Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Silent Green??

Wazzat?
It refers to a Science Fiction movie of the 1970's, about overpopulation, where humans are recycled into a food source called Soylent Green.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Silent Green??

Wazzat?
Soylent Green....I don't think this was ever distributed in Thorne Bay. Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Eric:

Soylent Green: Soylent Green (1973) - IMDb

I suppose after you age to a certain point and realize that you are arriving at the end of life's conveyor belt thoughts tend to wander towards "What could have been or should have been".

My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery,
people would stop dying.
- Rodney Dangerfield

In the meanwhile Eric, I am attempting to upload some photos of our smaller trawler, a 18 foot Polsbo Skiff that has been modified to share. I believe you will be excited to view her.
I believe she will fall into your sphere of "What looks right is right" thinking.

Regards, Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Al do tell ..........

Is a boat called a "Poulsbo boat"? Wine glass stern, plumb stem, bent oak ribs, 14 & 16' many w very small inbd engines.

Yes ..... a wonderful boat. Open w upswept sheer and srtip planked.

Please bring on the pics.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #45
Al
Guru

Eric, and all, Yes I will submit under General Discussion soon. Obtaining a lesson on uploading tomorrow from my very young computer Wizard.

Al
Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Cool. Look forward to it. I used to live around Poulsbo twenty some years ago. Used to see them on occasion.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #47

City: Kenai Peninsula and Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Scotch Knight
Vessel Model: Knight and Carver
My "chief" and I are considering joining up with the folks of Waggoner in their upcoming flotilla cruise to southeast Ak and would like to hear from others that may be making similar plans to participate. This seems to be a great opportunity to make new friends and explore new destinations one may not consider while cruising solo. Great time to get the boat out of winter layup in Poulsbo and make for the north!
salmonchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #48
Al
Guru

Flotilla? I have heard it will be an Armada!!!. Up and down the coast boat harbors are preparing the waterfront much as the defenders against the Huns.
Joking of course

It sounds as though, if this is the group that will be venturing about in June Seattle to Wrangell. After that it is billed as" Anybody to anywhere". We up here is Southern Southeast have heard numbers of 50 craft of various size and makeup.

My good friends in Wrangell are excited for the arrival. There is Stikine river jet boat rides that if chosen, will run to Telegraph 'Creek, 180 miles upstream. Something like 10 hours up and 6 hours back or less, bear watching at Anan Creek, great shrimp and crabbing abounds and for those who will miss their golf, a very challenging 9 hole course. The club house has plenty of rental clubs and carts. Rare opportunity to say you played golf in Alaska!!

The harbor crew are about the best you would desire and really try to accommodate boaters.

If you are an Elk or not, Saturday night steak night will be a enjoyable gathering.

We live on the waterfront out of Ketchikan heading North. About 9 miles by water. We are located on Pond Reef and fly a 12x18 American flag. When we know you are in the area, we will if not already flying, hoist her for your passing by.

Should you elect to do this trip. you will have the privilege of sharing an experience of boating "Freedom" of days gone by.

Regards and best to you choice.
Al
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #49
Al
Guru

Damn!!! Now I see you are a neighbor!! Welcome through, we'll keep the light on!!
Al
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #50

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Hey Al ! Was reading thru this thread and your signature caught my eye... had to go back and look to make sure it was you...LOL
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #51

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Since the "Armada" schedule was announced, I've rescheduled my projected Ketchikan arrival/departure dates to ease the moorage demand.

Have also decided to immediately head out to the WC POW to avoid running into the "fleet" in the eastern ports.

Works for me.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 AM   #52
Al
Guru

Jay- Even if that were not the reason, unless you have been there before, trust me that you will discover some of the most intriguing and wonderful natural bays, anchor niches, coves, and islands in the thousands that will demand your wonderment of discovery. Good choice for a summer maritime mostly secluded boating sanctuary.
Enjoy-
Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 AM   #53
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Al,

Wrangell is where we kept our boat this winter and where we will be for the next couple of years. I should see you in Ketchikan sometime this summer. Where is the schedule for the armada? My slip should be open since in June we will up around Juneau. Planning for July for the Prince of Wales Island area and into Ketchikan. If anybody wants to venture further north. Let me know.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #54

Quote:
Jay- Even if that were not the reason, unless you have been there before, trust me that you will discover some of the most intriguing and wonderful natural bays, anchor niches, coves, and islands in the thousands that will demand your wonderment of discovery. Good choice for a summer maritime mostly secluded boating sanctuary.
Enjoy-
Al Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Thanks Al. I was joking a little about the "armada" and appreciate your response. West Coast POW is a special area among special areas. J
Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Al,

Wrangell is where we kept our boat this winter and where we will be for the next couple of years. I should see you in Ketchikan sometime this summer. Where is the schedule for the armada? My slip should be open since in June we will up around Juneau. Planning for July for the Prince of Wales Island area and into Ketchikan. If anybody wants to venture further north. Let me know.

Tom
Tom, this is the latest from The Waggoner website:

[Waggoner group #1: 5/18 Anacortes - 6/8 Ketchikan]
[Waggoner group #2: 6/1 Anacortes - 6/22 Ketchikan]
[Waggoner group #3: 6/14 Anacortes - 7/4 Ketchikan]

Jay
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #56
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:

We live on the waterfront out of Ketchikan heading North. About 9 miles by water. We are located on Pond Reef and fly a 12x18 American flag. When we know you are in the area, we will if not already flying, hoist her for your passing by.

Al
Hi Al,

New Moon should be in KTN ~6/15, stopping for a day or two before heading north around POW toward Craig. We'll look for Slo Belle and the flag.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #57
Al
Guru

Situation here. I am on our backup computer unable to access boating sites bookmarked to give specific information on the "Armada" that is traveling specifically from Seattle to Wrangell Alaska during June. I do not believe it is the Waggoner cruise. That annual series of trips are a given, as well the Grand Banks annual SE Alaska float . This additional cruise is a single promotion.

Participating on this forum is the authors of a Puget Sound boating publication who post on a regular basis. I believe they carried detail on the voyage and how to contact.

As soon as I retrieve my main computer and if the post here has not been confirmed by knowledgeable parties, I will access, retrieve, and report in what detail possible.
regards,
Al
Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #58
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Some of the stuff the outside sportsmen are doing in AK is sickening.
Considering that all those "outside sportsmen" are being guided by residents, staying at lodges owned or run by residents, and packed onto head boats owned and operated by residents I think the locals take a fair share of responsibility for your sickness.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #59
Al
Guru

Greetings to the forum- Having retrieved my main computer from the computer wizards I am able to post the information site on the earlier mentioned cruise from Seattle to Wrangell, Alaska in June.

Salty Dog Rally ALASKA, Power Boat Rally Underway! June 2014 – Seattle, WA to Wrangell, AK – The Extra Salty Leg Ends in Juneau, AK - Salty Dog Waterfront News

Don't know where the "Slo~Belle" will be at that period however if in the Wrangell area will keep an eye out for the hulls on the horizon, flags waving, bands playing, and anticipated good times for all!!
Al
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #60
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We are also going to Alaska this summer, assuming there is still space with all the groups. lol.

While we may see some of the groups and even join for certain events if things work out that way we're more freelancers rather than tying into a schedule. Plus we intend to take more time. We intend to take a minimum of six but probably closer to eight weeks, taking the inside north from Seattle and probably taking the outside back down, conditions allowing.

We never had the desire to go as we're really warm climate types, but once we started planning and reading more and more accounts we started to get very excited and really look forward to it now.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote