrow. Although we think we know where we're cruising overnight Tuesday night and arriving Wednesday, if we don't change our mind. But on the Gulf Coast at the moment so Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida on our map.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #85
TF Site Team

Quote:
Well, I've been to Cordova, several times over the years. Nice town. Nice harbor. It is a great place to fuel up and provision up. Your last place before that, with a real store is Juneau, several cruising days away.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Well, I've been to Cordova, several times over the years. Nice town. Nice harbor. It is a great place to fuel up and provision up. Your last place before that, with a real store is Juneau, several cruising days away.
Yes, that's why Cordova enters into our plans. We've looked at what many of the Flotillas do as a starting point. But we do intend to take more time than most of them do plus explore additional areas. Go up on the inside and, weather permitting, return on the outside, or at least partially outside.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #87
TF Site Team

Quote:
Yes, that's why Cordova enters into our plans. We've looked at what many of the Flotillas do as a starting point. But we do intend to take more time than most of them do plus explore additional areas. Go up on the inside and, weather permitting, return on the outside, or at least partially outside.
Well The Gulf of Alaska will be a good merit badge for you. Crossing the gulf is the furthest you have to be exposed to the sea, with nowhere to run in North America.

You can always to choose to cruise off shore in other places, but in the Gulf of Alaska you have no choice.

210NM from Yakutat bay to Hinchinbrook entrance. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. If you call for help on the radio, nobody will hear you. Its an eery feeling.

Here's a post I made on another forum, in real time while crossing the gulf at night. It describes my feelings to a tee.

I have to admit, its been a long time since I operated a boat at night.

Imagine this...You're in a sea that is safe but moves the boat around quite a bit.

OK you can imagine that. Now take away all of your visual references. You cannot see. You do not know when a wave is going to hit. But you learn. You get a feel for the rhythm. You begin to anticipate the next set.

This is a time when you live by your radar and your chart plotter, because this is really all you have between you and danger. Unimaginable danger. The primal fear danger of not surviving. Right now this is my world. This is night shift on the MV Lisas Way.

Right now at this particular moment I am very happy that my Furuno Manual looks old and tattered. Why...Because I've read it. Not once, but many times, over a period of years.

I know that equipment. I know that when the radar shows something it really exists. I know that when it shows nothing thats because nothing is out there. Because when your equipment is all that separates you from the darkest of times, having confidence in that equipment is all that keeps you sane.

Right now I'm in the middle of my 4 hour watch. Jamison is asleep in his bunk, and I am at the helm. I can see the tip of Kyak Island that we just passed. I can see a couple of shower cells on the radar. Other than that all is quiet on the MV lisas Way.

www.mvlisasway.com
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Well The Gulf of Alaska will be a good merit badge for you. Crossing the gulf is the furthest you have to be exposed to the sea, with nowhere to run in North America.

You can always to choose to cruise off shore in other places, but in the Gulf of Alaska you have no choice.

210NM from Yakutat bay to Hinchinbrook entrance. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. If you call for help on the radio, nobody will hear you. Its an eery feeling.

Here's a post I made on another forum, in real time while crossing the gulf at night. It describes my feelings to a tee.

I have to admit, its been a long time since I operated a boat at night.

Imagine this...You're in a sea that is safe but moves the boat around quite a bit.

OK you can imagine that. Now take away all of your visual references. You cannot see. You do not know when a wave is going to hit. But you learn. You get a feel for the rhythm. You begin to anticipate the next set.

This is a time when you live by your radar and your chart plotter, because this is really all you have between you and danger. Unimaginable danger. The primal fear danger of not surviving. Right now this is my world. This is night shift on the MV Lisas Way.

Right now at this particular moment I am very happy that my Furuno Manual looks old and tattered. Why...Because I've read it. Not once, but many times, over a period of years.

I know that equipment. I know that when the radar shows something it really exists. I know that when it shows nothing thats because nothing is out there. Because when your equipment is all that separates you from the darkest of times, having confidence in that equipment is all that keeps you sane.

Right now I'm in the middle of my 4 hour watch. Jamison is asleep in his bunk, and I am at the helm. I can see the tip of Kyak Island that we just passed. I can see a couple of shower cells on the radar. Other than that all is quiet on the MV lisas Way.

Well, we've still got a lot of reading, studying and planning ahead, but we will have Captains plus an Alaska Pilot to have that local experience too. Obviously weather windows are important and we'd also attempt to make during the day. We're not undertaking this alone although we probably will be at the helm most of the time. We will have a Captain couple where both are 500T Masters Ocean and are anxious to go. May also use a local pilot in certain areas. We are both just 50 Ton Inland Masters ourselves although this trip will push us to or very close to the experience we need for Near Coastal. We'll go into the cruise about 40 days short. We won't hit 100 Ton requirements until early 2015 or possibly very late 2014. Beyond 100 we have a long time to wait. Probably 2019 before we'll get the experience for 200.

Not Captains for any reason other than our own education and experience and just the pleasure of the training. So no professional purposes.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #89
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Kevin, I remeber this post very well and referred to it when we brought our boat up from SF to the Columbia. You are correct, nowhere to run, so chose your weather window carfully.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
For PWS, you will need this:

Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
For cruising PWS, you will need this:

Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #92
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Kevin, I remeber this post very well and referred to it when we brought our boat up from SF to the Columbia. You are correct, nowhere to run, so chose your weather window carfully.
My next gulf crossing will be done differently.

I'm going to putt to Hinchinbrook entrance and wait for a weather window.

Then it'll be leave by dawn and cruise at 14 knots for the 210nm to Yakutat harbor.

I can do that during daylight hours.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:

Then it'll be leave by dawn and cruise at 14 knots for the 210nm to Yakutat harbor.

Understand.....burn a little fuel
Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #94

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Fuel vs peace of mind......???

Peace of mind in my book all day long!...LOL
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
Fuel vs peace of mind......???

Peace of mind in my book all day long!...LOL
Agree! $$$ vs peace of mind. All I have to say I am glad we have boats that can cruise at 14-16knts!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #96
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Understand.....burn a little fuel

Well...

The only advantage we have over the displacement boats is the ability to use speed to our advantage.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:

It's much like crossing the Gulf of Mexico, except its like the Gulf on Steroids. But we've crossed various times, Clearwater to Panama City and similar. Last time we had 1-2' all the way. Other times started at 3-4' and ended up more. Once was 6-8' by the time we completed it and that was in a faster boat.

We'd do just as you describe above, perhaps even beyond the 14 knots. The boat we will be on for that trip does cruise well at 20 knots.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #98
Scraping Paint

Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Beyond 100 we have a long time to wait. Probably 2019 before we'll get the experience for 200.
Do you plan on buying a large boat or working in the oil patch for a while?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Do you plan on buying a large boat or working in the oil patch for a while?
We've chartered larger boats a good bit and will be getting a larger boat in addition to the one for the loop and inland waters. We spend about 2/3 of our time cruising and even when we're home we probably get out on the water 1/3 of the days.

I don't think the two of us would do well in the oil patch. There would probably be some form of disaster. I think you did see my wife's comment earlier when someone spoke of wearing "dirty jeans." And I'm as bad in that reluctance as she is. I was 26 years old before I ever wore my first pair of jeans and it's been at least 3 or 4 years since I've worn any now.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #100
Scraping Paint

Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
It's difficult to get sea time on a boat >150 tons unless you own or are employed as crew on a really big one.

Or have a friend on one who has a magic pencil.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote