Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
We thought we'd have to save an eagle that did exactly the same thing where we were salmon trolling up the north end of Vancouver Island last spring. Hauled up the downriggers, headed for the eagle in the water, and got the longhandled landing net out to support it as we moved it to shore.

We were about halfway to the bird when we learned eagles can swim just fine. We later learned how common it is for them to do so and what impressive distances they can cover in the process. And they generally, as our bird did, carry their catch with them to the beach.

Actually, we learned they don't have a choice. Eagles cannot release their talons after grabbing something until they have weight on their feet. Sort of the reverse of the squat switch in a jetliner that prevents rhe landing gear from being retracted whenever there's weight on the wheels.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
We were surprised at how many eagles we saw coming down the Illinois, and Tenn-Tom this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A eagleIMG_7344.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	48260   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Young EagleIMG_6716.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	48261   Click image for larger version

Name:	A mom or dad eagleIMG_6778.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	48262  

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Sadly, one LESS Eagle now.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #24
Guru

We rescued a young currawong (native non amphibious bird) from our Bay a few years back. Amazingly, it used its wings as paddles to get to shore, we scooped it up, most of the fight was out of it, took it to our local vet, associated with WIRES, a wildlife rescue organization. Never checked if it survived, I like to think it`s one of the birds we see every day. Rescues are released where they were found.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Lots of videos of bald eagles swimming on YouTube. Here's one....

This is what the eagle we thought we'd need to rescue did. He or she got to shore, stood up, dragged whatever it had grabbed in the water onto the rocks and ate it. Then it shook itself off and flew away.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #26

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Looks like Brackendale. For future reference, Harrison River has a much larger Eagle turn out. Although there is lots of Eagles to be seen in Vancouver proper, mainly Spanish Banks at low tide.
I was just going to say that!...We live up on the other side of the highway from Brackendale up in Garibaldi Highlands (Squamish).
Old 01-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #27

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We thought we'd have to save an eagle that did exactly the same thing where we were salmon trolling up the north end of Vancouver Island last spring. Hauled up the downriggers, headed for the eagle in the water, and got the longhandled landing net out to support it as we moved it to shore.

We were about halfway to the bird when we learned eagles can swim just fine. We later learned how common it is for them to do so and what impressive distances they can cover in the process. And they generally, as our bird did, carry their catch with them to the beach.

Actually, we learned they don't have a choice. Eagles cannot release their talons after grabbing something until they have weight on their feet. Sort of the reverse of the squat switch in a jetliner that prevents rhe landing gear from being retracted whenever there's weight on the wheels.
Sorry Marin, it is a myth that Eagles cannot release their talons. We live on the beach next to a nest in a very active area of Eagles fishing. They catch and release often while flying and or swimming. They can release but often do not choose to. For further conversation on this topic you may wish to check out Alaska Fish and Game web page. Cheers
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #28
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I was jogging on the seawalk and and eagle dropped a 2" diameter aerie building stick from 100' or so and crashed down less than a foot from me.

So yeah. They can certainly release.

I have seen the swimming eagle to the beach trick a few times. The salmon was just too big to give up I guess.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy
I have seen the swimming eagle to the beach trick a few times. The salmon was just too big to give up I guess.
Funny, I never saw one do that but, there weren't a lot of eagles around "The Point" back then either.

We always figured the one we plucked out was flapping away trying to get air but now, I'm thinking it was his first dip and he hadn't swum(?) before. He was plum wore out though.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I was jogging on the seawalk and and eagle dropped a 2" diameter aerie building stick from 100' or so and crashed down less than a foot from me.

So yeah. They can certainly release.

Somebody needs to tell this to the raptor folks at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, then. What they said in their raptor demonstration that we attended some years ago is that when they swoop down to grab something they can't see their feet. So they can't judge the right moment to close their talons. So they have this nerve or something in the middle of each foot that when it's touched it automatically causes a muscle reaction that snaps the talons closed. Once they are closed the bird cannot re-open them until there is "weight on the wheels" so to speak.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Biologist Phil Schempf works for the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service in raptor and migratory bird management. He has no doubt an eagle could kill a small dog or cat if the opportunity presented itself, and carry it or at least pieces of it to a nest. “My feeling is that it doesn't happen very often though,” he wrote in an e-mail. “I'd speculate that is due to eagles being leery of approaching people or foraging in novel areas such as people's yards. Eagles typically are foraging along beaches or riparian areas where it is rare for dogs and cats to be unattended by their owners.”
An eagle is sometimes spotted in the water, talons latched on a heavy salmon, laboriously rowing to shore with its wings. It’s a clumsy swimming style, but it works. It’s said that the eagle can’t let go, that the talons somehow lock on to the fish. That’s not true. There is no involuntary locking mechanism, and the eagle could let go if it wished. The hungry bird has simply decided the meal is worth the swim.
Jacobson said that over the years there have been a number of observations of eagles grabbing fish and getting pulled underwater. He said it’s not because they can’t release their talons, “They can let go,” he said.
“It’s common for them to get a hold of a fish that’s too heavy to fly with…they can’t take off but they can tow it to shore, rowing with their wings. They’re pretty good swimmers. They have thick down so they float pretty well. Occasionally they’ll drown if they’re too far from shore.”
Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Yeah, I read that. There seem to be differing opinions among the experts.

