A classy way to circumvent the law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
While testing new navigation systems today on our ship's launch in preparation for a two-week voyage of discovery into northern waters I took some friends past this most clever vessel. A well-placed friend of mine designed the generator installation in this vessel when it was built by Dakota Creek in 1999. Length-- 70'. Beam--- 36'.

The owner, an extremely wealthy individual with ties to a global software giant, owns property on this lake as well as on an island to the north. Both communities prohibit helicopter operations to and from residential properties.

Focusing on the keywords "prohibit," "to," "from,"and "residential," this particular person realized that there was nothing in the statutes prohibiting helicopter operations from a location that wasn't his residential property.

So he had this vessel constructed. A fully functioning vessel, its sole purpose is to serve as a floating helicopter pad. Normally moored in front of the owners house in the location depicted here, friends and business associates can helicopter in and out at will without breaking the letter of the law.

When necessary, the vessel, appropriately named Dragonfly, is motored off the lake and north to the islands and anchored in a small bay just off its owner's property.

An ingenious albeit expensive solution to an inconvenient problem.

Attachments

• Pad 1 .jpg
    Pad 1 .jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Pad 2.jpg
    Pad 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Pad 3.jpg
    Pad 3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 250
what would he build if he had a leer jet?

what would he build if he had a leer jet?

My guess is that he has a Leer or a G5 at the airport. That's what the helicopter would be for.

It makes me feel better that even rich people have problems in their lives.....

It makes me feel better that even rich people have problems in their lives.....

Some time ago a guy wrote a letter to a danish newspaper complaining about the difficulties he had recycling 2 and 3 gallon magnum champagnebottles on a sunday morning in his local neighbourhood that happened to be where the most expensive houses in Dennark where the richest people live. Pretty funny but was eventually found out to be satiric and fake...

is this on Lopez, WA?

If bored take the Ft Lauderdale water taxi route and learn all about the problems from the narrator of the rich who own property(s) along the taxi routes, very entertaining.

"If bored take the Ft Lauderdale water taxi route and learn all about the problems from the narrator of the rich who own property(s) along the taxi routes, very entertaining."

In Stanley Park, Vancouver, there is a horse drawn bus that goes around the park on nice days, with that same narrator entertaining the patrons. You wouldn't believe the stories they tell, when they get to passing my moorage, about how my boat never moves, that I and the other members of my yacht club are so rich, etc.
When I have heard them coming, I always listen, to learn some heretofore unknown tidbit about my fellow members. I just hope the patrons realize they must take what they hear with a large dose of scepticism, as it is likely just a load from the rear of the propulsion system.

... I always listen, to learn some heretofore unknown tidbit about my fellow members. I just hope the patrons realize they must take what they hear with a large dose of scepticism, as it is likely just a load from the rear of the propulsion system.

When I was a kid my grandparents had a house in Acapulco, which my grandfather had helped develop. I was down there with them one summer when my grandfather took me on one of the tour boats. As it passed my grandparents house the guide announced that it was the Queen of England's Acapulco home and pointed to my grandmother, who was waving down to us as we passed, as the Queen's elderly housekeeper. My grandmother, upon hearing the story, proclaimed that 'we are not amused.' (yes, wrong Queen, I know, but still it was a charming response).

I seem to recall that Frank Robinson (Robinson Helicopters) purchased his own island...or maybe it was Dean Kaman (the Segway scooter guy) who also happened to own Enstrom Helicopters.

I seem to recall that Frank Robinson (Robinson Helicopters) purchased his own island...or maybe it was Dean Kaman (the Segway scooter guy) who also happened to own Enstrom Helicopters.

Dean Kaman bought North Dumpling island in Fishers Island Sound. It is between Fishers Island, New York and Groton, CT. Built a house there powered by wind and solar.

Rob

I find it inconceivable that a Frenchman would be privy to this situation.

Being an outlaw is not classy.

But it doesn't appear he is an outlaw. Appears he came up with a legal, albeit exspensive, solution to an inconvienent problem. Good for him and I hope he enjoys his Lear too! :)

But it doesn't appear he is an outlaw. Appears he came up with a legal, albeit exspensive, solution to an inconvienent problem. Good for him and I hope he enjoys his Lear too! :)

And imagine how many folks are and were employed building those toys. I am pleased to see wealth put people to work. Dragonfly was not just an ugly barge either :) Looked pretty cool to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom