Chittenden Locks in Ballard, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I was in Seattle last week and took the opportunity to watch the "Circus" at the Chittenden Locks. This can be quite entertaining and a guy in a single screw with no bow thruster provided the entertainment! He had a "hell uv a time" trying to line his boat up on one side of the lock. Meanwhile the lock personnel were yelling at him from both sides! After ascertaining that the real show was on the fly bridge, I switched my stare to the boat's pilot & watched as he turned several shades of red, but to his credit he did not pass out! You just couldn't stop feeling sorry for the poor SOB.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0286-2.jpg
    IMG_0286-2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 240
Codger-it is even more fun to watch on really busy days when they load 40-50 boats in the large lock! It can be hilarious. One guy will have forgotten fenders, one guy doesn't have 35' lines for the large lock. It is alwys something and always entertaining.

We have lived in Seattle for 17 years now, and it is still my favorite place in Seattle. We first lived not far from the Locks and starting when my daughter was about 3, we would go down almost every Sunday morning. It was our kind of special "Dad/Daughter" thing. Now, at 17, she will still go down there with me once in a while. Also, at 17, she can take the boat through the locks pretty much on her own.

Been thru the locks so many times I have lost count, mostly on the tugs when I worked at Western Towboat. When I was still living there, my wife and I took off on our 1952 26' Chris for across the Sound, and went into the small lock. Now in there you have a wall that goes up and down with the water and to tie up to they have what they call buttons. Well my wife is on the bow with her line, I am running the boat, single gas and doing my thing hoping wifey can get the button. I turned around to go get a stern line out and I hear a lot of hollering! I look up and wifey has not only not gotten the line on the button but because the bow was pulling away from the wall, she just stepped of the bow onto the wall and was standing there looking for all the world like she belonged there!! I said what the hell are you doing over there?!!? That's not an elevator!! Well wifey says, I had nowhere else to go! Soooo, I made the stern line fast and then nosed the bow over so she could get back aboard! I thought the poor lockmaster was going to have a coronary! This would be about 1979. Lock follies we call them.

One of our best lock stories is the 18' open bow boat that tried to tie up to us with bungee cords.

I was in Seattle last week and took the opportunity to watch the "Circus" at the Chittenden Locks. This can be quite entertaining and a guy in a single screw with no bow thruster provided the entertainment! He had a "hell uv a time" trying to line his boat up on one side of the lock. Meanwhile the lock personnel were yelling at him from both sides!
Looks like you were there mid-afternoon. It gets more interesting later in the day when the winds are on-shore - lots of boats get blown sideways like the one in your story. That said, those lock tenders could have been responsible as well. A number of times I've come in being waved to one side only to have the innermost tender wave me to the other side - not an easy maneuver with a single screw in a current with a following breeze. But you just have to deal with it - they can make you look like a nitwit if they don't like your attitude.

It's a hoot watching the boats come and go through those locks. We watched a ~80' boat come in one day and the skipper had a heck of a time keeping it lined up with the lock as he made his approach (he was headed out). After he had to stop several times and shift engines to bring the bow to his port side it dawned on me that he probably had not turned off the auto pilot.

He kept bumping against the stbd wall as he came in and when he got about even with me where I could talk with him without yelling I asked him if he'd remembered to disengage the auto pilot.

He turned around, disengaged it and turned back to me, all red faced, and just mouthed the word "Thanks".

In all my years boating in Puget Sound I have never been through the locks. It intimidates me to be honest.

We use to moore on Lake Union, so we been thru many times. Being a big boat we were usually the first boat in and put on the wall, so smaller boats tied to us. The hardest was to get a line on the buttons as our bow is 10 ft of the water. Thankfully we have hydraulic bow thruster as many times there was an hour wait. We never went through the large lock as I always requested the small. We were some what known as we were one of the larger classic well maintained boats. I don't miss the locks.

We have bumpers for both sides and extra bumpers and line for other boaters. Also put the eagle on the preferred list so we had priority to enter the locks, I woul call before we reached the lock so when we got there we went right in. Usually went thru early in the morning, before 7, or late at night after 7. Never went thru during a holliday or week end.

We always avoided the locks on weekends and holidays, except once and we managed to arrive on opening day. What a mistake. :facepalm: Both locks were in use and there was still an over flow of boats. Patience was the term of the day. Like Walt's picture, lots of embarrassed skippers plus a huge peanut gallery on the lawn and locks which upped the pucker factor.

The big locks are pretty big (80 ft × 825 ft) when you consider that the Panama canal locks are 110 ft x 1,050 ft.

Also put the eagle on the preferred list so we had priority to enter the locks, I would call before we reached the lock so when we got there we went right in. Usually went thru early in the morning, before 7, or late at night after 7. Never went thru during a holliday or week end.

Preferred list? Are you saying you claimed commercial operation?

Keith

We have locked through The Promise many times (single engine, no thrusters) and before that Pondeed our SJ23. The key is planning, speed, and preparation. After the first few trips through it becomes fun!

On one busy weekend, a small open bow boat was headed to raft up to us, the inexperienced skipper turned a complete 180 as he approached. The lock tenders were not impressed as much as we were.:rofl:

Up close and personal in the small lock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. dh. "...I have never been through the locks. It intimidates me to be honest." Indeed. I can easily see how such an exercise can be intimidating. That being said, the lockmasters have seen it all, many, many times over. Once you have a few chambers under your belt, it will be old hat. Trust me.

It's quite surprising to me how many people have never gone through at least one lock in their boating travels. We were picking up our, new to us at the time, boat in Ft. Meyers FL a number of years back and opted to cross the state via the Okeechobee waterway with Ft. Lauderdale as our final destination.

We had our BIL, a "licensed" US merchant marine captain (6-pack with many hundreds of hours on the water) along as crew. He got extremely nervous as we approached the first lock station being a lock newbie. I later tried to figure out now many lockages the Admiral and I had done in our 20+ years at that time and it worked out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ so not a big deal for us.

I guess the largest lift/descent we've done in one shot is about 60'. Lift locks and marine railways are all part of the adventure.

Last edited:
I will add it to my list of things to do at some some point. Of course the other part is that I don't like crowds of boats. Seattle is pretty busy and I have yet to find a good reason to go into the lakes.

The big locks are pretty big (80 ft × 825 ft) when you consider that the Panama canal locks are 110 ft x 1,050 ft.

Larry, you need to head Hobo up the Columbia to try some of our locks. Ice Harbor Lock, the first one as you head up the Snake, is 86' x 675' and has an average lift of 105'.

img_441332_0_dbe3e5454d1ab145451a3aed00f585ac.jpg

We've been through all of the four locks on the Columbia and the four on the Snake several times and they're pretty much the same. Small differences between them but once you've mastered one you can easily handle any of them.

Dave-you are pretty much spot on about lack of reasons to go into the lakes. We do go to 4-5 Husky football games each year, that is a lot of fun. We did Opening Day, 4th of July and Seafair Hydro races the first year we had the boat. Never do that again. Each of those is just a boating disaster waiting to happen. Oher than having to go in to get to a yard. the Lakes are not all that interesting. Lake Washington is pretty boring, even seeing Bill Gate's house gets old quick. You can only anchor overnight in one spot, near Seward Park and there is nothing there. I'd rather drive to Bellevue/Kirkland. We only go through when necessary.

Larry, you need to head Hobo up the Columbia to try some of our locks. Ice Harbor Lock, the first one as you head up the Snake, is 86' x 675' and has an average lift of 105'...

Mike: We'd like to do that some time. That 105' lift is huge! I think the Panama Canal has a total lift of 85' with the largest lift being ~45' at the Miraflores Lock.

Wifey B: Shocks me all those who haven't been through that lock. Sorry, I'm like the chicken crossing the road. I want to get to the other side. :blush:

Gotta see what's on the other side. Let me through...:rofl:

I have no idea how many locks I've been through. With all the records hubby keeps, that's one I don't think we have without going back through a lot of history. But we did lock through in Ballard, both ways. Had to get back out too. Early on a weekday morning.

Went through those on the TN River long ago and on someone else's boat. Okeechobee many times. Panama Canal. By the time we get to Lake Ontario though will have had our fill of locks for a while. 22 on the Erie, 7 on the Oswego. Then no more locks until Welland in June. :whistling:

I moor on Portage Bay which for those not from Seattle, is just around University Bridge from Lake Union. I have been transiting the Ballard Locks for a very long time, in wood and in plastic, singles and twins, thruster and non-thruster. It's always interesting, but not intimidating anymore. It is a must see for your out of town guests especially on a busy day. When approaching, I have my short 35' lines for the small lock on the cleat, and my 60' lines required for the large lock flaked on deck until I know which lock they are going to put me in. On a busy holiday weekend, there is little question--it will be the large lock. If I am single handing, which I do a lot, I will only go in the large lock if there is a larger boat for me to raft onto, and if not, I will wait for the small lock which can make for a very long wait. I make mistakes sometimes, or get unexpectedly pushed by wind or my wonderful wife is having a day and just can't get the stern line down and have had lock attendants get impatient when it is taking more time than they think it should. All of us who lock-through have undoubtedly encountered the yelling lock attendant. Mostly they are good folks who just sometimes snap. There have been a few over the years who are just that way most of the time--but they don't seem to last. You have to be patient, go at your own pace and remember you run your boat not that someone who is yelling at you.

I moor on Portage Bay which for those not from Seattle, is just around University Bridge from Lake Union. I have been transiting the Ballard Locks for a very long time, in wood and in plastic, singles and twins, thruster and non-thruster. It's always interesting, but not intimidating anymore. It is a must see for your out of town guests especially on a busy day. When approaching, I have my short 35' lines for the small lock on the cleat, and my 60' lines required for the large lock flaked on deck until I know which lock they are going to put me in. On a busy holiday weekend, there is little question--it will be the large lock. If I am single handing, which I do a lot, I will only go in the large lock if there is a larger boat for me to raft onto, and if not, I will wait for the small lock which can make for a very long wait. I make mistakes sometimes, or get unexpectedly pushed by wind or my wonderful wife is having a day and just can't get the stern line down and have had lock attendants get impatient when it is taking more time than they think it should. All of us who lock-through have undoubtedly encountered the yelling lock attendant. Mostly they are good folks who just sometimes snap. There have been a few over the years who are just that way most of the time--but they don't seem to last. You have to be patient, go at your own pace and remember you run your boat not that someone who is yelling at you.

Wifey B: We went and observed by land the day before we went through. As to the meanie yelling lock attendant, we didn't experience that but we sure did hear from others about it. I told them that kids who didn't want to do what I instructed them to do probably thought I was a mean teacher, although I'm sure I handled it a bit better than the lockmaster.

I think that lock becomes such a clusterf... sometimes that he has to yell to try to restore order. :eek:

I moor on Portage Bay which for those not from Seattle, is just around University Bridge from Lake Union.

A high school buddy has his modest little boat there in Portage Bay according to AIS. Not sure why he keeps it there. His last boat he always swapped between Gig Harbor and Roche. Maybe he had trouble finding a slip?

A high school buddy has his modest little boat there in Portage Bay according to AIS. Not sure why he keeps it there. His last boat he always swapped between Gig Harbor and Roche. Maybe he had trouble finding a slip?

Our main year around slip was at the south end of lake union. However we came off the lake into the sound for a couple of months in the summer. We loved mooring living on lake union. When they re organized structure the south end traffic became a mess, and they increased the mileage but decreased the parking. All the times we went thru the locks, they were freindly and helpful. But I am thick skin.:flowers:

We liked to winter in the fresh water, opening day, 4th of July and new years, boat shows. City of Seattle was great.

Dave-you are pretty much spot on about lack of reasons to go into the lakes. We do go to 4-5 Husky football games each year, that is a lot of fun. We did Opening Day, 4th of July and Seafair Hydro races the first year we had the boat. Never do that again. Each of those is just a boating disaster waiting to happen. Oher than having to go in to get to a yard. the Lakes are not all that interesting. Lake Washington is pretty boring, even seeing Bill Gate's house gets old quick. You can only anchor overnight in one spot, near Seward Park and there is nothing there. I'd rather drive to Bellevue/Kirkland. We only go through when necessary.
To each his own - I find the entire ship canal fascinating. And I like the Eastside bays for anchoring overnight (then again, I was born on the Eastside and that's where my boat is anyway). But you also left out the restaurants - quite a few with docks starting with Chinooks near the locks. And then there's the Christmas Ship parade. And we often participate in the Special People's Cruise. And we take the big and small boats to Carillon Point. And downtown Kirkland. And the small boats to Leschi. And Gene Coulon at the south end of Lake Washington. The ironic thing? We have family guests from out of the country staying with us and my wife wants to take the boat to Bainbridge Island this weekend so they can experience the locks.