Regarding eagles eating pets, a friend on Whidbey Island was present when the people who purchased the neighboring property had a dead tree cut down a couple of years ago. There was a long-abandoned eagle nest in the tree. When the tree was down they went over to examine the next. In it were seven (I think) dog collars, all with the tags still attached. In rummaging through the nest there were bones and bits of skeletons that were later identified as dogs. Very small dogs-- Chihuahuas or similar-- but dogs nevertheless.

We've seen an eagle take off from the water although it was not swimming at the time so we didn't know of that ability until last year. It had jumped in to grab a fish head next to a cleaning station in the harbor we fish out of up north. A co-worker has seen them to this on several occasions at the north end of Lake Washington.

They basically raise their fully extended wings and slam them down on the water. The air pressure and leverage against the water lifts their body free and they by flapping rapidly and hard they can get going in ground effect and then as they build speed they can begin to climb.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #33

City: Kasilof Alaska
I have good friends who had a small house dog. One morning she was outside letting him do his morning business. An eagle swopped down and took him right in front of her. That was one unhappy woman let me tell you.
As for cats we had a feral cat problem along the river bank for a while. The eagles took care of the problem. So I am pretty sure house sized cats are not a problem for them.
I do think a Jack Russell might be just border line for them. No matter how often I let ours outside they do not show any interest in him

David
DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quite a few cats disapeared at Thorne Bay Alaska when we were there. Our cat rarely walked out in the open ... just slunk along the edge of the house ect. She was very wary outside but boss queen inside.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #35

City: anacortes wa
Vessel Name: american pride
Vessel Model: american tug 36/5
eagles/harleys

Greetings ,Hogwash, [is that anything like propwash??] Been reading the forum for a year or so but to date have few posts-- one of which i hope , [but think i did] not piss off Marin--had to do with Roche harbor and referring to a flagstaff as a stick--but I digress-- In the picture on your profile, are those sparks coming off your kickstand?? I can relate. Will you be attending the oyster run in Anacortes this year? if so pm me and maybe we could hook up for a beer [or 2] I 'm on O dock at cap sante--- enjoy reading your posts,, sorry to be so off topic--- capt steve-- AMERICAN PRIDE= 36/5 american tug
steveandtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve,
There wouldn't be any sparks flying if hogwash would lean into the turn a bit.
And don't worry about Marin. I've thrown a lot of stuff at Marin over 8 or so years and I think we're still friends. He has good respect for a good argument or a point well made. I think hogwash is'nt much different in that respect.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:39 AM   #37
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Steve,
There wouldn't be any sparks flying if hogwash would lean into the turn a bit.
And don't worry about Marin. I've thrown a lot of stuff at Marin over 8 or so years and I think we're still friends. He has good respect for a good argument or a point well made. I think hogwash is'nt much different in that respect.
Let me join with Manyboat's comment. Pure enjoyment with the both of them and Manyboats

Al-27'Marben Pocket-CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 AM   #38
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
We live in the Ravenna neighborhood in Seattle. Your basic near-downtown city neighborhood. Two years ago I was leaving the house to take my daughter to school when we heard the loudest, raucous screeching you can imagine. We looked up to a very big fir in my neighbor's yard, and all of a sudden an eagle flew out of the tree with an entire crow's nest (no jokes please!) in his talons, you could just see the crow chicks still in the nest. About 30 crows came out of the tree right after him chasing him just screeching like you couldn't believe. The eagle flew off holding the nest with the crows hot on his tail. We watched till they were out sight, don't know what finally happened. But it was pretty startling first thing in the morning.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 AM   #39
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
We live in the Ravenna neighborhood in Seattle. Your basic near-downtown city neighborhood. Two years ago I was leaving the house to take my daughter to school when we heard the loudest, raucous screeching you can imagine. We looked up to a very big fir in my neighbor's yard, and all of a sudden an eagle flew out of the tree with an entire crow's nest (no jokes please!) in his talons, you could just see the crow chicks still in the nest. About 30 crows came out of the tree right after him chasing him just screeching like you couldn't believe. The eagle flew off holding the nest with the crows hot on his tail. We watched till they were out sight, don't know what finally happened. But it was pretty startling first thing in the morning.

Often in the Spring for some reason, the crows will frustrate eagles sitting on tree branches, finally driving the eagle into action. Then the fun begins in the sky. They drive the poor eagle nuts!
In your case of viewing THD- 'it is as the crows fly!!-
Cheers,
Al-Ketchikan

Al is offline   Reply With Quote