The first time through the the Ballard Locks was on the Argosy tour from downtown Seattle to Lake Union. Not sure if that is still offered, but might be a good way to experience it the first time for those that are wary. But the most intimate way we have locked through is in a kayak. There is an outfit on Lake Union that provides guided kayak sunset trips. Highly recommended.

Mike: We'd like to do that some time. That 105' lift is huge! I think the Panama Canal has a total lift of 85' with the largest lift being ~45' at the Miraflores Lock.
If you find your bow headed toward the Columbia, give me a shout.

Awesome outbound with out of town family today. Barely slowed down to make a 10 minute transit.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463258887.325300.jpg

Keith

I hope folks don't mind if i restart this thread. I might have an opportunity to cruise through the Ballard lock this month but could sure use some advice before we do. we've been through locks on the east coast but never in the PNW. any comments on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. If you absolutely want to use the smaller lock, you can do this but you might have to wait longer, is this correct...?
2. Is mid-August just going to be too crazy busy for the smaller lock? -we could go through on a weekday if it helps
(I guess "too busy" for us might be having to wait more than an hour or so to get in on each side)
3. If it is too crazy, when does the schedule get a lot easier, perhaps Sept after school starts?
4. Recommendations on a good transient slip for one night in Lake Union or Washington...?

Last edited:
Weekends are the big traffic times, and primarily near the end of the day when everyone is coming back in. Week days are much less crowded, as are early mornings.

In general you do not get to pick which lock you go through. They will direct you. But unless its a high volume time, you will most likely go through the small lock. But you need to be prepared for both.

I can suggest a couple of things to be better prepared, and make the trip easier.

- Rig lines on both sides, for and aft, so you are ready to tie on either side. You do not have control over which side you will tie off on in the small lock - they will tell you which side to go on. In the large lock, you will tie port side going up into the canal, and stbd side heading down to sea.

- In the small lock, you will keep both ends of the line on your boat, and toss a loop over one of the horns on the floating bollards.

- In the large lock, if you are against the wall, you send the spliced loop end up to the attendant and they drop it over a bollard. You then control the boat with the other end. You will need to take in line as the water rises, and let it out as the water drops. When going up, be ready for a work out, and make sure you have strong hands at each line. Use thrusters is they are available, especially if you have a bunch of boats rafted to you. If you are rafted to someone else, it's much easier and you just need to tie off to them.

Don't get too panicked about it. Anticipation is always the worst. And I guarantee there will be other boaters screwing up WAY worse than you.

I hope folks don't mind if i restart this thread. I might have an opportunity to cruise through the Ballard lock this month but could sure use some advice before we do. we've been through locks on the east coast but never in the PNW. any comments on the following would be greatly appreciated:
1. If you absolutely want to use the smaller lock, you can do this but you might have to wait longer, is this correct...?
2. Is mid-August just going to be too crazy busy for the smaller lock? -we could go through on a weekday ...?

You will not get to choose. If they are using the big lock, they will need to maximize the gaggle (peleton?). Believe it or not, water conservation is part of the lockmaster's charter.

Given the size of your boat, there's a 50-50 chance of being on the wall. All depends on how many bigger boats are present. In my 41' I've been on the wall just once. The "walkin' bosses" have seen it all, just tell em up front your crew is inexperienced and they'll be very gentle.

Do be sure you have a pair of 50' lines standing ready and the crew knows how to pass them through the appropriate deck hardware.

Or transit during business hours, people in Seattle have jobs and demand will be low. In any case, if feasible, take your crew down to watch a few cycles. It is very entertaining and, as they say at parachute school, "Knowledge dispells fear."

Have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks, this is great information. I'm not so much worried about handling our boat through this process.... i'm mostly worried about being in the big lock and having other unknown boats rafting up to us, not knowing how they will behave...

Thanks, this is great information. I'm not so much worried about handling our boat through this process.... i'm mostly worried about being in the big lock and having other unknown boats rafting up to us, not knowing how they will behave...

Oh, the same thing they're wondering about you? Well, have plenty of fenders to protect your boat from both sides. Most of the others don't want damage anymore than you do. If you want the least stress then do it very early on a weekday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom